Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 286 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    #213708 04/03/15 04:33 PM
    Val Offline OP
    OP Offline
    There's a new piece about IQ, income, and SAT scores in the WSJ. The DI Friday post had linked to a story about it with a somewhat misleading quote about IQ and pure luck. I decided to investigate.

Originally Posted by WSJ piece by Charles Murray
    Why should almost all of the income effect be concentrated in the first hundred thousand dollars or so? The money itself may help, but another plausible explanation is that the parents making, say, $60,000 are likely to be regularly employed, with all the things that regular employment says about a family. The parents are likely to be conveying advantages other than IQ such as self-discipline, determination and resilience—“grit,” as this cluster of hard-to-measure qualities is starting to be called in the technical literature.

Families with an income of, say, $15,000 are much more likely to be irregularly employed or subsisting on welfare, with negative implications for that same bundle of attributes. Somewhere near $100,000 the marginal increments in grit associated with greater income taper off, and further increases in income make little difference.

R
    R
    Maybe the Davidson folks could write a script to automatically lock any threads started by articles by right wing cranks, racists, and academic frauds like Charles Murray...

Val Offline OP
    OP Offline
    So-so attempt at using a tactic for shutting down a discussion of discomfiting ideas: make an emotional claim that's irrelevant to the point at hand and shout down anyone who tries to talk about how icky things like facts.

I had noted that the Davidson Institute sent the link to the story in a Friday post. I think we can assume that they decided that the story was relevant to gifted education.

Please stick to facts and not insults.

K
    Kai Offline
    K
    Personally, I think that Charles Murray makes some good points, and I'm about as liberal as they come.

B
    B
    I earlier started a thread on the Murray essay: SAT not an affluence test. That thread was locked but then reopened. I think it's better not to have multiple threads about the same article.

M
    M
    Originally Posted by raptor_dad
    Maybe the Davidson folks could write a script to automatically lock any threads started by articles by right wing cranks, racists, and academic frauds like Charles Murray...
    I like Charles Murray quite a bit. In some cases he has exposed some truths through data analysis that people find uncomfortable. He explains his data analysis methods, and you can decide for yourself whether he performed the analysis correctly. In other cases, he asserts some opinions (e.g. the importance of religion in society) that I may not agree with, but it is easy to tell what is opinion and what is the result of his research.

But since you mentioned academic frauds, you were probably thinking of Murray's adversary, Stephen Jay Gould, the late Harvard professor who wrote the Mismeasure of Man in response to The Bell Curve. His fraudulent approach to analyzing the data has been roundly criticized in the NY Times, Nature, Scientific American, etc.

Charles Murray classified his highest IQ group as 125+, so for the twelfth time, he has nothing to say about the highly gifted.

M
    M
    Originally Posted by Dude
    Charles Murray classified his highest IQ group as 125+, so for the twelfth time, he has nothing to say about the highly gifted.

Dude,

Did you actually read the Charles Murray article? He confronts the often commonly held assertion that the SAT only measures affluence, and the ability of wealthy parents to send children to expensive private schools and test prep courses. He explains why IQ has a larger determinant on the SAT than parental income.

The current SAT has a low ceiling, and therefore is not very good at discriminating among high school students with IQs > ~130. But the SAT, along with the ACT are important tests with relevance to the gifted community. Both tests are excellent measures of IQ for younger test takers. And they are an important component of college admissions.

If anything, Charles Murray's article should give hope to non-wealthy parents of gifted children (particularly those that haven't discovered the Davidson Institute yet). The deck is not as stacked against them as much as it may initially seem.

Murray's article would have been better if it was published in the NY Times, which has a less affluent audience than the WSJ. I think the NY Times also has more influence nationally than the WSJ (despite the WSJ having higher readership). But I am not sure the NY Times would have published it.

B
    B
    According to research cited in the thread Genetics and intelligence differences
    high intelligence is familial, heritable, and caused by the same genetic and environmental factors responsible for the normal distribution of intelligence.
    so what is true of the demographics of the 125+ IQ population is true of the 145+ IQ population, only more so.

Originally Posted by Bostonian
    According to research cited in the thread Genetics and intelligence differences
    high intelligence is familial, heritable, and caused by the same genetic and environmental factors responsible for the normal distribution of intelligence.
    so what is true of the demographics of the 125+ IQ population is true of the 145+ IQ population, only more so.

The issue here isn't whether the apple falls far from the tree.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM