Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 417 guests, and 45 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    I
    I
    GHF is an all-in-one gifted, 2e, and homeschooling website with curriculum ideas, support, books, etc. Some features include:
    - The tab of " favorite things". (Very helpful curriculum and resources list, for homeschooling and for enrichment/afterschooling.)
    - The tab of "GHF Professionals", "Complimentary Brochures" (Great introduction of giftedness, to present to pediatricians and others, as conversation starters.)
    - The tab of "Articles", including "Education Alternatives" (Lots of good info here about beginning homeschooling.)
    - Book summaries and reviews.

J
    OP Offline
    J
    Thank you so much! For right now we will finish out the school year with K12. That will give me time to research and learn so I know exactly what I need to do for next year.

I do have to say, he is really enjoying learning at home and moving at his own pace. He is able to complete his assignments much quicker without waiting for others.

While we weren't with the same cyberschool, that was what we ultimately found was the best thing about them--

for HG+ kids, it was all the credentialing in 1/3 the time!

wink Leaving time for things other than jumping through one pointless hoop after another and stopping to pause in between, I mean. It wasn't that the hoops were different-- just that jumping through them could be compressed into a much less odious amount of time. LOL.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    B
    B
    What grade is he in?

DS7 (second grade) did Performance Series and was at around 3050 for math but the highest level he did on Khan Academy was around 5th-6th grade level so I am really not sure how he was able to show mastery on so many high-level skills. Most kids don't get to the 3000's until they hit around 9th grade. He is at around 2850 for reading. All I know is that that my DS scores 99th percentile for both math and reading for second grade, and that doesn't really mean that much (how MUCH above 99th percentile?) but there is a quartile chart you can look at to get a better idea of where he falls in terms of comparing to other grade levels.
    http://www.tcss.net/cms/lib3/AL0100...%20Placement%20Indicators%20-%202013.pdf

I wish I had a better chart because it only goes up to 75th percentile. Even though DS's score is so high, he is NOT at a 10th grade level and should not be accelerated that much. The school accelerated him to 6th grade math and that seems to be about right for now. The test just means that he is guessing as well as the 10th graders.

In terms of the scores with 3 numbers in a row, those are the confidence intervals so I think you want to look at the numbers in the middle. If you compare these numbers, you can see if anything is particularly low or high compared to the others. But take it with a grain of salt. In the fall, DS's fiction score was several hundred points higher than nonfiction, and in the winter the scores reversed and his nonfiction score went up about 500 points even though all he was reading was fiction in between tests. In the case of your DS, it looks like he struggled the most with Data Analysis and Long Passages.

P
    P
    While it may not be homeschooling it does mean your child won't be twiddling his thumbs half the day. He can do his work and move on
    You can add stuff alongside - after school without intruding into his free time.

B
    B
    I forgot to add that in terms of the WPM, I think it is just timing them from the time they first start reading a passage to when they answer a question. It's another thing to take with a grain of salt. So DS, for instance, was only at around 80-90 WPM in the fall--he probably spaced out at some point, or he was searching for the answer to a question in the passage. In the winter, it states 180 wpm for reading speed, so that is a huge difference and probably more in line with what his "real" reading speed is rather than 80-90. Things haven't changed THAT much in 4 months, esp. since his oral reading speed assessed in the fall was 132, not 80-90.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM