Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 288 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
    B
    B
    Originally Posted by mithawk
    In our school system, everyone is in the same track through 6th grade. Starting with 7th grade, the kids get tracked as follows:

* ~1% of kids: Placed into Honors Algebra in 7th grade
    * ~1/3rd of kids: Placed into AE pre-algebra in 7th grade. Must maintain an A to get into Honors Algebra in 8th grade, else depending on grades put into AE or Standard in 8th grade.
    * Remaining kids: Placed into standard pre-algebra. Must achieve at least a B to move up to AE in 8th grade.

We go to a public school system, but the average student is at the 90th percentile. For many kids getting into AE in 7th grade and honors in high school ends up being quite difficult, and there is a lot of movement down the tracks because kids couldn't keep up their grades.
    This is what our school district USED to do before the new Common Core changes. Only we had

~10% in H. Algebra in 7th.
    ~60% in Pre-Algebra.. to take Algebra in 8th.
    ~30% in "7th grade math" to take Algebra in 9th.

P
    P
    For contrast NZ years 1 to 12 (K to 11) maths, Year 13 (12th grade) calculus and/or statistics. A few kids get to do a year ahead but that us about it.

U
    OP Offline
    U
    I only have information about the two advanced tracks, but I assume that the typical track in my district is still algebra in 9th, since "high advanced" is algebra in 7th and "advanced" is algebra in 8th...but I'm not positive, since both those classes are also designated "honors/advanced." There might be "regular" algebra in 8th, too? Something that goes slower but covers similar material.

I know there was a big national "algebra in 8th grade for all" push a while back--I'm ashamed to say that I forget how this has generally gone.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    I only have information about the two advanced tracks, but I assume that the typical track in my district is still algebra in 9th, since "high advanced" is algebra in 7th and "advanced" is algebra in 8th...but I'm not positive, since both those classes are also designated "honors/advanced." There might be "regular" algebra in 8th, too? Something that goes slower but covers similar material.

I know there was a big national "algebra in 8th grade for all" push a while back--I'm ashamed to say that I forget how this has generally gone.
    Found this:

http://www.brookings.edu/research/reports/2013/03/18-eighth-grade-math-loveless

Take-away--not well, except for students who took algebra I in 7th grade or earlier.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    P
    P
    Our typical track used to be algebra in 9th grade, but the district is pushing more students to take algebra in 8th. I don't know how it goes.

We used to have maybe 1-2% of students taking algebra in 7th grade, but in recent years it's more like 10-15%. I think they do fine--not everyone handles it well but most are OK.

Very few kids do algebra in 6th grade, and these are by special requests and for kids who are truly math whiz. The cases that we are aware of all worked out super well.

U
    OP Offline
    U
    Assume that college-going students should get some calculus under their belts in the senior year.

I wonder why this is an assumption we should make? Curious if anyone can justify it. Why is calculus in high school necessary? (Says the woman who did not take calculus in high school--btw, I was admitted to a number of highly prestigious schools without it, but that was then and this is now.)

C
    C
    I didn't take it in high school nor in college and will go to my grave not knowing what it even is.

And I was great in math just wasn't on the right track. And then didn't need t for my major.

Last edited by Cookie; 06/04/15 07:44 AM.
    D
    D
    Assume that college-going students should get some calculus under their belts in the senior year.

I wonder why this is an assumption we should make? Curious if anyone can justify it. Why is calculus in high school necessary?

If you want to finish a science degree in college in four years, it's necessary. I didn't have calc in HS (poor advising) and arrived at college too far behind to catch up.

U
    OP Offline
    U
    If you want to finish a science degree in college in four years, it's necessary.

That was the reason I thought of, but should we really act like all high school students must be prepared to major in science?

I think my DH retook calc in college, despite having taken in HS (he took it in 11th grade because he had been individually accelerated). He majored in science. Of course, this was decades ago. And I may be incorrect--maybe it was multivariate calc or something.

D
    D
    If you want to finish a science degree in college in four years, it's necessary.

That was the reason I thought of, but should we really act like all high school students must be prepared to major in science?

Of course not.

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM