Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 391 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #21877 07/31/08 12:31 PM
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    I have been lurking for awhile and have decided to jump in.
    I have a DS9
    who was accepted as a DYS in May. Our school dist. still does not accept him as gifted or LD. We are really frustrated that we see this child as 2E but our school simply says not gifted, not LD just an average kid with some mild learning struggles.
    He has CAPD, SPD, and dyslexia. How do you get the official 2E label from the school? Do you really need to be below grade level to be considered 2E?

moonbeam #21880 07/31/08 12:39 PM
    Welcome, moonbeam. Congratulations on your ds being accepted into the DYS program. I find it puzzling that your district will not accept your YS into their gifted program. I would ask your family consultant to contact them for you.

I'm sorry I am not very knowledgeable about LDs, but I'm sure someone else with some LD experience will be able to answer your question soon.

I just wanted to welcome you to the forum.

Summer

L
    L
    My 10 year old has SPD and motor dyspraxia and when he went to Kindergarten he was not eligible for any kind of therapy because he was not below grade level in anything. When I contacted our state's special ed dept. and the gifted ed coordinator they confirmed that there is no law requiring them to provide an appropriate education for twice exceptional children. My son would have had to be below grade level to receive help for the LD and handwriting issues and he would been held back from learning at the level he was capable of because of his issues. The state gifted coordinator and teachers at our school and even the superintendent agreed it wasn't fair, but said there was nothing they could do unless the laws were changed. I was told that I needed to homeschool so that is what we are doing now. I wrote letters to my legislators and the governor and the state superintendent of public schools and didn't even receive a reply. I hope you have better luck than I did.

I have a DS9
    who was accepted as a DYS in May. Our school dist. still does not accept him as gifted or LD.

WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?!

Oh, excuse my manners, welcome, hello, congrats.

Now, then...
    What the heck! I cannot believe that is possible.

Is DYS attempting to help you?
    I hope so.

Neato

Last edited by incogneato; 07/31/08 01:09 PM. Reason: typo
    incogneato #21895 07/31/08 01:36 PM
    Welcome!! Yes I would try to get DYS to intercede since from what I read, is one of the helpful things being DYS gets you!

Dazey

moonbeam #21896 07/31/08 01:38 PM
    G
    G
    Welcome!

Sounds like a job for the DYS folks. Have to agree with neato on this one. Hard to believe any SD could argue that a kid who qualifies for DYS isn't gifted. That is mindboggling.

gratified3 #21902 07/31/08 02:08 PM
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Thank you everyone for the welcome.

DYS is in the process of writing letters- it is summer and there are lots of vacations and re-assignments of principals and staff. When I spoke with the new principal last week, he said he had never heard of the DYS program. DH and I have been living in a nightmare for about 4 years. We are in a highly rated urban school dist. that does not believe in "outside" testing. They have certain achievement criteria that must be met within the school to be in the gifted program.

I have felt rather alone and unsupported. It was on the advice of our family consultant that I decided to post here asking for support. I would still like to know how do you receive the official 2E label for a child? Because DS remains above or at grade level, he is not considered to have an LD.I am not sure I want any services, I would like him to be challenged academically and have some understanding from the teachers for his difficulties.

We have been homeschooling DS and he is happy but I feel like a fish out of water. Is the big secret that 2E children are all homeschooled?

moonbeam #21906 07/31/08 02:21 PM
    Isn't it usually as a result of a discrepency between the IQ and achievement test scores? A child with a PG IQ and average achievement scores, for example, is both GT and not living up to potential.

What testing does your school do to ID GT kids? Maybe that is the place to start if they will not accept outside testing. Do they do any IQ testing, or only achievement tests for GT program placement?

Another consideration: is the GT program worth the fight? What I mean is that if your child is only going to get, say, 30 minutes of pull-out program per week, and it will be "fluff" instead of actual challenge work, then maybe it's not worth banging your head against the wall to get him in.

Assuming you think the GT program will meet your son's needs, then I'd say that homeschooling is one potential solution for 2E kids. But if that's not what you want to do, then I vote to stick a pin in that and try to solve the school problem. Homeschooling isn't going anywhere. You can always go to that if DYS can't help you.

I'm glad you're here, and I hope we can help! Or at least make you feel better...

Last edited by Kriston; 07/31/08 02:22 PM. Reason: Crossposted with Dottie...

Kriston
    Dottie #21909 07/31/08 02:46 PM
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    DS has IQ in exceptionally gifted range.
    He had a WIAT-2 given 3 years ago. His strength was in the numerical operations. There is more than a 50 point spread with the weakness in spelling, writing, and reading.

We had a WJ3 given this summer. The strength remains broad math calculation. His reading fluency remains more than 50 points lower on the standard score.

In anticipation of going to school this fall, our school tested him with the Terra Nova. We were asking for acceleration in math. He received some very strange results.
    He received a 94% in reading and a 91% in math. With those results, he will receive no acceleration in math and no help in reading. I am not familiar with the test but I am baffled how he was able to score so well in reading. I would have loved to have seen the tests. It is not a timed issue, he has problems with memory and reading.

Dottie #21910 07/31/08 02:47 PM
    Originally Posted by Dottie
    I think your best support has to come somewhat locally, which given your school situation, could be hard to do.

I think Dottie is right. You may want to post in the "Regions" section to see if you can find someone from your state who can direct you to local resources. Laws vary widely from state to state. For example, in Texas dyslexia is considered a disability and in Virginia it is not.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM