Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 156 guests, and 42 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    I
    OP Offline
    I
    I am looking into the possibility of a school that caters to gifted kids but it is so super small that it is scary. Does anybody have:
    A. Most important real experience with a super small school catering to gifted children.
    B. Solid empirical evidence relating to benefits vs negative outcomes. Particularly in regards to gifted kids.
    C. Lastly, but still okay, a good logical argument for or against this path for a probable gifted child.

Background: No, I have not had my 3 year old tested yet, but I would be surprised if she is not tested to be some level of gifted.

I do realize that more information is required in order to make a judgment for or against a school. I would, however, like to limit the focus of this tread to the 2 topics of very small schools and very small schools catering to gifted kids

I am going to launch 2 topics my other topic is on language immersion. I would put them together, but I do not want one to hijack the other, but if anyone has insight that is related to both topics that might be interesting.

A
    A
    This blog post is from an educational consultant focusing on gifted micro schools:

http://jadeannrivera.com/what-a-micro-school-can-be-for-a-gifted-learner/

She can definitely cover (a), and might have (b) and (c).

What is to give light must endure burning.
    M
    M
    My DD has been going to an outdoor micro school since last spring so it's been almost a year but it's not specifically a school for gifted. There is another child there who reads fluently and there is one or two girls who seem very precocious socially but I'm not sure if DD feels she is among her "peers." I really don't know. At the same time, if there were to be another micro school that caters to gifted children, I'm not sure if I would want to switch. DD has a standing weekly educational playdate with a 8 year old boy who is exceptionally smart. They get along beautifully but that's the thing. DD already knows how to gets along with other "nerdy" children (especially boys) who want to talk science and numbers. Right now, I'm still hopeful that with enough guidance and support, she will find ways to connect to age-peers who do not use words that appear on SAT hit parade lists.

I am not aware of any empirical evidence as I did zero research before jointing the school. The reason I chose a micro school over other choices was that I did not feel DD was ready to be one of 24 children in a classroom when she was 3.

I have a couple of friends who are rather vocal against keeping DD there next year. They feel that kind of environment is not really "school" enough. They also feel it'd be a lot easier for DD to find a true peer if I sent her to a large selective private school. I thought that was a valid point so I did apply her to two such private schools and I won't know if DD is offered a spot or not until April. More I think about those two schools though, less sure I feel about sending her to either. The average household income is probably well over $150,000 at both schools and we would stick out like sore thumbs.

Another aspect of sending a gifted child to a micro school is that at least my DD tends to get bored rather quickly. With one teacher and a handful of classmates, your DD might feel restless soon too. We went through a rough patch recently and things are still a bit bumpy but I'd like to view if as a learning experience for DD, that things aren't always going to be new, exciting, fun, and to her liking.

Right now, I'm leaning towards keeping her there one more year. She can go 3 days a week and homeschool with me and SO 2 days. I applied to join a charter school that supports homeschooling families and we were accepted. My biggest concern is that as many of the other children at the micro school are going to be 5 and 6 next year, DD's teacher might feel she has to do some Kindergarten academics next year. That would make things a lot worse for us. I am having a dialogue with her teacher to see what her plan is.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by it_is_2day
    A. Most important real experience with a super small school catering to gifted children.
    B. Solid empirical evidence relating to benefits vs negative outcomes. Particularly in regards to gifted kids.
    C. Lastly, but still okay, a good logical argument for or against this path for a probable gifted child.
    A. Being small and therefore nimble, school can be highly responsive. Lots of great college placements and happy, well-grounded, realistic kids. Not for tiger parents or tiger cubs /trophy kids.
    B. School based on empirical research, but does NOT subject students to research studies.
    C. No argument for a "probable gifted" child. Entrance requirements include thorough testing.

I
    OP Offline
    I
    All, I do appreciate all of the responses. Thank you Mana, as it appears you covered A the real experience. Thank you Aquinas for the interesting link.

I do not expect that too many people have experience with micro schools due to the micro aspect to them coupled with my assumption that there are not too many of these schools.

As for catering to gifted: if MG is included then large metropolitan areas could have relatively large schools that cater to gifted, but if only higher LOG are allowed then the micro aspect becomes more of a necessity. It was my hope in this forum I would have a reasonable chance of finding a fair number of folks who went the micro school route, or have children that are going the micro school route.

I
    I
    It was my hope in this forum I would have a reasonable chance of finding a fair number of folks who went the micro school route, or have children that are going the micro school route.
    Many people join forums to learn of resources and/or to gain assistance with advocacy. By contrast, when a child's educational needs are well-served, parents do not feel a need to seek such information.

I
    OP Offline
    I
    Originally Posted by indigo
    It was my hope in this forum I would have a reasonable chance of finding a fair number of folks who went the micro school route, or have children that are going the micro school route.
    Many people join forums to learn of resources and/or to gain assistance with advocacy. By contrast, when a child's educational needs are well-served, parents do not feel a need to seek such information.

So, are you trying to say that many parents who have gone the route of micro schools have no need for this forum, so I will not find them here?

It seems to me that a lot of parents who have a child like my daughter would make it to this forum regardless of school related issues. Ie, sensitivities, making ones house child proof when your child can figure out how to break past normal child proofing measures, and behavioral issues.

To me formal education is far from the most important area of life, but it is one of the areas of life, and it does steal a large number of hours from ones life, so it is important to make those hours as beneficial to my child's whole being as possible.

I hope I am not alone in looking to the future. I believe that at least a few other parents are of the type to look for solutions ahead of time rather than troubleshooting problems that already exist. I prefer to do preventative maintenance on my car over fixing my car once it is broken. Waiting until advocacy is required is much like waiting until black smoke is pouring from the tail pipe to think of maintenance. She is 3 yo, and so will be entering a school system within the next couple of years. Now, I believe is the optimum time to start planning that entry; not 2 or 3 years from now. Definitely not when she is in the 2nd or 3rd grade, and has had much possibly avoidable negative interactions with the education system.

Last edited by it_is_2day; 03/08/15 11:58 AM.
    I
    I
    ... issues... Ie, sensitivities, making ones house child proof when your child can figure out how to break past normal child proofing measures, and behavioral issues.
    I've not seen much forum activity on childproofing. Issues of gifted sensitivities and behavioral issues related to giftedness may be well-addressed by a team of caring teachers who "get" gifted. The teaching team might, in some cases, partner with those who've worked with the child/family for IQ/achievement testing.

Now, I believe is the optimum time to start planning that entry; not 2 or 3 years from now. Definitely not when she is in the 2nd or 3rd grade, and has had much possibly avoidable negative interactions with the education system.
    This is admirable. Some may undertake this effort by visiting directly with the local educational options, as well as beginning to document the child's interests, activities, and efforts, including creating a list of books read. The needs and growth of children can vary considerably over time. This may be especially pronounced with gifted children, who may need or benefit from a significantly different learning environment from year to year. Which is to say, your child may need advocacy in 2nd or 3rd grade, despite your best efforts at planning now.

I
    OP Offline
    I
    Well, I would like to thank everyone again for their responses, and welcome more responses, especially from individuals with relevant information. IE. People who have had their child in a micro schools, or are privy to studies that give insight into these types of schools.

Last edited by it_is_2day; 03/08/15 12:29 PM.
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    I hope I am not alone in looking to the future.
    A wise and admirable ambition.

But I would echo the consideration that needs change in unforeseeable ways, and it is neither possible nor conducive to restful sleep to try to plan for all contingencies. wink

The other way of thinking about it is that there are many points along the way at which it will be possible to change the trajectory. As long as your child's well-being is carefully monitored by those who care for her best interest (a point on which I feel pretty confident we can rely!), the likelihood of something irredeemably bad happening because of her educational situation is relatively small.

So do your research, plan, and examine the options. But don't cause yourself too much anxiety trying to map out the whole path now.

On the question of who visits this forum, I would agree both that the population is probably enriched for those with some kind of need, and that one might expect that those needs would be different, so some might be able to share positive experiences as well.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM