Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 133 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    P
    OP Offline
    P
    Anyone have experience with CTY science classes? While I’ve seen many threads on math and a few on language arts, I can’t find anyone describing experiences with CTY science classes.

Scenario: DS11 is a mathy guy, just finishing grade 5 (no acceleration or in-school enrichment). He loves physics - especially cosmology and particle physics - but has had no real science education thus far. He has random bits of high-level knowledge and theory gleaned from videos and books, but lacks a lot of the basics and underlying math. I want to feed that love with real knowledge and info he can use and think about and apply, but I don’t want to turn him off with something that feels too drudgery or school-like (the two go together in his mind). He is not particularly fond of formal after-schooling, though he is insatiable for new ideas and creating theories. My questions:

* Depth: From the samples available, the CTY physics (grades 6-8) seems much more basic than I would expect, for example spending an awful lot of time on explaining states of matter. Does it get more substantial/ complex/ thinking required, or does it stay more as an overview of facts rather than a deeper exploration of what they might mean? 

* Interactive: Does the course really get interactive, and if so, how? The samples are really just a voice reciting info.

* Testing and assignments: As noted, don’t want it to feel like school, or make-workish. Big writing projects would also be a turn-off (we have writing issues). How big/ significant/ demanding are these, and what are they like? Does the student mostly work within the on-line program, with these incorporated and flowing naturally out of the lessons, or are they more distinct and formal? Can you skip them if you don’t want a grade?

Learning by doing is important, but not if the doing is onerous enough to take the fun out of the learning. It’s not like we’d ever be able to claim credit for CTY courses around here, so what matters most is getting him excited about learning. Low, slow and shallow would all be turn offs. I think he’d benefit a lot from having more solid, consistent foundations, with practice actually applying the ideas to real problems, which is why I am looking at a course like this. However, I wonder if he’d nonetheless be better off with Great Courses or viewing MOOC materials, which may do less to strengthen his foundations/ practical applications, but could keep him challenged and engaged with big ideas (if still unable to calculate a vector). Suggestions?

A
    A
    Platypus, I haven't used these courses personally, so I can't comment meaningfully on scope, but I recalled reading that the CTY science courses are based on another curriculum (Plato), which can be purchased much less expensively through the Homeschool Buyers' Co-op. I think this was the discussion I found that information in originally. If you go the CTY/Plato route, hopefully this can save you some cheese.

http://giftedissues.davidsongifted....e/Re_Experience_with_CTY.html#Post211633

Hopefully someone with experience in the science courses can chime in!

What is to give light must endure burning.
    S
    S
    I can't offer any help on CTY, but wanted to suggest you consider Life of Fred: Physics. You should be able to get it through your local library interlibrary loan program. I haven't read it, but have heard good things. It should not be too school-like, but should be content-rich.

http://www.ztwistbooks.com/node/35

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM