Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 437 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    M
    Minichi Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    hi there,

can you tell me how many questions a child needs to tet wrong before they stop the test for stanford binet?

many thanks

Last edited by Administrator; 01/14/15 12:05 PM.
    A
    aeh Online Content
    Online Content
    A
    It depends. The SBV is administered in multiple item sets (hypothetically, up to five or six, but usually more like three), in ten different clusters. Each cluster has independent stopping points that are based on the number of points obtained in that item set. As long as you have obtained the minimum number of points necessary, you proceed to the next item set. Once your points for a set go below a certain number (two), you discontinue that particular cluster (but not the other ones). So it's not really a particular number of items incorrect in a row (which is how the WISC is, and most of the WJ and DAS).

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    M
    Minichi Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    thank you aeh. I still find that very confusing. My son was given the short version of the SB (i think only 2-3 subtests). This is totally embarrassing to admit but there were some matrix reasoning style questions that started off easy and then become so hard that I myself could not tell if my son was getting them correct, however she kept presenting the questions. He seemed confident and thoughtful with each question, he was considering his response and giving clear answers but I serusly didnt know if he was corrector not.

He is only just 6 years old and has been previously been tested on the WPPSi and WJ and has scored in the 99.9 percentile

A
    aeh Online Content
    Online Content
    A
    Sounds like he had the two-subtest brief form, which consists of the two routing tests: vocabulary and matrix reasoning. Those do have a more traditional discontinue rule, which is a number of items incorrect in a row. If she kept going, then I expect he was still getting enough of them right to continue. Great scores, btw!

M
    Minichi Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Thank you, it was quite confusing...for me!!! Can you tell me - with this 2 subtestbrief for, what do they results look like? they obviously dont give a full scale IQ?

I am very interested in seeing how he goes because he is a very 2e (ASD and ADHD) child and Ive heard the SB can be good for these type of kids. Im also interested because he has always got to the end of each subtest on the WPPSI and I assume with this one it would have just kept going and going if he was continuing to get them right??

A
    aeh Online Content
    Online Content
    A
    Actually, you can derive an ABIQ (abbreviated battery IQ) from the two routing subtests. No area scores, though. If the full version of the ABIQ was administered, and not the early childhood version (which I assume was the case, since presumably the tester was aware that he had previously scored in the 99.9th %ile), then you should have been able to obtain a better sense of his ceiling on this, since it is not limited to the seven-year-old level, like the WPPSI. (The WJ cognitive is not limited by age, either.) He had space to continue up into the adult-level items.

M
    Minichi Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    sorry to clarify, he had the Wj achievement tests done not the cognitive ones. S we are yet to see him do an IQ test without a small ceiling. These tests have been done because of his ASD but have proven to give us good information regardling his cognitive abilities. Thank you for your help. I really appreicate it

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent