Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 323 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #216634 05/21/15 04:59 AM
    W
    Wren Offline OP
    OP Offline
    W
    I did a search but couldn't find my specific question.
    DD finished grade 6 math with cty and the choices were honors algebra or problem solving in algebra.
    The comments in other discussions all compared AoPS algebra with pre algebra. Not problem solving to honors algebra.
    I am leaning to problem solving. I did calculus for pre med and when I switched to engineering I had to applied calc, which was pretty much the same except problem application.
    Any input? Our focus is that she takes the SSAT in Oct for a gifted school that starts in grade 7. Of course, we could have accelereated into grade 7 for the fall, but then we couldn't have applied to the gifted school. You have to be in grade 6. I figure she will deal with acceleration once she gets to the gifted school.

W
    Wren Offline OP
    OP Offline
    W
    is the honors algebra 1, then thinkwell algebra 1?

G
    G
    My 4th grader completed CTY 6th grade math in January. We went to algebra 1 for these reasons: by Jan. 2016, he will take the isee/ssat for 6th grade admission. On the lower level test, 6th grade math is all that is needed. Sometime around September, we will go back to take another 6th grade class (regardless of progress in algebra), to review for testing. Then we'll finish whatever remains of algebra before moving to geometry. As to your daughter, if 7-8th grade admission testing is your primary goal, the class you need is full pre-algebra(1-8 grade review, with algebra & geometry concepts)for the middle level exam. Take a look at the practice guides for your level. You'll see that nimbleness with fractions, ratios, proportions, metric conversion, geometry(area/volume of various shapes) are the keys to success. The algebra stuff on the middle level test is simple. Prealgebra will allow you to reinforce these testing areas. good luck.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations