Thanks so much for all the responses!

Originally Posted by NotherBen
Are you taking it through a talent search? If so, They probably got her name from...tests, right? State tests?

Actually we're just doing this on their own. I'm not sure what criteria the talent search places use, or if it varies by state. This year she got a perfect score on reading; math and science scores aren't back yet. Previous years she's done well but not off the charts (low-mid 90%'s) which we felt indicated good balance... she'd done well enough to clearly justify her acceleration while still leaving some room for challenge.

This year she seems to have really taken off across the board - finishes almost all her homework in school, earns high grades in Honors without extra help/review, and shows signs of boredom in class. I'm really not sure what our options are at this point (accelerating another grade isn't feasible since that would put her in the same grade as her big brother - a no-no according to the IAS manual), but from what I've read so far it sounds like having her take the ACT is the next logical step regardless.