Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 417 guests, and 45 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    J
    OP Offline
    J
    I just switched DS10 to online homeschool via the K12 program. Even attending out of district in one of the best schools in the state he was getting bored this year. After a lot of thought (and asking myself if I was insane), I felt this would be the best choice for now. It is our first foray into the homeschool realm.

For a little backstory he was found to be above average on the WISC IV, just missing the "gifted" cutoff. On the WIAT III mathematics (his true skill), he hit the ceiling at 160 and in the >99.9th percentile. His psychologist rated him as profoundly gifted in mathematics and well above average in verbal.

I was wondering if any other homeschool parents use this program, if any are familiar with the Scantron test, and if any would be able to explain the results of the Scantron. His results are listed below:

Math:
    Scaled Score 2816
    SEM (55.725)
    Performance: Above Average
    Numbers & Operations 2618-2741-2864
    Algebra 2528-2658-2788
    Geometry 2994-3203-3412
    Measurement 2825-2954-3083
    Data Analysis & Probability 2496-2629-2762
    National Percentile Rank 98th percentile

Reading:
    Scaled Score: 2780
    SEM (65-820)
    Performance: High Average
    Vocabulary 2839-2957-3075
    Long Passage 2308-2463-2618
    Fiction 2849-3021-3193
    Nonfiction 2485-2656-2827
    National Percentile Rank 74th percentile
    Words Per Minute 155

His reading honestly could have been much higher but he was bored and fidgety.

The school did decide to do grade level acceleration for math, which I fully agreed to. They offered full grade acceleration but I declined because he does need to work on several core items in Language Arts.

If anyone has insight, advice, personal stories (good and bad), please let me know!

I
    I
    A public virtual school is not actually homeschool. It is distinct from homeschool as there is not parental control of curriculum choice and sequencing. For example, "The school did decide to do grade level acceleration for math, which I fully agreed to. They offered full grade acceleration..."

The scantron test is the school's type of computer-adaptive test, similar to COMPASS or NWEA/MAP, and may be used for placement and also for monitoring student progress. The school will typically provide families with score interpretation and percentiles, which it seems you already have. You'll want to see growth reflected in your child's next set of scores.

J
    OP Offline
    J
    I get that it's not "homeschool" like many do on here. However, this is my first time attempting to do anything outside of a regular school for his full education. I wanted to make sure that I didn't miss any needed areas for him. Or even possible ideas for strengthening his weaknesses.

E
    E
    Scantron is not the name of a test, it's the name of a specific format of answer sheet. No one will be able to tell you anything about the test without a real name.

I
    I
    While you are correct, that Scantron is the name of a bubble-in form, the OP is also correct that is the name of a proprietary online test.

E
    E
    Originally Posted by indigo
    While you are correct, that Scantron is the name of a bubble-in form, the OP is also correct that is the name of a proprietary online test.

Huh - I would have called that test "Performance Series," but I guess I can understand referring to it as "Scantron." I don't know anything about it, though.

I
    I
    Because the tests are not standard achievement tests, there is not much to go on to provide additional interpretation. That said, the words per minute is a fluency measure...

National Percentile Rank 74th percentile... Words Per Minute 155
    Looking at two reading fluency tables easily found online with a websearch (A to Z and read naturally), these tables seem to agree that 155 words is roughly a 5th grade level.

The read naturally chart indicates that a winter score of 156 words correct per minute is at the 75th percentile among 5th graders, and a spring score of 168 WCPM would be 75th percentile among 5th graders, with growth of approximately .9 WCPM each week.

Looking into such measures may help you informally assess your child's progress in the interim.

J
    OP Offline
    J
    Indigo, thank you for those links. I will save those to my favorites.

I'm not sure how they got the words per minute on the Scantron but he does a new DIBELS on Wednesday. His fall DIBELS at his brick and mortar was 197.

Depending on how this goes the remainder of the year we may go to an actual homeschool program next school year. I was just very concerned starting. smile

I
    I
    Depending on how this goes the remainder of the year we may go to an actual homeschool program next school year. I was just very concerned starting. smile
    Concern when contemplating beginning homeschooling is not uncommon. The public virtual schools may even capitalize on this concern by advertising their program as "homeschool" to attract parents who are considering homeschooling.

Meanwhile the availability of homeschool curriculum and support resources has increased in recent years. Possibly you are already familiar with Gifted Homeschoolers Forum (GHF) which can be a great starting point.

J
    OP Offline
    J
    No, I am not familiar with that forum. I just bookmarked it so I can look through it later on.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM