Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 398 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    L
    L
    My son also went through a fascination with really big numbers when he was four. My husband is a mathematician and they had a lot of fun discussing this. Our favorite book on the subject is Really Big Numbers- the first book for kids published by the American Mathematical Society.

http://www.amazon.com/Really-Number...56231&sr=8-1&keywords=really+big+numbers

I can't recommend this book highly enough. My son learned about combinatorics, exponential notation and graph theory all from this book. It touches on so many fascinating concepts and kids - and adults- with many levels of math literacy can all appreciate it.

M
    M
    when I'm feeling snarky I go with infinity

L
    L
    This reminds me of an assessment at a private school that my son attended a few months ago. The teacher asked him to write his numbers up to 10. My son said he thought that was boring and he'd rather write a really big number, like googolplex. When the teacher admitted he didn't know what a googolplex was, my son said, "You are a teacher, aren't you? What kind of school is this, where the teachers don't even know about googoplexes?" He wasn't admitted. Sigh.

I
    I
    Playing with infinite is loads of fun. Especially after addition, subtraction, multiplication and division are understood conceptually.

R
    R
    Originally Posted by Lepa
    My son also went through a fascination with really big numbers when he was four. My husband is a mathematician and they had a lot of fun discussing this. Our favorite book on the subject is Really Big Numbers- the first book for kids published by the American Mathematical Society.

http://www.amazon.com/Really-Number...56231&sr=8-1&keywords=really+big+numbers

I can't recommend this book highly enough. My son learned about combinatorics, exponential notation and graph theory all from this book. It touches on so many fascinating concepts and kids - and adults- with many levels of math literacy can all appreciate it.

Thats great to hear. DS8 loves his "You Can Count on Monsters" Book which is on multiplication, factoring, and primes(which he first read around age 6). The library doesn't have the newer book and I've been too cheap to spend the money for it new. Your review is pushing me over the edge...

L
    L
    @Raptor dad- My son loves "You Can Count on Monsters" but we think the Really Big Numbers is so much better! Let me know what you think if you end up getting it.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM