Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 432 guests, and 38 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    S
    stbmom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    I went to obsere the Montessori school we are considering for my son. I observed the 2 - 3 year old class and was impressed with what I saw. They truly do the Montessori method and the "controlled chaos" of the room was nice to see.
    They do go outside for 45 minutes a day, weather permitting, and I was very happy to see that as well.
    We will have to send lunch with him everyday, but that is actually a good thing since we try to ensure he eats very healthy whenever possible. I will also be able to monitor better how much he eats. I already supply his snack for daycare since I saw them try to give him a cookie for snack one day - he is barely 16 months old - why would he need a chocolate chip cookie?

Opps, sorry, I digress!

The children did, in fact, get a chance to choose their own activities. It was funny because the teacher had a small group of children together going over insects. She asked one 3 year old what type of body a particular "bug" had and his reply was "exoskeleton". Okay, I'm sold! While they did some singing without music and did have paper and pencils etc. available - I didn't see a big emphasis on these things which my son does currently get a daycare and loves. But, I think we can definitely supplement these things at home. He does do a lot of finger painting and coloring here at home, we can just try to incoporate it more often. He also has some music CD's he enjoys and loves when we sing and dance with him. Again, we will just try to do it on a more consistent basis. There are also several Kindermusic programs nearby that we could take advantage of if needed.

Now, we just have to figure out logistics! I am newly pregnant (due in October), so I will end up with 2 kids at 2 different locations - yikes! I will also need to change my work hours a bit and rely on my husband to pick up (fingers crossed). We have some time to figure out the details though, as I will be on maternity leave until Jan.

I really think Montessori will be a good environment for my son, since we have always thought we would do partial homeschooling anyway. This was - he won't have to wait out a year before starting pre-K and won't be confined to age mates. He will also be starting early enough that by the time we needs higher level materials - the teachers will know us and our son and we hopefully won't be the "push parents".

If that fails, well - homeschooling full time it will be.

We will know in March if our son is accepted, but have been told it shouldn't be a big issue at all.

Congradulations STBmom!
    the school sounds like it will meet some needs - and I love mixed age classrooms!

Also congradulations on your October Project! Yippee!
    Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    S
    stbmom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    A little nervous about having two - but we will see. I guess you learn as you go!
    They will be exactly 2 years apart.
    That is why we want to start our son at the Montessori in the summer instead of waiting for the fall. Would really like to get him completely adjusted before his life changes drastically at home!

I've only got one, but I've seen two children two years apart work really really well in gifted families - built in best friend! Also, the drastic changes seem to occur, by my observation, when #2 starts crawling and grabbing #1's stuff. Untill then you can put #2 in a sling, and back-willing, keep going on as before!

Best Wishes,
    Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    D
    D
    Congratulations all around! My two kids are exactly two years apart (sort of). They had they same due date anyway.
    They don�t usually let on in public, but they are extremely close! It�s really sweet.

S
    stbmom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    I am finally getting used to the idea. Plus, we started to feel a little guilty with ds smile
    We had him "a little later in life" so were more established - as a result the house sort of resembles a Toys R Us. We were interviewing cleaning people one time and one company looked in the basement and said "you only have one kid". We said "yes". They then replied "umm, are you going to have any more".

Well, no one can say we are pushing him to sit and read all day - the kid has a slide, swing, child's roller coaster, and train that he rides in the basement along with lots of other things. So much for the argument that we don't let our gifted kids "be kids".

Trinity - I have been eyeing slings lately. I have a couple I didn't use much with ds - but will definitely be using them with this next one.

G
    G
    Congrats, STBmom, on the Montessori school; it sounds ideal. And a big CONGRATULATIONS on your pregnancy as well. How are you feeling?

My youngest (DS8 and DD6) are two years apart and I think it's a great age span. They have the occasional squabble, of course, but they're excellent friends and have so much fun together. It has been clear from the start that DD6 much prefers DS8 over anyone else in the family, including me. :-)

Going from one to two children can feel like a big adjustment, and overwhelming at times. But don't worry too much about the logistics... you really will figure it all out as you go.

Happy for you...

GG

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM