Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 145 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    R
    rac Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    My DS5 is probably most gifted along the visual spatial dimension (he reached the ceiling in a few areas on the WPPSI IV last year, but that's what we think after having observed him for years). He did 100 piece puzzles at 2 years old, can now do pretty much any size lego (well, he'll be getting a 2000 piece one soon, so we'll see), loves building complicated structures with wooden sticks (Keva), and is drawing in 3 dimensions better than most 8 or 9 year olds (it's not clear OH or I could do better - and he is certainly much quicker at it than us!). Am now thinking ahead what kind of group/afterschool activities could be a good fit for him next year? Thanks!

P
    P
    My son is younger than yours, but is also gifted in the visual spatial dimension (very into building, puzzles, art, etc.). We've recently started playing chess with him, which he LOVES. Have you tried that with your son?

B
    B
    I second chess club as a suggestion. Chess didn't go over well for my DS though because all the local clubs teach competitive chess that uses timers. And my son hated the timer.

My area has Lego Robotics clubs run by private organization that have after school activities for kids as young as 5. Look around and see if that is available. What you want is a program that mixes age groups together as he would probably quickly get bored at the level of other kids his age.

Honestly, I would just keep supplying with Lego's and other building materials. And use find activities that stretch & compliments him in other areas that he isn't so naturally inclined. Music, Art, Sports are all good things to explore.

M
    M
    Originally Posted by bluemagic
    find activities that stretch & compliments him in other areas that he isn't so naturally inclined. Music, Art, Sports are all good things to explore.

+1

I am finding that extracurricular activities can be excellent opportunities to work on DD's executive functioning and other soft skills so we can hopefully reduce her asynchronicity.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent