Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 460 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    V
    VR00 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    V
    My kid took the ACT explore test and we just received the scores. It just shows percentiles vs 8th grade kids. Do you know how I can find the percentile vs 3rd grade?

Thanks

I could be wrong but I think you need to wait until May for that one when they have finished collating the 2014/2015 test taker's results. The %'tiles change (slightly +/-) every year...

Last edited by madeinuk; 03/09/15 05:37 AM.

Become what you are
    N
    N
    Did your kid take the explore test through Numats? IF so then in numats tool box there is 2015 test statistical summary. Download that and you will be able to calculate your child's percentile.

HTH

M
    M
    Its been 3 years since my ds took Explore in 3rd grade. I think percentiles as a whole was all we got. It also gave the score for Davidson benchmarks and 8th graders who were college bound. It looks different now so they might give you more info.

H
    H
    While you are waiting for this years numbers (if you did it through a talent search) you might just want to look at the cutoff for Davidson for 3rd graders. It will give you and idea of what a superior score is.

http://www.davidsongifted.org/young...holars___Qualification_Criteria_384.aspx

One of the talent seach sites will sell you an individual report based on the scores you submit, but I cannot remember which one it was.

L
    L
    Originally Posted by howdy
    While you are waiting for this years numbers (if you did it through a talent search) you might just want to look at the cutoff for Davidson for 3rd graders. It will give you and idea of what a superior score is.

http://www.davidsongifted.org/young...holars___Qualification_Criteria_384.aspx

One of the talent seach sites will sell you an individual report based on the scores you submit, but I cannot remember which one it was.

I agree with howdy...while you are waiting, take a look at the "old" Talent Search data for 3rd graders to give yourself a better idea. Also, I believe that it is Belin-Blank that will provide you a report from its data. Best wishes!

Q
    Q
    It's been a couple of years for us. However, it depends on the particular talent search. We used Carnegie Mellon in 3rd grade and they provided a small booklet with the results. When we used Belin-Blank (Iowa) in 4th grade, they provided a nice "personalized" ebook comparing each score to GT 3rd through GT 6th graders as well as regular Fall 8th graders. However, in both cases, these additional information came a couple of weeks after the official results from the ACT company. You might have to wait longer now because back then, the Explore was given in January and February whereas now they offer the Explore in May or June. That may skew the data as well since an additional half a year of schooling should make some difference.

V
    VR00 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    V
    This was through center for bright kids. I checked there website and do not see any norming information from last year. Does anyone have these?

S
    S
    I don't think CBK offers any kind of data summary, which I why we switched to NUMATS.

Here's an old statistical summary I found from Duke. But it doesn't go down to 3rd grade.

http://tip.duke.edu/downloads/ts/46/EXPLORE-results-summary.pdf

V
    VR00 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    V
    I thought the talent searches are regional based. How did you switch to NUMATS? Did you move?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM