Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 358 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 8 of 14 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 13 14
    M
    M
    Originally Posted by notnafnaf
    Originally Posted by MonetFan
    Otherwise, private schools can be as much of a mixed bag as public schools. Some are phenomenal and produce great thinkers and citizens of the world. Some turn out “graduates” who can barely read at a 5th grade level (private schools in Texas are very lightly regulated, not usually required to test students based on national norms though many do, and some are just fly by night operations meant to bilk desperate parents).

You make the assumption that testing for "national norms" means something - and that public schools do better with testing to national norms. I have seen people who can test well but have no capacity to really be a thinker (nor get very far) and vice versa.

One of the things I wrestled with when we were given DS's scores that stunned us was - what exactly do I consider an education? How/where do we want that educational setting to be? And that is going to be very personal - for some families, it is to be "best at every academic level", for some, it is "must go to ivy league/research", for some, it is to be at least at the "national" level for each grade. So schools (and to some extent, the teachers) will usually reflect the collective values of the parents - although public schools have to figure out how to combine the collective parental body's values with the bureaucratic dictates set by government.

Note - not all Texas parents are focused on football, and Texas has some great schools and great universities... all states will have pockets of poor schools and good schools - public and/or private, even in the highly touted MA (my husband went to a "highly regarded" public school system in MA, and we would never send our children to a school system like that. ever).

You're right, I shouldn't have said national norms but national standards. This opinion goes back to personal knowledge of private "schools" whose grade levels were 1-3 years behind even the local standards, which should not be acceptable absent certain extenuating circumstances.

I am from Texas and still live here, so I didn't mean to offend. Several of my family members have taught in Texas schools for generations, and I could unfortunately provide hours of stories about students (mostly boys) being pushed through schools because they are good at sports. I never said every school and certainly not every family, but it's hard to deny that Texas is sports obsessed and has shown it is more than willing to sacrifice education in the pursuit of same.

M
    M
    Originally Posted by Dude
    My public high school was located in a blue-collar exurb with a high percentage of ESL students. Test scores would have put it solidly in the bottom third of the state. Its one claim to excellence was a top-ranked football team.

And yet, I had an outstanding educational experience there. It was the first time in my life I was actually challenged and engaged. In some cases, the high school classes were superior in that respect to their collegiate equivalents.

The major reason why the quality was so good for an HG student in a bad school: it was LARGE. As a result, there was a large-enough pool of AP students that a particular AP class would be available most hours of the day, allowing for flexible scheduling. Want to do two histories or two lab sciences in the same year? No problem. Is your English preference for AP Literature or AP Composition? We have different teachers specializing on each. Trying to take full advantage of the top-notch fine arts and/or foreign language programs? We offer early AP subject classes before the start of the normal school day, and other required subjects during summer school, so you can make room in your schedule for more electives.

A large school also meant a large faculty, with the best qualified and evaluated teachers tabbed for the AP classes. With one glaring exception, all of my teachers were very knowledgeable about their subject matter, and passionate about sharing that knowledge.

I share this experience because there have been a number of parents reporting how the highly-ranked public or private school failed to meet the needs of their gifted children on this forum, and my experience is the converse, where a poorly-ranked public school served the needs of a gifted child surprisingly well. The takeaway is rankings or reputation tell you little about individual experiences within an educational setting.

Though I either still wasn't sufficiently challenged or just chose not to push myself, I had a very similar experience as you. A large (2500 students or so), somewhat urban, mostly poor, majority minority high school which today people are shocked when they discover it is where I attended. Because of its size, I was able to schedule 2 sciences each year of school, take 2 different foreign languages, go as far as I wanted in math/history/literature, with electives unheard of in today's schools for the most part. At the time, the area private school didn't have half the offerings my large public school did, and for that matter, neither did the small public school some of my family attended.

The one size/type must fit all approach to education is a large part of our problems.

M
    M
    Originally Posted by indigo
    An overarching difference between public and private schools is that currently public schools are charged with closing achievement gaps, performance gaps, excellence gaps. While some efforts may be successful at helping to bring up students at the bottom, another way to close achievement gaps is to limit the growth/performance/achievement of students at the top.

I agree, but I also see that as part and parcel of the testing requirements which have been enacted by elected officials. Although schools are supposed to be testing whether the student has made "adequate yearly progress", in reality all that is tested is whether the student meets the grade level standards. If we truly followed the adequate yearly progress mandate, then even gifted learners and bright children would face more rigorous expectations- a good thing in my opinion! The insane emphasis on testing also hurts those children on the other end, those for whom meeting the standards of 2-6 grade levels below is actually a victory and should be recognized as such.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by MonetFan
    The one size/type must fit all approach to education is a large part of our problems.
    Agreed.

T
    T
    Originally Posted by mithawk
    I am joining this thread late, but Massachusetts has a number of public school systems that I consider to be as good or better than all but a few of the nation's best private schools. And I'm talking about schools available to anyone in the town, not exam schools like Boston Latin.

Our school system does not encourage grade acceleration, nor is there really separate classes for gifted kids. Yet my son's grade has has 3 of top 100 math students in the country, and recent high school grads have included an IMO gold medalist and Davidson Scholarship award winner. The average SAT score is above the 90th percentile.

And there is another public school system in Massachusetts that is arguably even better. These schools are admittedly rare, and the towns are somewhat expensive to live in. But given the cost of private school tuition, they are an absolute bargain. I am sure there are similar schools in many other states as well.

I disagree. Somewhat expensive = $300,000 to $500,000 premium on housing. Even the super expensive $40,000 a year schools are less than that, and I've heard they give generous aid to even wealthy families.

But, even that's assuming that these prestigious districts are appropriate for gifted kids rather than highly pressured hothouse kids, which is (from what I've heard) debatable. Several people have told me that a mediocre district is more flexible for kids beyond the norm.

Last edited by Tallulah; 03/10/15 03:11 PM.
    L
    L
    Just saw the thread and wanted to share my experience in WA state.

I have a 3rd grader who went to public school for K&1(very good school district) and now participates to full time gifted program in public school.

My younger one is a Kindergartener and we chose to send him to a private school. One particular reason to choose a different path was class sizes. Public school general education classes are about 27 kids per teacher. Class size at the school my son attending is 12 kids per teacher. In addition to the education about 1/2 grades ahead of public school, he gets to have twice as many art, music, PE, technology and Spanish class. One more difference is that teachers at private schools are much nicer ;-) Even though it's a great private school etc., I don't think it can beat the full time gifted program in public school though. Full time gifted program starts in 2nd grade in our state, so we will get my son tested next year when he is 1st grade and pull him out to public school starting 2nd grade.

Summary is that there are so many factors to decide which one is best fit for your child/family. I don't think there is any right answer about which one is better? public or private?

Hope that helps...

M
    M
    Originally Posted by Tallulah
    Originally Posted by mithawk
    I am joining this thread late, but Massachusetts has a number of public school systems that I consider to be as good or better than all but a few of the nation's best private schools. And I'm talking about schools available to anyone in the town, not exam schools like Boston Latin.

Our school system does not encourage grade acceleration, nor is there really separate classes for gifted kids. Yet my son's grade has has 3 of top 100 math students in the country, and recent high school grads have included an IMO gold medalist and Davidson Scholarship award winner. The average SAT score is above the 90th percentile.

And there is another public school system in Massachusetts that is arguably even better. These schools are admittedly rare, and the towns are somewhat expensive to live in. But given the cost of private school tuition, they are an absolute bargain. I am sure there are similar schools in many other states as well.

I disagree. Somewhat expensive = $300,000 to $500,000 premium on housing. Even the super expensive $40,000 a year schools are less than that, and I've heard they give generous aid to even wealthy families.

But, even that's assuming that these prestigious districts are appropriate for gifted kids rather than highly pressured hothouse kids, which is (from what I've heard) debatable. Several people have told me that a mediocre district is more flexible for kids beyond the norm.

I disagree with your math. Spending $40K per year on tuition is money gone forever. On the other hand, spending $40K per year on a 30-year mortgage @ 4% will allow you to buy a $700K property. Let's call it a $600K property to leave money for property taxes. Depending on the town and location, you can get a home with 1800-2500+ sq ft are available for that much money. That also gives you a place to live, equity over time, and possible asset appreciation. Or you could rent instead and get an even nicer place. The costs of public and private schools are not even remotely comparable.

Also, it matters little even if most of these "prestiguous" districts are hot-houses (which as you say, is debatable). All that matters is if the one you choose for your child is nurturing for gifted kids. We have found that to be the case in ours, and I hear the same is true in the town that is arguably better, as we know a lot of families with gifted children from both towns.

The mortgage lasts 30 years, but the private school tuition does not. With the kids we're talking about, 10 years is no sweat.

M
    M
    You can sell the home and move out when the kids leave school. Or if you don't want the risk of declining home prices, you can also rent.

C
    C
    We have experience similar to that described by mithawk (without the math olympiad stars, sadly). Our public district is strong, big enough to offer multiple very high level teams/academic clubs, and draws a good cohort of gifted kids for those reasons. Is it perfect? Certainly not, but for us, it is the best option locally by a long shot.

Page 8 of 14 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 13 14

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM