Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 429 guests, and 36 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    #2120 02/20/07 10:59 AM
    W
    OP Offline
    W
    We finally got a chance to sit down with a guidance counselor at Rite's high school and go over Rite's goals and options.

Rite wants to go to Standford and eventually go into medicine. He's been pretty consistant on that goal for the last 2-3 years. He also wants to play soccer in college.

Sooooo...with those goals in mind, the counselor mapped out 2 plans of action. Consistant to both plans is his sophmore year. He is finishing up geometry and will be starting Algebra II at BYU Elearning in the next couple of weeks. The hope is to be done with Algebra II by August. His math teachers and the guidance couselor feel that will be no problem for him.

Given that works as planned, his sophmore year is Pre-AP English, AP US History (a toughie), Spanish II, Chemistry, Pre-Calculus and Choir--if he doesn't finish Algebra II by then, he can still work on it then take pre-calc at BYU next.

Then the options for junior and sophmore years really open up.

He can continue on the AP schedule. Try to complete all 8 courses (maybe more will be offered by then, too) and go for being valedictorian and scholarships if things work out with ACT/SAT scores being high enough.

or

He can do Post Secondary Options completely and skip 11th and 12th grade and go right to college freshman level courses taken at the University of MN. The courses are graded at face value and are not weighted (which is so strange, imo) so he would be out of the running for valedictorian. However, he'd almost certainly be accepted to continue studies at the UofMN starting in his junior year. Basically it amounts to 2 years of college at state expense. Depending on ACT/SAT scores and PSEO performance he'd be in line for a full scholarship to finish up. The big downfall is he wouldn't be able to play soccer, most likely, at the high school just because of scheduling issues. It is possible, but somewhat difficult. The other downfall is he is stuck at UofMN, which is a great school, but not in the top 4 where Rite wants to be. Other schools would accept him only as a transfer student and not as a freshman and that limits his scholarship chances and college choices.

However, he wants pre-med and the guidance counselor said this actually sets him up perfectly for going on to medical school at any of those top 4 schools, if he continues to progress well, at the age of 22 or sooner depending on how many courses he takes in his junior year. She said he could actually finish college in 3 years if he made the right choices and did well.

We, THANK GOODNESS!!!, have a year to decide his route, since he doesn't have the options until junior year.

My feeling is WOW $30,000 (minimum) in tuition, fees, room, board and other expenses will remain in Fite and Bite pockets!! Plus, having the option to go to college 2 years early is an honor in and of itself. Only the top 10% of the students can take these options, she told me today. Plus, we could save even more on room and board because he can stay home until he finishes using this option. So that's roughly another $20,000 saved.

Which way would you encourage your kid to go?

Willa Gayle
    S
    S
    I am a big fan of going to undergrad school early - at the states expense.
    As far as college, he could start developing a relationship now with the faculty at his top pick schools. They may know of some scholarships or have money in the department he could get as a transfer student. Some people actually discourage getting your graduate and undergraduate degrees at the same school. So, doing undergrad at MN, then doing his med. degree at the school of his choosing could be a great option.
    As for soccer - is there a preprofessional club he can join? What about playing at the college?

Willa Gayle -
    ((happy little dance))
    That is wonderful news! I'm so glad to hear it!
    Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    W
    OP Offline
    W
    I said it wrong...he'd graduate by 20 if he plows right through or possibly 19 if he really pushes it.

Willa Gayle
    C
    C
    Hi Willa,

It is great that two good options are available to you. Although different, either way would work.

Option 1 is to try to get in Stanford as an undergrad. It is achievable if he continues to do well but no guarantee given the fact that Stanford is very competitive. Another thing to consider is the cost. Four year at Stanford will probably cost over $200,000. Some assistance may be available depending on income/asset, etc.

Option 2 seems to me a sure thing if your son chooses to do PSEO. The saving is huge. Although going to UofMN is not same experience as going to Stanford, it makes you wonder whether that amount of money is really worth it. Besides, your son already decided to go to a graduate school. That makes Options 2 even more appealing because people usually only look at your last degree.

W
    OP Offline
    W
    thanks chenchuan. That's where I'm heading in my thinking.

Willa Gayle
    D
    D
    Willa Gayle,

I second and third what stbmom and chenchuan have stated. Free undergraduate degree in hand versus possibility of Stanford � I would opt for the free tuition and concentrate on getting into med school next. I know that the U of M medical school is quite good also (just in case)!

Would he be commuting to your home from Minneapolis every day or will he live on campus (I know it is huge)?

You have some really excellent options to consider.

Diana

W
    OP Offline
    W
    He will commute. It's about a 25 minute drive off traffic and about double that on traffic.

I like our options. I'm excited to see how he's processing the information. He's excited and has called me 3 times today! chuckle.

It's fun to have GOOD things to process.

Willa Gayle
    J
    J
    I'm adding yet another vote for the free undergrad degree. The last degree is what really matters, so for a student who knows he really wants to go to grad school, you just need to make sure that the undergrad degree is solid for graduate applications. The UofMn is a good school, so when he's done he can apply to any grad school he likes.

Jill

G
    G
    Fite, another vote here for option 2.

Let me tell you a quick story about my 17 y/o niece. She graduated at 16 and is now in her first year of college, pre-med. I'll never forget hearing her first impressions of college last Fall. With great excitement and passion, she announced that she'd learned more in the first three weeks of college than in her entire junior and senior years of high school combined.

Initially she was aiming for Harvard or similar but instead has been *thrilled* with her final (non-Ivy League, less expensive) choice. Her classes are challenging, she volunteers weekly at a hospital, and she's already made great connections in the local medical community. She even had the unusual opportunity to shadow a thoracic surgeon and attend a lung-removal surgery, where she was allowed to scrub in, view the surgery up close and even assist in some surgical procedures that usually are not taught to students until their 3rd year of med school.

She is thrilled to finally be in college, to finally be able to choose the courses she wants, to be challenged and work to her potential. (All thanks to a grade skip in elementary--otherwise, she'd still be in high school right now!) She loves being in college at a younger age than most kids. She says she feels lucky to be getting this "jump start" on her medical career. And no, she doesn't fit in socially with her classmates. She says, "they're thinking beer, and I'm thinking career." She's a straight arrow and all her friends are the older, more serious students.

From what you've said about Rite, I'll bet he would feel the same way about early entry to college. That's an incredible opportunity.

Hugs,
    GG

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM