Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 372 guests, and 24 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    OP Offline
    We're homeschooling and I'm trying to do more with language arts. DS6 has dyslexia/dysgraphia/dyspraxia, but his giftedness is in language (of course, ironically). What I've been doing is just a ton of read-alouds, books on computer, etc. I do a lot of student-led interest books. I also read literature to him, either from good quality children's lit lists, mensa lists, anything that sounds nice. But then I just ask for summaries on the chapters, how the books made him feel, main ideas, characters, etc. I'm at a loss and feel it's not enough conceptually. But I'm uncertain a formal LA program will be too difficult because of the dyslexia/dysgraphia. I currently scribe and read everything as we're slowly remediating the dyslexia.

Are there any programs that are great for high IQ in language arts but modifiable for dyslexia/dysgraphia? Also time is a concern as we spend a lot of our day working on homeschool. Better than public school but still pretty busy. I've heard a lot about MCT but I'm pretty ignorant about the program.

Life is the hardest teacher. It gives the test first and then teaches the lesson.
    I actually think you're doing an awesome job with what you're doing. I would encourage you to do what you're doing and exposing him to different types of reading materials and subjects. There's a catch when you start to formalize or provide more structure to what you're doing - you may lose your ds's motivation, interest, and attention.

My ds9 has dyspraxia too and possibly dysgraphia who has been un/homeschooled for the last three years. I have loosely followed a general curriculum series for the elementary years just to cover the basics or gaping holes. Others here my chime in with suggestions, but really your investment in your son and his education is what's key and what will pay off here, imo.

OP Offline
    Sorry to post and run! I find it so hard to get on forums nowadays. I do appreciate the suggestions given. I will look into MCT. It appears they have a literature as well as a grammar curriculum. I just wonder if I'll be able to adapt a grammar curriculum for dyslexia/dysgraphia. We're doing copywork daily that is simple and reviews sight words, nothing complex. The Orton Gillingham method I'm using for dyslexia addresses reading, spelling, writing, sentence formation but not really parts of sentences as far as I can tell. I have DS give oral reports on chapters read sometimes and correct speaking as we go along to be more formal. I also use Lexia Core 5 as a back up computer program which I suspect in future units discusses verbs/adjectives/grammar.

Life is the hardest teacher. It gives the test first and then teaches the lesson.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations