Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 136 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by Bluemagic
    One thing I noted from the article that I see in the students I know. Most of them will accept the "top rated" school they get into irregardless of fit. I remember asking one young woman a few years back why she chose X Ivy League, and she honestly said "it was the best school I got into."

Yes! This! And it continues, too..."best" law/med school, "best" specialty, "best" corporate firm/hospital,... until the body, mind, or both can't take the constant pressure (or the drudgery of doing something outwardly prestigious that they hate) and they snap. The brightest people are starving themselves of food, sleep, exercise, and human contact, then fail at being Perfect while operating 18+ hours/day in The Ideal Role and suddenly have a crisis of identity. Because, if they can't be superhuman, then clearly everything they thought they knew about themselves must be discarded.

And then this happens, and they feel like imposters in their own skin:
    http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.ca/2013/05/depression-part-two.html?m=1

What is to give light must endure burning.
    B
    B
    I wonder how Madison's story might have been different if her parents had encouraged her strongly to withdraw for a semester (or longer) to regroup or to significantly reduce her courseload, not just transfer. I wonder if she would have felt so trapped if someone had told her that she could scale back until she found her comfort zone.
    Not all schools LET you withdraw for a semester. Large top ranked states schools don't always allow one to withdraw without a medical reason. And once withdraw don't make it easy to get back in. And the paperwork & documentation to get a medical isn't necessary easy. They just have too many students that look good on paper to care much about those that don't keep up. Although I would expect that a private school like PENN would probably let a student withdraw for a semester.

Last edited by bluemagic; 05/10/15 01:46 PM.
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by Aquinas
    A must-read. Thanks for sharing.

For some, the described numbing happens while gifted kids are left unaffirmed and underserved in elementary, middle, and high schools, prescribed to feel guilty or advantaged for the differences which cause their brains to be high-IQ. Some may say that parents who've advocated in futility and watched their children become numb may also succumb to the fog of meaninglessness. Not that the numbing or sense of meaninglessness necessarily remains for long, becomes all-encompassing, or leads to wishing one's self away. A change in learning environment may help. Encouraging kiddos to be self-determining, striking out on one's own path... a personally meaningful path... may, for some, bring a return to satisfaction, fulfillment, meaning, and joy.

F
    F
    When deciding between colleges -- it's so easy to get caught up in "where can I go for the least amount of money", especially when that amount is "basically free", but I think more kids and parents need to realize and agree that a smaller scholarship that's less stressful, or a cheaper college that's less prestigious but roughly as good educationally, or taking out student loans for a college that's a good fit...in the long run, is better than a full scholarship to an elite college requiring absolute PERFECTION with a side of stress, compromised mental health, and sleep deprivation.
    I'm not saying you shouldn't look for scholarships, or that you should drown yourself in student loan debt. But you should make the choice that's right for you and compromise what you can afford with what's going to help you be a successful, healthy, happy person. In the end, a lesser-known college will still give you an education and student loan debts can be paid off, but unfortunately, cases like Madison's won't go away by themselves.
    I know it's easier said than done. But we can't just accept that kids are going to be depressed, anxious, and suicidal. And if it means passing up that scholarship, so be it. And hopefully colleges will realize putting students in these situations -- where they have to choose between their health and a college scholarship, or a prestigious university -- isn't acceptable, even if it's unintentional.

B
    B
    Originally Posted by FruityDragons
    When deciding between colleges -- it's so easy to get caught up in "where can I go for the least amount of money", especially when that amount is "basically free", but I think more kids and parents need to realize and agree that a smaller scholarship that's less stressful, or a cheaper college that's less prestigious but roughly as good educationally, or taking out student loans for a college that's a good fit...in the long run, is better than a full scholarship to an elite college requiring absolute PERFECTION with a side of stress, compromised mental health, and sleep deprivation.
    Many of the elite colleges, including the Ivies, MIT, and Stanford, do not have merit scholarships. Once accepted, your expected financial contribution depends on family income.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    Many of the elite colleges, including the Ivies, MIT, and Stanford, do not have merit scholarships.
    Harvard & MIT also do not offer athletic scholarships, whereas Stanford offers athletic scholarships; I mention this detail because the OP's article told of the suicide of a student attending UPenn on an athletic scholarship. The guiding principle is the same: when choosing the best college experience, choose the most comfortable "fit", not the greatest prestige.

M
    M
    Originally Posted by indigo
    I mention this detail because the OP's article told of the suicide of a student attending UPenn on an athletic scholarship.

All Penn aid is need-based. Penn, like all other Ivy League institutions, does not award merit-based or athletic scholarships. Instead, all aid is devoted to helping families who need financial assistance to afford Penn.

http://www.admissions.upenn.edu/costs-financial-aid/financial-aid-at-penn

I
    I
    Originally Posted by Mana
    I mention this detail because the OP's article told of the suicide of a student attending UPenn on an athletic scholarship.

All Penn aid is need-based. Penn, like all other Ivy League institutions, does not award merit-based or athletic scholarships. Instead, all aid is devoted to helping families who need financial assistance to afford Penn.

http://www.admissions.upenn.edu/costs-financial-aid/financial-aid-at-penn
    Yes, you are correct. A quick re-read confirms that talk of scholarships was introduced not by the OP's article but rather by other posts in the thread.

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by Tigerle
    Coming from a continental European perspective where unis will let you succeed or fail on your own without the least bit of pressure but with hearty indifference
    It is my understanding that students in the United States also succeed or fail uni on their own, so I am unclear as to what you are referring to. Would you clarify, please?

I'll bite. Most of my tertiary education (undergraduate through Ph.D.) was in two European countries.

A major difference is that European universities don't use GPAs. Two things matters most over there: your score on your final exams in fourth year, and, when applicable, the quality of your final-year project. The exams measure the knowledge you've acquired, and the project measures your ability to apply it.

A major consequence of this approach is that students don't stress out over grades for the entirety of their educations.

Many Americans argue that putting everything on one exam is too stressful, but IME/O, the stress is no greater than the stress American students face consistently the entire time they're in college. Looking back on it, it was far less stressful than the constant quizzes and exams here.

The European approach says, "We care about what you've learned by the end of the program." The American approach says, "Every mistake counts."

The European system is also more forgiving of failure. If you bomb say, your second-year exams, you repeat the year. The scores don't haunt you forever because again, all that truly counts is the exams at the end of fourth year. The fees are much lower there than they are here, so the financial consequences aren't so devastating. In addition, if you have a scholarship (generally because of low family income), you lose the scholarship during the repeated year and get it back again the next year, assuming you pass your exams (at least, that's how it worked where I was).

Some Americans may argue that this system encourages laziness and a poor work ethic, but it's well known that US college dropout rates are increasing and are ahead of most other OECD nations. For example, roughly 90% of UK students who enter university graduate. If the no-GPA system makes UK students lazy, why do so many get a degree?

Originally Posted by aquinas
    Originally Posted by Bluemagic
    One thing I noted from the article that I see in the students I know. Most of them will accept the "top rated" school they get into irregardless of fit. I remember asking one young woman a few years back why she chose X Ivy League, and she honestly said "it was the best school I got into."

Yes! This! And it continues, too..."best" law/med school, "best" specialty, "best" corporate firm/hospital,... until the body, mind, or both can't take the constant pressure (or the drudgery of doing something outwardly prestigious that they hate) and they snap. The brightest people are starving themselves of food, sleep, exercise, and human contact, then fail at being Perfect while operating 18+ hours/day in The Ideal Role and suddenly have a crisis of identity. Because, if they can't be superhuman, then clearly everything they thought they knew about themselves must be discarded.

And then this happens, and they feel like imposters in their own skin:
    http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.ca/2013/05/depression-part-two.html?m=1

You are supposed to go to the "best law school" that accepts you because that's how law world works.

Law world is massively overproducing lawyers with overpriced tuition.

Law school doesn't really have "fit", unless you are talking about similarly ranked schools.

See current employment stats for details.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM