Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 332 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
    Kriston #21681 07/30/08 11:36 AM
    I took it as abstract concept thought along the lines of existentialism, as:

"Existentialism tends to focus on the question of human existence and the conditions of this existence."
    -Wikipedia

Kriston #21683 07/30/08 11:41 AM
    Yes, very philosophical. Though existentialism tends to assume existence: "I exist, so now what?" is how I always thought of it. It sounds like he's going back before that.

He might like Descartes, the philosopher best known for "cogito ergo sum," or "I think, therefore I exist." But his efforts to work out the seat of the soul would probably be very interesting for a young philosopher. Easy to criticize, fun to consider.

Kriston
    Kriston #21687 07/30/08 12:00 PM
    M
    M
    There is a really cool book called "Sophie's World" that is an interesting fictional look at different philosophers. I read it in college, but I think the story makes philosophy very approachable.

Kriston #21688 07/30/08 12:06 PM
    Yes, Kriston good point. I was thinking more along the lines of Camus:

"Camus' ideas on the Absurd
    In his essays Camus presented the reader with dualisms: happiness and sadness, dark and light, life and death, etc. His aim was to emphasize the fact that happiness is fleeting and that the human condition is one of mortality. He did this not to be morbid, but to reflect a greater appreciation for life and happiness. In Le Mythe, this dualism becomes a paradox: We value our lives and existence so greatly, but at the same time we know we will eventually die, and ultimately our endeavours are meaningless. While we can live with a dualism (I can accept periods of unhappiness, because I know I will also experience happiness to come), we cannot live with the paradox (I think my life is of great importance, but I also think it is meaningless). In Le Mythe, Camus was interested in how we experience the Absurd and how we live with it. Our life must have meaning for us to value it. If we accept that life has no meaning and therefore no value, should we kill ourselves?"

HOWEVER,

"What still had meaning for Camus is that despite humans being subjects in an indifferent and "absurd" universe, in which meaning is challenged by the fact that we all die, meaning can be created, however provisionally and unstably, by our own decisions and interpretations."
    -Wikipedia

Camus is considered within the realm of existentialist, although he had stated that he is not. The connection lies within the idea of reality as perception that is fluid and everchanging-Dreamlike, if you will!

So maybe what I saw was some complex existential anxiety coming through the questioning of -is the dream the life or is the life the dream- of course I'm paraphrasing what the young man said, I could be way off.

In any event, it's pretty clear that I need to get a life! grin

And I wouldn't recommend existentialism or nihilism to that age group!

incogneato #21690 07/30/08 12:19 PM
    Nah, you're making my day! I LOVE philosophy. Camus especially! Thanks for that!

It's a shame there's no money in philosophy. I would have loved to just sit around and think all day for pay. I guess writing is the next best thing, right? wink

Kriston
    Kriston #21691 07/30/08 12:26 PM
    Well, we could go for the PhD. and teach college level.
    My favorite class in college was political philosophy.
    smile

Kriston #21695 07/30/08 12:44 PM
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    I gave my salutatorian speech back in high school about JLS, Austin! I used to love that book! The title was "Paradigms," as I recall.

(I remember because one of my dad's friends learned the word from my speech. Then a year or so later, he was quoting my speech back to my dad, not remembering where he had heard it from. I was so proud! After all, who remembers graduation speeches? I felt like a HUGE success! I hadn't thought about that in years...)

I wonder what I'd think of the book now...

Anyway, good book rec for a kid that age! smile

I've been rereading all the books that really struck me as a kid. Many still resonate. JLS is one.

incogneato #21696 07/30/08 12:46 PM
    Nah, been there, done that, got the T-shirt and left. The whole Ivory Tower idea has lost its allure for me!

Kriston
    Kriston #21697 07/30/08 12:47 PM
    Thanks, Austin. I'll have to pick it up again. Maybe DS7 and I can read it together. I wonder what he'd think of it. It's such an uplifting book!

Kriston
    Kriston #21703 07/30/08 01:41 PM
    Another fun discussion. I love it when I check in and discover these great conversations are going on!

In case there are any more budding philosophers out there (parents or kids!) you might be interested in www.AskPhilosophers.org. It's staffed by a bunch of real-life philosophers, and they'll answer pretty much any philosophically relevant question. Some of the responses are really terrific. I'm pretty certain that the dream question would elicit a reference to Descartes' Meditations, and the ensuing 350 years of literature on skepticism about the external world. Probably somebody would mention The Matrix, too. A pity that's probably not appropriate for Barbara's DS8.75, but the 17 and over crowd can certainly enjoy it!

BB

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs