Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 358 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    B
    B
    As the forum mercenary :), let me mention a consideration that is rarely mentioned in discussions of redshirting and acceleration but which I think is important.

If a child is accelerated by a year, that may lengthen his or her career by 1 year. A ballpark estimate of earnings of gifted adults is $100,000. When in doubt, grab the $100K. If finishing school a year early meant an extra year of arduous manual labor, parents could decide that they want their children to enjoy another year of school before entering the "real world". Gifted children are lucky in that for most of them, their jobs will not be more unpleasant than school. We have accelerated two of our three children by one year, and they are both doing well.

-- and to add to Bostonian's post above (though it should be stated that I am something like anti-mercenary);

consider the additional college costs incurred by red-shirting.

With annual increases in the 5-10% range, and CURRENT college costs upwards of 50K at elite schools, this is not exactly pocket change for parents.

Even if you plan to have your child rely upon aid, that is seldom going to be enough to avoid borrowing (which such institutions now see as a perfectly valid means of "meeting student financial need" by the way).

Please note that I am in no way suggesting that this is a compelling reason to PUSH children to accelerate if that is not (already) the right thing to do for them developmentally.

But it's darned sure a good reason to consider NOT red-shirting.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    M
    Mhawley Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Saw some of the research re: increased salaries for kiddos who weren't redshirted, but the college costs never occurred to me. What a great argument for sending him to school, especially for my fiscally conservative husband!!

M
    M
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    My son complains that he feels so much older than the kids in his class even though he is a good year younger than a lot of them.

This.

This is going to be true for a long, long, long time with a HG+ child.

Mine is still living this as a 15yo college freshman, fwiw. frown

The problem for my DD is that she isn't all that subtle about how she feels about other children her age. She refers to them as "the younger children" in a rather condescending tone. When I remind her that some of them are older than she is by a few months, she responds "fine then, the YOUNG children."

She then turns around and literally starts screaming about spilled ice cream.

cry

Haha! Yeah, good point. My 7 year old certainly doesn't look like the one who should be saying he feels older than his class mates when he, himself, is rolling around on the floor throwing a fit like a 2 year old...:-) Ahhhhh, the asynchrony....

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM