Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 391 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    M
    M
    IXL.com‎ is another math online resource. I didn't find it very appealing but it might be good for test-taking practice.

I think the appeal of DreamBox for me is that it feels a bit like a modern day Montessori math. As an adult, I have the patience to sit through it but DD didn't.

Beast Academy while it is not an online course seems like a challenging curriculum and it is definitely cheaper than therapy. laugh If I were homeschooling or afterschooling, I'd combine SM and BA then move onto AoP.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    I have yet to see it in action (and don't have any plans to purchase a subscription, since #3 is very fond of paper and pencil, so will probably have to wait for a friend to get it!), but do know that there is a new online Singapore Math out, which is supposed to be a complete math curriculum, with instructional modules, practice exercises, and assessments.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    A
    A
    Dreambox -- we've had accounts for about 2 years and interest waxes and wanes. Right now both kids are favoring Dreambox, but it was slow going there for awhile when they were both stuck with tedious stuff they didn't much like. I like that it's very visual--DD would normally avoid the visual because she likes to just manipulate numbers in her head, so it's ncie for her to see it form another angle. And DS5 just loves visuals, so the "manipulative" aspect works best for him.

EPGY -- We don't have Redbird, we have the old stuff, and it has pros and cons. I'm not sure it's worth detailing them if you can't sign up for it anymore, but DD got stuck on some multi-digit multiplication in the middle of 5th grade math that had a way different setup than she was used to and has refused to go back for a month. It would help if a set of problems was always linked to the original instruction, as it was a hole she needed to fill, but since it wasn't, she just got stuck.

Khan Academy -- Was too complex for DS when he first tried it, now it would probably be fine. DD9 likes it, but I feel like it skips around and there are some topics it covers very lightly. I LOVE the videos so we do tend to load them up as an aside to whatever other math DD's doing right now.

IXL -- DD had an acocunt for 3 years at our old school and it regularly left her in tears because of how it would visibly subtract so many points if you got one problem wrong near the end. You'd be at 98 out of 100 points and then BAM! One wrong and you're knocked back to 90. She found it very stressful. Also, it doesn't teach anything new; it's only for practicing what you already know.

U
    OP Offline
    U
    I wonder if Beast Academy + Khan academy could function as a nice complete curriculum.

BA just isn't complete as an in-school solution without an online component IMHO.

N
    NGR Offline
    N
    I will be following this topic because I still haven't found a good middle school option. AoPS is too expensive. It's clearly an excellent choice though.

I posted my criticism of Redbird on another thread. I said it was too low level and repetitive. The program has made improvements since then, enabling parents to skip ahead of the easy parts and the repetition. My son likes the videos. I like the long problems sets. Redbird doesn't allow parents to view the program componants, so it's frustrating when you are trying to use it as a supplement to fill in gaps. The vocabulary is not inline with the math, which I find annoying. It's a good CCSS test prep program. my daughter is using it to review math concepts since she's not using CCSS curriculum at school.

We have a subscription to IXL through school, but never use it. It's supposed to fill in that computation practice part that is missing from the new math programs. It doesn't have enough problems to master a concept though. I like the transparent table of contents. You can skip around IXL and move back and forth between grades.

My math genius friend uses Aleks with her elementary school children and likes it.

Reflex math is game-based, and I know it has helped struggling learners.

Time4learning is another program that has more games.

Khan Academy is good for mature children (not as playgroundy as the other commenter noted). I prefer Virtual Nerd.

S
    S
    Originally Posted by Ultralight Hiker
    BA just isn't complete as an in-school solution without an online component IMHO.

I'm curious why you think it isn't complete. Everything I have heard suggests that the Beast Academy textbook plus workbook are as deep as you can get in elementary math. Not being argumentative, just genuinely curious if you have heard something different.

A
    A
    I've previously posted my thoughts about redbird, but my opinion has changed a little. I find that it is getting better now that they are covering material that my son didn't know. I still think there is too much repetition, but we will stick with it for now because my son really prefers computerized instruction to paper and pencil/workbooks. Definitely check out the course outline so that you can decide where to start your child. Their start of 4th grade is behind what is taught in our district. I also wish there was an option to skip by module or lesson rather than 1/2 year increments.

We have found that some of the games aren't great or are confusing. Luckily you are not required to complete the games, you can close them and move to the next lesson.

Last edited by Appleton; 06/22/15 12:00 PM.
    P
    P
    AOPS alcamus is free and on line. The prealgebra video lessons are good and also free.

L
    L
    Looking thru the assessments for Beast Academy, I am far from fresh with my math skills, but if I find errors in answers is this indicative of what to expect? Or is the QA better in the program? See pg 3, numbers 8 & 9, long division. Says divide by 6, shows 7, then opposite in next answer.
    https://www.beastacademy.com/store/products/3D/assessments/Pre.pdf

R
    R
    DS used EPGY for grades 3 through Algebra and then we switched to AoPS. If we were to do it over he would use Beast Academy and AoPS exclusively. He used IXL before EPGY and it was good, but AoPS still the best.

He works independently on AoPS during math class at his public school.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM