Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 105 guests, and 31 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    N
    ndw Offline OP
    OP Offline
    N
    While researching I came across this. Thought it might be an interesting read.

http://www.economist.com/news/unite...rn-higher-education-would-be-much-better

I
    I
    What especially stood out to you in the article? For me it was:
    the cost of university per student has risen by almost five times the rate of inflation since 1983

The examples supporting
    not all degrees are equally useful
    do not happen to mention that students can check the Occupational Outlook Handbook ( OOH ) of the U.S. Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics, as part of their college and career planning. This can be an important and valuable resource.

N
    ndw Offline OP
    OP Offline
    N
    Yes, definitely the rise in costs above inflation stood out. That is happening here too especially as the government pushes for University deregulation.

Not all degrees are equal wasn't always the case here. When I went to Uni there was no real difference in where you obtained your degree. Australia had a very limited number of Universities then and the education was fairly well equal apart from "tonal" differences. We have a much greater number now, piddling compared to the U.S. though, but there are qualitative differences appearing.

Thanks for the reference to OOH.

I
    I
    When I went to Uni there was no real difference in where you obtained your degree.
    Some might say that in a growing economy, with a variety of jobs available, and a variety of skills needed, that where one obtains one's degree may be of little consequence. Currently, the number of jobs available worldwide seems to be decreasing as computerization replaces human effort. Therefore employers may be highly selective and may choose to weigh additional factors, such as which colleges/universities a prospective employee attended.

When there are more job openings than there are people to fill them, it is an employee's market. When there are fewer job openings than there are people to fill them, it is an employer's market; There is increased competition among prospective employees, including the attainment of one's education.

deregulation... had a very limited number of Universities then... have a much greater number now
    In the U.S. there is a process of "accreditation". Each institution can have its own mission statement and vision, a diversity which adds balance to society and provides a choice to consumers in a free market. That being said, one of criteria for accreditation is "student outcomes."

As mentioned on a recent thread, accreditation of post-secondary institutions is being discussed until Feb 28, 2015, as is the NACIQI's desire to control that process.
    There is value in sustaining the determination of quality as a non-governmental function. In this, we note that a strength of American higher education has been its freedom from federal determination of institutional quality and self-improvement processes.
    While "self-regulation" is touted, some may say withholding an institution's Title IV funding may be coercion to "compliance" with changes in accreditation criteria. Much of the accreditation discussion seems to revolve around "student outcomes" which could be interpreted as employment in one's chosen field. In the current economy which is an employer's market, this could create a slippery slope to closing colleges/universities by means of an organized implementation of hiring practices from preferred institutions.

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM