Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 127 guests, and 50 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    N
    N
    Since there are limited options in DC, is it worth considering a gap year (or 1.5 years due to her HS graduation date)? If she was a year older - say 17 - would it be okay for her to live at college?

I am just wondering since there are a lot more options if you expand the possibilities to schools within a three hour drive. That would include the Philadelphia area, which has many options. Then you have Baltimore between Philadelphia and DC, and there are some good schools in VA.

If money is a concern (and it is for most of us), then being old enough to go away to school would open up some merit aid options.

Also, I don't think AU meets full need (though they have gotten better about this in recent years). Also, you'll need to check with schools to see if they consider your DD an international or not. At the time of application, you will be living outside the US, but by the time she attends, you'll be in the US - you may need to discuss with the schools individually. Many schools do not meet full need for internationals, but will for those with parents living in the US.

About the SATs, please note that the format will change in Spring 2016. She should probably try the old format, and if she wants to, she can try the new format. Also, try the ACT. Schools in the US accept either one. Some schools also require SAT Subject Tests, so you'll need to check requirements for each school you are considering.

Be sure to investigate the search tools at College Board's website-- you can search using a pretty wide array of metrics, and you can also see what average SAT scores, ACT scores, GPA, etc. are at institutions.

Also be aware that many US campuses now have more or less rigid freshman residency requirements-- this is sort of a new thing, and it really complicates life with a young student-- but most will make an exception if the student is living off-campus with a parent.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    N
    ndw Offline OP
    OP Offline
    N
    We are considering an array of options NSG. I even discussed doing a year or two of high school in the US but DD wasn't keen and I understood that as she is working hard in her senior years. The idea of more HS wasn't appealing. I was thinking about options to meet people.

DD doesn't want to go away for college at the moment....she is 13 still and a homebody so the concept is not easy for her to swallow. Much may change in the next couple of years but hard to predict. I don't think too long of a gap year is a good plan for our DD. She will lose some of the momentum she has been building. Other thoughts we are considering is doing some online courses in the intervening period.

Thanks for the hints HK. We are still early in the process so I hadn't explored the College Board website in detail. I will certainly add that to my research tools. I did ask AU specifically about residentiL requirements and also age limits, we have to seek special permission at some Unis for underage kids. They were fine about both.

I think I can see some spreadsheet building in my near future.

I really appreciate everyone's help. I am sure you appreciate that it is a big deal for us. One we haven't yet fully absorbed. I was having enough fun working out where DD might go to Uni here. We had already started down that path. But life is full of interesting twists.

T
    T
    Instead of splitting up the family so she can finish up high school in Australia, how about checking out something like the PEG or the ECA program at Mary Baldwin college. http://www.mbc.edu/early_college/peg/
    http://www.mbc.edu/early_college/eca/
    I would not let a 13 yo "homebody" child decide now that she is not going to go away for college. Nor would I tell her that she has to, of course. But do not take it off the table immediately. Maryland and Virginia appear to have some very interesting options to explore (eg William and Mary) if she is willing to consider the 3 hour radius as PP suggested.

Last edited by Tigerle; 02/12/15 01:27 AM.
    N
    ndw Offline OP
    OP Offline
    N
    Thanks Tigerle. I have looked at Mary Baldwin, from a distance, a few times. I thought it would be a good option too. Lots of digging led to mixed reviews and it was hard to sort through them without actually visiting the place ourselves. I will add it to the list for when we get a chance to get to the U.S. It would appear to be a place that could suit our needs, although more of an arts bent than science which is DDs preference.

I agree that it is hard to make judgements about what might be achievable for DD in a year or so re going away to school. At the moment she is a little anxious about a weekend away for school. It would be ok but she is in a new year group not with the friends she knows. I keep the possibility in the back of my mind but it would have to be a specialized program like Mary Baldwin geared to younger students. Simon Rock was another consideration.

At the moment the first priority would seem to be looking at the SATs or ACT. I downloaded a practise test and there is also lots of material on Khan Academy as a quick first look. The Maths doesn't seem to be an issue and there were no questions needing Imperial conversion on the test I saw. The English is will need some practise. I can see DD getting a bit tangled with some of it, just because it is not the sort of test she is used to.

While she works on the test prep, we can also look at the options. There are a bunch of Universities I have never heard of I the DC, Maryland, Virginia area but there may be reasons I haven't heard of them so work to be done.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by ndw
    geared to younger students
    Have you seen the articles on the Davidson Database regarding early college?

There are also free downloadable guidebooks, including one on early college which comes in both a parent version and a student version.

T
    T
    I know your D also says she won't want to go to high school in the US, but if she's of a rather sciency bent, you might want to check out Thomas Jefferson high school in Northern virginia. Their science offerings are probably equal to or better than those of the less well known colleges in the area.
    Again, don't table any options now, of course she is rather overwhelmed by the idea of a move across the globe.

Last edited by Tigerle; 02/12/15 07:03 AM.
    N
    ndw Offline OP
    OP Offline
    N
    Thanks Indigo. Yes I have seen the early college resources on Davidson and reviewed the options.

I did review Thomas Jefferson High Tigerle. They have very restrictive admission requirements as they are a selective high school. It is rare that a place in available for Juniors and I don't think they take seniors.

I have looked at a few different school options both public and private. The cost of private school is better put towards University. There is no easy way to compare what DD has done academically here and the high school graduation requirements in the US. I had a chat to a couple of schools and it is hard for them to compare. Not I possible but an additional pain. I have friends in the US who have told me they have had similar problems moving between states.

S
    S
    Hi ndw, I sent you a PM.

N
    ndw Offline OP
    OP Offline
    N
    Thanks loubalou. PM sent back

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts