Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 335 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    C
    catova Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Appleton - yes, sorry, I believe the administrator meant 69 percentile because I asked 'do you mean percentile'. AEH, thank you for the additional information. I was aware that the NNAT2 was a preferred nonverbal assessment to level the playing field but the research you linked is helpful. We are in CA though we have among the least diverse districts in the state (less than 4% ELL, less than 10% minority in total). I assume our district also uses NNAT2 because it is a short test, but that's a guess...the district gives no information on its methodology in GATE testing process, because, well, why would parents need know anyway:)? Interestingly our old district gave the NNAT2 to all 1st graders, and here, it's 3rd grade...

P
    P
    Originally Posted by catova
    Appleton - yes, sorry, I believe the administrator meant 69 percentile because I asked 'do you mean percentile'.

catova, do you have a copy of the test results or were you just given the info verbally? If you don't have a full copy of the test report, I'd request it.

polarbear

C
    catova Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    No test results were provided; just an email with score saying DS will not qualify for GATE services. Coincidentally, I just requested a copy of results. We'll see what the response is.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by madeinuk
    Sorry, especially slow today, what does CLD stand for?
    Oops, is my jargon showing?
    ...CLD means culturally/linguistically different (or diverse).

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    A
    A
    Thanks for the info aeh, interesting study. Of course now there is a form 7 of the cogat so who knows how it would compare. It does make sense that it would correlate more highly with the wisc since it measures more domains than the NNAT.

I did notice that the study I mentioned was written by the author of the cogat, which is important to mention. In his newsletter cognitively speaking, there are some bar graphs of stanine scores by different groupings, which I thought were particularly interesting. I always assumed that testing would follow a nice bell shaped curve and obviously that's not always the case. Granted these were not representative studies, so who knows if the original norming of the instruments were a bit off, or if the results just reflected the characteristics of the population being studied.

Catova, when my son took the test, the school gave us an NNAT2 "home report". It lists the "Naglieri ability index" and the percentile rank. There is also a nice bell curve with descriptors "average", "high average", "superior", "very superior" etc., and numbers below with a dot on the curve to indicate the score. There is no raw score or number attempted listed. His school had them take the test on the computer, so it's probably easier for them to print out that info for the parents.

LAF Offline
    I don't know if this is helpful or not, but my DS10 took the NNAT and scored 83. He was privately tested with the WISC two weeks before and scored as HG but likely twice exceptional. At the time I didn't know his second e, only that he had terrible anxiety and slow processing speed according to the private tester, however the private tester felt his scores were high enough that he would be fine on the school test. Because of all this, when I got his score of 83 percentile I called the GATE office and told them I didn't believe those results based on the fact that I'd had him privately tested and he was gifted- they went back and rescored his results and they went up to 91st percentile. Still not qualifying but higher. Perhaps because it was a group test, that although he said he enjoyed the test he was distracted, maybe bubbled something wrong (which maybe is what they caught when they rescored) In addition, aeh weighed in and said based on his scores on the matrices on the WISC his score wasn't too far below what could be expected (he scored higher on the verbal parts of the test). So he needed to be tested with a different instrument, and with an individual test. He also needed help with his second e(s). However, and this is important- I do not see giftedness in him most of the time, at least nothing like what I read about on these boards. He is extremely creative, and does very well at school, but not above grade which is what you would expect to see for someone with his GAI. In your child you are seeing the giftedness, so I would trust that over the test. Aeh is right about the test, it is not the be all and end all - it is a snapshot, and to continue the analogy, using a particular type of camera. Sometimes the photographer isn't very good. Sometimes you aren't feeling particularly photogenic. Sometimes the camera crops you poorly. It doesn't mean you aren't beautiful smile

LAF Offline
    Also, call the GATE office (not your school) and request the raw scores in writing (I faxed my request and got the results less than a week later). Even if it doesn't tell you that much, I keep all testing for my kids because you don't know whether or not it may be helpful later. Also if you can, voice your concern to the relevant person at the GATE office and ask them if they would be willing to look at the scores one more time based on his previous scores and if your teacher will back you on that even better. And be very very nice to everyone you speak to in the GATE office, it helps. When I posted about this before on these boards, I was told that someone had actually received another child's test results. Mistakes happen, if you think something is off, be very nice but confused about how there can be such a great discrepancy and call the GATE office and ask them what they think. Again, if you speak to the teacher and she is also surprised by the score, tell the GATE office that as well.

*Edited to add that I just read that you requested his scores- I did that initially but only got his percentile- make sure to request RAW scores. They will not send them if you do not request them specifically.

Last edited by LAF; 04/04/15 09:36 AM.
    P
    P
    And once you have sorted this test your untested child. It is not always obvious and while it is possible s/he will score average they also may score HG or be 2e with the second e concealing the first through compensation.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM