Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 292 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #209321 01/20/15 10:38 PM
    P
    OP Offline
    P
    Please talk to me about Sluggish Cognitive Tempo (SCT).

DD10 was re-evaluated last week and the evaluator said this looks like a fit for her but because its not formally recognized a formal diagnosis would not be appropriate. I have read about it online but over the years I have found that folks here are usually my best source of information on such things.

As a reminder DD's scores range from above the 99th percentile to below the 1st percentile and she has been diagnosed with a laundry list of LD's (dyslexia, dysgraphia, dyspraxia, math disability, fine motor deficit, etc). I haven't gotten the report from this 3 day testing session yet but in the past her numbers showed a 40 point difference between her verbal comprehension and her visual perception, 50 point spreads between verbal and both working memory and processing speed. She does everything s-l-o-w-l-y but has high school level comprehension. The last evaluator labeled her "NLD-ish" (this evaluator said she doesn't think NLD is right) and ADHD-Inattentive which everyone who knows her rejects - including us, her therapist and her teachers. DD focuses really well and is always described as hard working, focused, diligent about getting things done, etc.

From what I've read some people think SCT is a subsection of ADHD-Inattentive which leaves me scratching my head. Others think of it as a 3rd type of ADHD (or 4th if you include ADHD-Combined as #3). Still others think of it as its own separate disorder. I am very confused to say the least. People have referred to it as "the new form of ADHD" but others say the concept has been around since the 1960's...

I asked a psychiatrist friend the other day and he had never heard of it. (He is a researcher not a clinician and specializes in substance abuse so this type of thing isn't on his radar.) It piqued his interest though and he plans to do a literature review and let me know what he finds.

I'm really looking for any real world experience I may be able to find. I don't want to get my hopes up but if this is "a real thing" that has a real treatment it could be huge for DD.

B
    B
    I read up on it a little a while back, and to me it seemed like another way of saying slow processing speed, or like a lot of the symptoms would be the same.

http://www.davidsongifted.org/db/Articles_id_10782.aspx

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM