Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 460 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    S
    S
    Originally Posted by cricket3
    And as noted above, many if not most music kids play at least some piano. I do think the piano has a really different focus, though; while a few kids do play in jazz or other ensembles, it is generally a much more solitary instrument. So I think it really depends on your/your child's goals for learning an instrument.

Yes, piano is a solitary instrument, so something else to consider. My kids have played the piano since they were 6 and really enjoy it. However, for them it is not a substitute for playing with other children in a band or orchestra. So you may find yourself paying for two instruments (piano and a second instrument). However, it is a great instrument to start with as others have said.

Last edited by stemfun; 05/12/15 06:23 AM.
    J
    J
    My kids did 3-4 years of piano and then switched to a string instrument later for the school strings program. I've been told by music teachers that it is best to get basic musical training and musical theory on the piano, then to move on to another instrument

Last edited by jack'smom; 05/12/15 08:04 AM.
    My DD10 took up guitar at 6, flute at 9, and goofed around with keyboards and drums in between. She has already announced a plan to add violin once she masters flute, which she believes will be just another year or so (LOL).

I would highly advise you to seek your DS' input. There's too much practice involved in learning an instrument, and you want it to be a pleasure for him, not a chore. In our case, DD spoke up for the ones she took up for lessons.

She'd be a rocking guitarist by now if we hadn't screwed up and bought her a cheap model that played bad (not that we had any inkling of how to evaluate one at that point), with the idea that she'd have to earn a more expensive one by showing some dedication. It turned out to have the opposite effect... she came in with a keen interest, which was partially extinguished by the bad instrument. Don't make that mistake.

P
    P
    Originally Posted by stemfun
    Originally Posted by cricket3
    And as noted above, many if not most music kids play at least some piano. I do think the piano has a really different focus, though; while a few kids do play in jazz or other ensembles, it is generally a much more solitary instrument. So I think it really depends on your/your child's goals for learning an instrument.

Yes, piano is a solitary instrument, so something else to consider.

I have a different take on the piano as a "solitary" instrument. Yes, it's solitary when learning for the most part, because you practice at home typically rather than in a group. However, for kids who really get into piano, there can be group opportunities down the road - accompanying concert or jazz band, playing in a small group, etc. More important though, of all the instruments you can learn (with the possible exception of guitar), a piano can be an extremely "social" instrument once you've learned enough to be able to just sit down and play - when you're hanging out with friends, etc - you can play. Most other people can't! When people want to sing, you can accompany them. I'm not explaining this well lol... but for example, playing clarinet in band is truly a group experience. Most kids don't continue with concert band in college. Some do. Very few adults continue playing with a concert band throughout their lives - and rarely, if ever, when hanging out with friends or just hanging out at home with family, do adults just whip out a clarinet and play. But if there's a piano around and you want to play, you can play. Other people usually enjoy listening or singing along. You don't have to haul your instrument everywhere with you, but keyboards and pianos just tend to "be" places.

Re what to actually choose for a starter instrument, I'd recommend the piano also (but not because it's a social instrument lol)... because it offers the opportunity to build a solid foundation in music understanding, which will benefit a child no matter what instrument they choose to play later on.

And... from what I've seen (having seen quite a few kids start instruments early)... many kids who start playing a brass or woodwind early on change their minds about which instrument they really want to play when they get into middle school and band/orchestra starts in school.

polarbear

Just to amplify polarbear's solid point about piano and solitude... when it comes right down to it, a lot of musical practice is solitary, anyway. And when it comes to band rehearsals, children with aptitude find themselves bored because they're not learning fast enough (my DD10 complains about this... she also complains that the brass and drums are too loud/obnoxious, and she can't hear herself play).

There's something to be said for playing by yourself, and learning one-on-one.

There's often a piano role in the orchestra for the school musical, and vocal music teachers love having an accompanist in the group, so they don't have to try to direct and play at the same time. My group's accompanist had 30 kids at her house the night before tryouts, so solitary she was not.

B
    B
    Piano doesn't necessary have to be s solitary instrument. The pit for our H.S. Marching Band has kids who play the keyboard and vibraphone. The students who play these instruments usually started and still play the piano.

Piano is never a bad choice. It's a good instruments for understanding music theory. I took lessons for 8 years as a kid and don't regret it. But I never did manage to get either kid to take lessons although we do have a keyboard they fool around with.

T
    TripleB Offline OP
    OP Offline
    T
    Talked to my son and right now he just wants to learn how to play the recorder because that's what the music teacher is going to teach them how to play in 4th grade.

So I ordered two like the ones they will be using and he and I are going to be learning how to play the recorder over the Summer.

Still holding out hope he will want to try something else as well....piano, violin, guitar tenor saxophone (ok, a little too early for that but since it's what I played......).

I appreciate everyone's help and advice!!!

TripleB

B
    B
    After hearing the cello, now that's what DD wants to play rather than violin! It is a beautiful instrument, too bad it's so large. We went to the orchestra concert at her school and one of the orchestra groups had about 15 violins/violas and one cello. The younger group had probably 20-25 violins/violas and 3 cellos. So I can see why they are holding a lottery.

D
    DrH Offline
    D
    Originally Posted by TripleB
    I would love for my DS8 to start playing an instrument. As a former tenor sax player (grades 6-12) I realize the importance of music to a child.

I talked to our (I'm a 7th grade Math teacher) band director today and he suggested either the piano* (said learning the piano would be the most solid foundation you could have for learning any other instrument as well as singing) or possibly the violin (since the instrument could be customized to the size my the individual musician, and we have an awesome orchestra program locally).

He said it was usually suggested to stay away from instruments that took a lot of breath to play until the child was in the 5th grade or so.

So, what instrument(s) does your DS/DD play and what advice can you give as far as choosing an instrument?

Thanks for any and all input.

TripleB

Daughters both started on trumpet because it was what they wanted to play. One started in 6th grade the other in 3rd grade. It really comes down to what the kid wants to play... If they have no interest in piano or violin then making them start with either of those will cause them to hate it and possibly hate music. At that age having them play something they want to play will make everything much easier. The notion that a 8 year old doesn't have enough air to play is BS... If a kid can blow up a balloon they can play a wind instrument.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM