Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 437 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by JonLaw
    Originally Posted by aquinas
    Originally Posted by Bluemagic
    One thing I noted from the article that I see in the students I know. Most of them will accept the "top rated" school they get into irregardless of fit. I remember asking one young woman a few years back why she chose X Ivy League, and she honestly said "it was the best school I got into."

Yes! This! And it continues, too..."best" law/med school, "best" specialty, "best" corporate firm/hospital,... until the body, mind, or both can't take the constant pressure (or the drudgery of doing something outwardly prestigious that they hate) and they snap. The brightest people are starving themselves of food, sleep, exercise, and human contact, then fail at being Perfect while operating 18+ hours/day in The Ideal Role and suddenly have a crisis of identity. Because, if they can't be superhuman, then clearly everything they thought they knew about themselves must be discarded.

And then this happens, and they feel like imposters in their own skin:
    http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.ca/2013/05/depression-part-two.html?m=1

You are supposed to go to the "best law school" that accepts you because that's how law world works.

Law world is massively overproducing lawyers with overpriced tuition.

Law school doesn't really have "fit", unless you are talking about similarly ranked schools.

See current employment stats for details.

Yes, and when two lawyers from the top school and top firm with corner offices meet, any ties are broken by whose book last year was worth more. Dance, puppets!

What is to give light must endure burning.
    Originally Posted by Bluemagic
    One thing I noted from the article that I see in the students I know. Most of them will accept the "top rated" school they get into irregardless of fit. I remember asking one young woman a few years back why she chose X Ivy League, and she honestly said "it was the best school I got into."

Yes! This! And it continues, too..."best" law/med school, "best" specialty, "best" corporate firm/hospital,... until the body, mind, or both can't take the constant pressure (or the drudgery of doing something outwardly prestigious that they hate) and they snap. The brightest people are starving themselves of food, sleep, exercise, and human contact, then fail at being Perfect while operating 18+ hours/day in The Ideal Role and suddenly have a crisis of identity. Because, if they can't be superhuman, then clearly everything they thought they knew about themselves must be discarded.

And then this happens, and they feel like imposters in their own skin:
    http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.ca/2013/05/depression-part-two.html?m=1

You are supposed to go to the "best law school" that accepts you because that's how law world works.

Law world is massively overproducing lawyers with overpriced tuition.

Law school doesn't really have "fit", unless you are talking about similarly ranked schools.

See current employment stats for details.

Yes, and when two lawyers from the top school and top firm with corner offices meet, any ties are broken by whose book last year was worth more. Dance, puppets!

That's so 20th century.

I'm talking about the more relevant modern question:

"Will I be able to find any employment at all that will allow me to pay back my $200,000 debt within my lifetime?"

[quote=aquinas][quote=JonLaw][quote=aquinas][Quote=Bluemagic]

"Will I be able to find any employment at all that will allow me to pay back my $200,000 debt within my lifetime?"

Plan of attack:

(a) Increase 529 contributions asap.
    (b) support the "Hire Skill, Not School" campaign currently under way in SF Bay Area.

The "Skill Not School" campaign is currently focused on programmers. But Google purports to support it, and I'm planning to try and get a Google person to talk to our school district about it in a PTA forum directed at recent teen suicides in the area.

And I really want to keep DS from needing huge loans. I will expect him to work to help pay for college though! (That's just me based on my experience. YMMV.)

Sue

I doubt it's a panacea, but it does take away the college admissions drama.

Relevant article - if you are interested. I'm going to be stalking Laszlo Bock.. Wish me luck! http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/02/2...-get-a-job-at-google.html?_r=1&referrer=

Last edited by suevv; 05/11/15 05:46 PM. Reason: adding link
    C
    C
    I'm still holding out hope that the MOOC revolution is going to materialize.

A
    aeh Online Content
    Online Content
    A
    Originally Posted by suevv
    [quote=aquinas][quote=JonLaw][quote=aquinas][Quote=Bluemagic]

Plan of attack:

(a) Increase 529 contributions asap.
    (b) support the "Hire Skill, Not School" campaign currently under way in SF Bay Area.

The "Skill Not School" campaign is currently focused on programmers. But Google purports to support it, and I'm planning to try and get a Google person to talk to our school district about it in a PTA forum directed at recent teen suicides in the area.

And I really want to keep DS from needing huge loans. I will expect him to work to help pay for college though! (That's just me based on my experience. YMMV.)

Sue

I doubt it's a panacea, but it does take away the college admissions drama.
    So this is a solution less likely to be proposed in high-achieving school districts, but consider this: if you can find someone to do some hands-on training, and acquire appropriate textbooks, a motivated high VS kid can pretty easily acquire sufficient skills in a trade to pass certification tests, allowing him or her to take actual living or near-living wage jobs while in college. (Check out first-year apprentice electrician, plumber, or HVAC hourly wages, for example.) It's a handy skill to have anyway, should one ever become a homeowner. Plus, it's not on your typical elite college app...

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by suevv
    ... it does take away the college admissions drama.
    Yes. Also along these lines, several posts on a recent thread discussed ideas for finding a good "fit", including alternative college experiences.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM