Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 414 guests, and 26 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    Welcome back, squirt!

I think of time as the easy, English-major-friendly example of mod: the 24 hour clock is a sort of mod system. We don't say 23:00 (unless we're in the military), we say 11:00. 23:00 = 11:00 mod 12.

Does that help? smile

Kriston
    Now I know why I went into Immunology......

I have no idea what you mean, said the English major...

grin

Kriston
    I switched my major from biology to math because I don't like memorizing stuff.

Interesting...I don't like memory stuff either but I went into Immunology. I guess it depends on the field.

S
    squirt Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    Well, for what's it's worth, I was a Computer Science major with a Math Minor!!

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    Please note that I'm not saying no drill ever. But in this context, I think that if a kid can do a whole bunch of division problems the first time out of the gate, he gets division. And maybe rather than fretting about whether he's doing enough work, maybe we should be taking it as a sign that he understands and we can move on.

I approach this question by moving on when my eldest understands the concept and can do a small series of problems without any help from me. I typically make increase the difficulty of the problems in the series. This helps catch little things, like place value in long division or remembering sign issues when moving numbers across the equals sign.

Then I'll give him a few of the same types of problems a week later. Can he still do them? If yes, great. If not, I go over them with him, which usually involves relatively quick reminders (but not always).

Then I'll do a review after maybe 2 weeks, and so it goes, with the time periods increasing.

Val

Val #20521 07/18/08 11:41 AM
    Agreed, Val. Review is different than drill, and review is important!

Kriston
    Val Offline
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    Agreed, Val. Review is different than drill, and review is important!

Exactly. You said that very nicely.

What I'm not wild about are the exercises where the kids have to do 100 "multiplication facts (6*7)" or "division facts (72/9)" every day in 4th/5th grade. How do kids stomach that stuff? I feel so sorry for them. Why can't they just memorize 6*7 etc. through applications in other areas, like long division or multuplying fractions?

Val

K
    K
    Two thoughts.

First, I pray a time comes that every summer families in our shoes look forward to school like "normal" people and fret over where to buy school supplies. It is sad that the families of such gifted kids cannot just "go" to school and get an emotionally safe and academically challenging. It would be nice to think - MAN remember 5 or 10 years ago when ever year was a fight or a painful decision of which imperfect option.

Second, here is my thought about the retired gt teacher... There is a page some where in Ruf's Losing Our Minds that describes a story when a mom expressed her child's ability to the teacher. but the teacher didn't get it or believe it. she later apologized to the family. Sometimes I wonder if we are overly concerned (I say this not having entered a public school yet) - and other times I think people just don't get it. You feel like saying 'hey you know that kid that was on the news for graduating college at 14' ... why can't you believe it doesn't just happen in a nameless town ... it could be standing and staring at your belly button right now.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM