Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 303 guests, and 23 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    A
    afoonah Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    DD8 scored GAI 141, Verbal Comprehension 146 and Fluid reasoning 140 on the WISC V. She was sick/fatigued with mild fever 2 of 3 days, but we didn't want to cancel full scheduled days of private testing without significant illness. I think she was motivated and seemed cooperative but took breaks. So do you think the test is likely accurate and/or would you retest in a year with WJ or SB5, or even a WISC-V re-do, or just let it go. Her achievement testing is lower and wouldn't have met the previous DYS bar anyway, so I'm not sure whether she'd have tons to gain. Are the opportunities, services or door-opening that big of a deal? Is it more of a benchmark? We are homeschooling, so I'm not sure in what ways the scores are very useful.

K
    K
    Hello, afoonah. Sorry to hear that your daughter was sick on the day of testing.

I am homeschooling my DYS as a result of the test results. It helped us to realize that he is PG and that the educational struggles we were experiencing in a half-day kindergarten program were not going to go anywhere.

DYS is helpful in terms of parental support as well as some online learning opportunities. I would like to go to a summit at some point but we haven't yet. I think DYS is more important for those who are still in public school, from an advocacy stand point. Does that make sense?

I
    I
    If your child does not become a DYS, there is still much support available from DITD in the form of information on the Davidson Database, summer courses, this public forum, the Educator's Guild, and the Davidson Fellowship.

G
    G
    It isn't make or break, especially as a homeschooler, but it is really nice. You could certainly try testing again as performance on these tests does vary. You mentioned her achievement scores were lower. Is there a chance there may be an LD? My son is dyslexic, and I believe this affected his IQ scores.

A
    afoonah Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Thank you! It's so nice to hear from fellow homeschooler. Yes. It does help. In a different kind of way than expected.

Test results did influence our HS decision as our dd's learning profile and traditional school did not mix well and she was unhappy. We got testing to rule out LD, and discovered something different. So, while DYS would be lovely, perhaps we've already got what we most needed.

Not sure if we'll do a re-do. It would only be to try for DYS and for no other reason I can think of. Maybe it's a question for the psych, as to how accurate it was in leu of mild illness. I imagine it's fairly accurate. We'd just be hoping it might bump a bit. And, if I understand correctly, an older test version that has been out awhile tends to stretch high scores. The something effect... Other circumstances may have dragged her a bit too. A monotonous, under stimulating year that wasn't working for her and her resulting disengagement.

It was very good that we tested and made changes. And the scores are a bit of a guide for me as teacher. I'd love to hear your approach to homeschooling you PG son. Do you have a favorite book? Im glad DYS is adding to your experience. Thanks for your story.

A
    afoonah Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Thanks for other thoughts. I have barely scratched the surface on this site and am so grateful it is here, especially with the slow processing and lower EF skills. No actual LD, but these factors do create a good deal of challenge and we are in the 2e camp in every way. Skills are fairly scattered just now. Addition fluency was in the 3rd percentile, just to offer a range. Though math problem solving was one of the highest scores. Lots of uneven development I hope to improve. Which also poses a 2e question: emphasize strengthening work habits and foundations skills more or inspiring more. That's been a tough balance in our brief HS beginnings. Now there are so many new challenges. We are rural.

K
    K
    Afoonah, unless I'm reading the criteria incorrectly, it seems that your dd has met them. She received 145+ on one of the tests for aptitude. Am I misinterpreting something?

I
    I
    You may be looking at the qualifications for the WISC-IV, rather than WISC-V which the OP's child took.

K
    K
    Yes, I was, Indigo. Thanks.

I'm wondering if the minimum is harder to achieve on the WISV-V than the WISC-IV or if it's simply that they're quite different.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations