Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 288 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #210105 02/02/15 06:28 PM
    K
    kikib Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    My daughter is 8. She has adhd and she's in a gifted 2nd grade class. She came home from school today and was upset because her teacher said she rushed through her work. This isn't anything new. She has always been fast with everything, but she's starting to make silly mistakes. She claims she can't slow down and she doesn't know why she should have to. It's not her fault her brain is fast. She says she checks her work but I'm not sure that's true. Any ideas to help her slow down? Or at least me more accurate.

I
    I
    There are some good Children's books at Magination Press, including Learning to Slow Down & Pay Attention: a book for kids about ADHD. The website allows a preview of a few pages of the book to see if it may be of interest.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    The issue isn't really speed per se, but more self-monitoring. Many children (especially those with EF dysfunctions like ADHD) don't really know what self-monitoring looks like, so they think they are checking their work when they really aren't. You might consider walking her through checking her work, including verbalizing the mental process, so that she gets a chance to see what it actually consists of. Model for her how you check your work, then have her demonstrate for you, talking her own way through it. Go through this cycle on a regular/daily basis for a couple of weeks at home. Develop a short mental checklist for reviewing one's own work. E.g., with my own children, they know that the mental checklist for math work is 1) did I answer the question? 2) does my answer make sense? 3) do I have the correct units? Of course, one could add many other items to the checklist, but I don't expect anyone to remember more than about three or four items, even after many rounds of guided practice. This is mainly to hit some of the big potential trouble spots, and also to give direction to the process of monitoring and editing one's own work. So for this example, you might have her write three checks next to each math problem, as she answers each of the question involved in checking her work. The first one means she asked question 1, the second, question 2, etc. Once she becomes reasonably fluent with this at home, have her practice doing it at school, as well. Give the teacher a heads up that you've been working on this with her at home, so that, firstly, the check marks don't get unexpectedly penalized due to misunderstanding, and secondly, so the teacher has the option of reinforcing and cueing the use of the system.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Oh, and this handbook by Sandra Rief is a classic:

http://www.amazon.com/Reach-Teach-Children-ADHD-Interventions/dp/0787972959

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 01:03 PM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets