Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 293 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
    #210131 02/03/15 08:57 AM
    J
    OP Offline
    J
    Has anyone seen this? Any thoughts?

I
    I
    Interesting, as there have been a number of competitive game shows on TV for years and of course sports competitions are common.

While there is good and bad in everything and the series could result in exploitation and furthering negative stereotypes, it could also help raise awareness of giftedness and acceptance of gifted individuals. The "cast" or contestant profile pages are interesting. The point about the kids connecting with one another is a strong positive.

Inspired by this thread, here is a thread on another TV show featuring talented kids.

M
    M
    I haven't seen the Lifetime version, but the 2013 Channel4 version was both riveting and painfully and transparently exploitative.

I hate watched the entire thing and vowed not to watch any further iterations. I felt badly enough about myself for the the three hours that I invested that I skipped the 2014 series.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Looks like it was a project with Mensa.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    P
    P
    Originally Posted by indigo
    While there is good and bad in everything and the series could result in exploitation and furthering negative stereotypes, it could also help raise awareness of giftedness and acceptance of gifted individuals.
    I am sure they taped a lot of footage and they selected to show and also select tiger mom/dad more than anyone. The most likely conclusion the audience will get, is the "child genius" is the product of helicopter parenting. At least that was true from what I have seen so far from the show. I am afraid the show negatively portrayed the gifted kids. At least I am glad it's on lifetime and not a major network.

Another similar show is planning and recruiting the gifted kids (through Mensa) and promise to be on major network.

L
    L
    I wish this was a show that really helped give others an understanding of the challenges these families face...but it isn't.

Instead, this is a show that asks children to perform extremely memory-intensive tasks for show, and which through editing, perpetuates some very negative stereotypes about such children and their families. The children on this show are undoubtedly extremely bright, but this show seems most interested in showcasing extraordinary memory abilities. I am sure that the children and these families have more amazing qualities than are actually revealed on this show.

The title of the show just makes me cringe.

Q
    Q
    I have been watching it because my kids heard about it at school and wanted to watch. They are enjoying the episodes and honestly, it's pretty funny as long as you don't take it or yourselves too seriously. It's all for entertainment rather than a dedicated competition like Jeopardy or an educational documentary. A few of the participating kids are DYS as well. It gave us a platform to discuss different aspects of intelligence/ability and it was fun for DS to figure out on which categories he would have excelled and on which ones he would have struggled to survive.

R
    R
    Originally Posted by jack'smom

No. I don't watch TV. Thoughts? You shouldn't watch TV either. Pop culture isn't normative. Just because others accept things as normal is not a reason for me to do so....

Sorry.... you asked.

Val Offline
    Okay, I just watched a few clips on YouTube while eating lunch. The negative comments others have written pretty much sum up my reaction to this show. Stuff like this makes me glad that I cancelled our cable subscription some years ago (I'll add that it was two or three weeks before someone even noticed).

The vulgarity of this show meshes with the comments I made on this thread right before watching the YouTube clips:

I think that there's a tendency to sensationalize cognitive talent and IQ in western society. There are lots of published stories about kids who have "Einstein IQs" or who write symphonies when they're 4 or who can master something without repetition or with very little repetition. Personally, I think that a lot of these stories are exaggerated, which pushes other people to exaggerate and gives the whole thing an unfortunately high level of inertia. TBH, sometimes I feel like some of the stuff I read here is exaggerated, and I wonder if it happens because people are responding to other exaggerations because they feel they need to keep up with them.

Last edited by Val; 02/04/15 01:06 PM. Reason: Clarity
    Originally Posted by raptor_dad
    Originally Posted by jack'smom

No. I don't watch TV. Thoughts? You shouldn't watch TV either. Pop culture isn't normative. Just because others accept things as normal is not a reason for me to do so....

Sorry.... you asked.

This.

I haven't seen it and don't plan to. Val's assessment of the basic vulgarity of the concept is nicely encapsulated by a bit of insightful, but subtle advice penned by Harper Lee-- so, in the timeless and pointed words of Atticus Finch to Scout:

(on the subject of not using particularly offensive, if common, language and customs) it's common.

Different subject, obviously-- but clearly a regular theme in following popular practices and culture.

I often have that sense about reality television, in general terms.

And yes, this is one of DD's absolutely very favorite quotes from Mockingbird-- and one of mine, as well. It's very well to be normative, until it becomes something revolting.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM