Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 117 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    K
    KADmom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    So my DH and I approached the middle school counselor to talk to her about the possibility of extra time on timed tests. Background: His WISC IV PSI is four plus standard deviations below his VCI, but low average. The counselor looked at his scores and told us because he's so high in other areas, and because it's not low but only low average, and because his grades are good even after skipping a grade, a 504 would be denied for him even though he has a difficult time with timed tests and tasks. He also won't move on if he doesn't solve an answer and he won't guess. She's a counselor not a school psychologist but she looked at his WISC scores and told us she saw absolutely no learning disability.

So...that's that, I guess.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    As you know, families on this board have had very mixed experiences with special ed, but I would still suggest that you approach this through special ed, instead of general ed (504). There are better protections for parental due process, and, on the average, decision-makers are more educated consumers of evaluation results. School counselors who are not trained as school psychs typically have only one course in graduate school on assessment (assuming they have degrees in school counseling, and not social work, which quite a number of them do instead), and negligible live experience with assessment and its interpretations. Even if he is not qualified into special ed, quite often the outcome of an initial eligibility meeting will be to discuss the appropriateness of/develop a 504. The first part of the meeting, which determines the presence or absence of a qualifying disability, is the same.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    B
    B
    Sorry to hear you didn't get anywhere with school. My DS15 a high school sophomore does have low processing speed similar to your son. (Low average at least 3/4 standard deviations below his top score). I was surprised when I signed his 504 this past fall how easy it would have been to exclude him. If he had been having "discipline" problems they could have excluded him or if he had missed a lot of school. In our case I had an easier time than I expected convincing my school to give him a 504. (This is the school they kept wanting to drop my older daughters IEP) But his teachers were complaining as well as I or I doubt anything would have been done. If you looked at his grades you could also CLEARLY see that particular assignments he would get zero's on while others he would get A'.s His 504 is written up more for his anxiety disorder, depression &a LD for written expression. His low processing speed is seen more as a possible reason for the anxiety and written expression problems than a impairment itself.

My DS does find on math & multiple choice tests. What he has difficulty is with writing prompts and short answer prompts. Clearly you either need to work with him on his test taking skills, either finding a tutor or working with him yourself. Learning how to "skip" questions he doesn't know and mark them to come back to when he has time is a skill he will need to learn even if it doesn't come natural to him.

As far as the 504 goes it really only helps my DS is a few special circumstances. He is allowed more leway on turning particular assignments in late and he is being giving extra time for writing assignments.

Good Luck. Hopefully even without a 504 having this discussion at school will help the teachers understand him better.

Last edited by bluemagic; 01/13/15 08:57 PM.
    P
    P
    Originally Posted by KADmom
    His WISC IV PSI is four plus standard deviations below his VCI, but low average.

My ds' discrepancy in scores on the WISC is very similar, and he's had both an IEP and a 504. We had to advocate like crazy for his initial IEP; once he had the IEP getting the appropriate accommodations for him in the classroom and on testing was "easy" (relatively speaking lol!), and the 504 process was really "easy". The difficult part of the whole thing was being able to get the school staff to understand that ds really *does* have a disability, and also showing the impact on academics of his disability.

The counselor looked at his scores and told us because he's so high in other areas, and because it's not low but only low average, and because his grades are good even after skipping a grade, a 504 would be denied for him

I actually agree with a tiny piece of this - I don't think that if you're only looking at the discrepancy in subtest scores that you have proof that your ds needs a 504. (Please note - I'm not saying your ds doesn't need a 504.. just explaining where the interpretation of the school counselor might be coming from).

504s are given to students who have a disability and need accommodations for that disability in able to fully participate in their academics at school. So to get the 504 plan, you'll need to be able to show how your ds' discrepancy in processing speed relates to an inability to fully participate in his FAPE.

In this case at least one issue is showing his full knowledge on timed tests. This is an issue for my ds also, and he has accommodations for extended time on classroom and standardized tests, and when he was in elementary school he had an accommodation allowing oral response on fluency tests (math facts tests that the school insisted be timed). He's also had and has accommodations such as extended time on writing assignments. When we advocated for those accommodations we used a combination of evidence that he needed the accommodations - some of these might be useful for you in advocating (some of them might be irrelevant, depending on the reason for the relatively low score in processing speed).

1) Discrepancies in WJ-III Achievement test scores and in comparing WJ-III Achievement scores to ds' WISC GAI. When we graphed the achievement subtest scores by response type (oral/untimed vs written/untimed vs written/timed), there was a very obvious pattern that jumped out (in what had previously looked like scores that bounced all over the place): the scores for untimed oral response subtests were approximately in the same range as ds' GAI. The scores for untimed handwritten response were significantly lower, and the scores for handwritten/timed subtests were *really* low compared to ds' GAI.

2) We had statistics on ds' handwriting speed (letters per minute). We were able to get some stats from his school, but we also did some of our own tests at home and I brought those results with me to meetings. Although our school staff tended to always be very confrontational about any type of "assessment" done by parents, they never argued these... because they knew he'd test just as slow if they did the same tests. Anyway, sorry I diverged from the topic for a minute there.

3) DS has a professional diagnosis of a disability. I can't remember if your ds has a diagnosis or not, but this was very useful for us in advocating because our school staff was fond of saying things like "all kids will get better scores if they have extended time" or "all kids get writer's block at one time or another" etc. We would shut those arguments down straight out by remaining calm and simply stating "But we're not here to talk about other kids, and ds has a documented disability." If they questioned the diagnosis as a way of putting us off, we'd reply calmly and simply "Are you questioning the diagnosis of a respected credentialed private professional?"

4) We always brought a brief write-up explaining what our ds' disability was and how it impacted him. We found the explanation of the disability online, but made sure it was taken from a credible source.

5) We had a professional diagnosis. It's extremely powerful to have a few sentences in a professional report that state things such as "The largest obstacle to ds' success is his inability to show his full knowledge when using handwriting" and "DS should use keyboarding or scribing for all written assignments" etc.

even though he has a difficult time with timed tests and tasks. He also won't move on if he doesn't solve an answer and he won't guess.

I'll add something to your to-do list (if you don't already have this info). It's important to get him accommodations for testing, but it's also important to understand as much as you can about what's impacting your ds in both of these ways. It's possible that there might be something you can do beyond accommodating that would be beneficial for your ds.

She's a counselor not a school psychologist but she looked at his WISC scores and told us she saw absolutely no learning disability.

We've heard some really ridiculous comments during team meetings and with the counselors/psychologists/etc that have participated in them. My gut feeling is that the counselor is used to seeing much lower WISC scores. When advocating for our 2e ds both at school and when we worked with private professionals for remediation, we were often told they had never seen ability scores so high. Our neuropsych asked at one point if she could have the name of one of ds' therapists so that she could refer other patients like our ds to her, and the therapist said sure, but with the caveat to me of "you do realize I'm never going to see another kid with scores like this again?"... so anyway, just a thought. The counselor isn't seeing a need or disability because she hasn't seen another kid like your ds. That doesn't mean she's ignorant or can't be convinced, just means she needs more info.

So...that's that, I guess.

So do you mean "that's that" as in you're giving up pursuing accommodations? I'd urge you not to give up!

Hang in there!

polarbear

P
    P
    ps - ita with aeh in recommending you start with an IEP eligibility request.

K
    KADmom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    Thank you so much aeh, bluemagic, and polarbear. You've all given me much to think about. DS doesn't want to stand out or be different so advocating for him must be delicate and sensitive to that. Ai! Such a tightrope I feel I'm on.

Also, I don't think it really bothers ds to not do well on tests. He can't possibly understand the impact low ACTs or SATs will have on his future (though, frankly, I believe he'll succeed and be happy regardless) but he is not the kind of individual who is easily persuaded to do things he doesn't want to do.

The counselor told us she used to work with EC kids and she was very proud of the fact that her kids, using certain strategies and employing certain attitudes and work habits, were more successful in high school and as college freshmen than a lot of the gifted kids. So I could see her bias right up front.

She also mentioned we would need a medical diagnosis. She also said it was getting harder to get 504s because parents in New York (where she's from) have learned to game the system.

Last edited by KADmom; 01/14/15 08:15 AM.
    Well, she's right about that, but wrong that it's merely a localized phenomenon.

It sounds as though your DS might be interested in exploring what he can do without formal accommodations, as well-- so maybe working with someone outside of the school on test-taking and time-management skills in light of the reality of his lower speed at certain tasks would be something that he could do for himself. Do you think his sense of privacy and autonomy is part of the reason he'd prefer to not be identified formally?

BTW, there are privacy expectations that can be written into 504/IEP for individual students. DD also prefers (rather strongly) to never be called out in front of peers-- either for her age, her LOG, or her disability). This is a harder thing for some people to understand and comply with than for others.

If you have a medical/neuropscych reason/label for the issue in play, however, then it becomes a matter of medical privacy, and the law is pretty clear about not revealing those details without the student/parent's explicit permission.

That means that they would be on the hook to provide accommodations that don't identify him.

I'll also add that an IEP is vastly superior to an 504 plan in one other important dimension-- there is a transition planning stage between secondary and college.

You will want to consider what the challenges will be in that post-secondary environment-- exams, note-taking, etc. Both things take a pretty significant jump in expected speed/facility from secondary expectations. Even students who don't have any processing issues can find themselves scrambling to keep up.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    E
    E
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    I'll also add that an IEP is vastly superior to an 504 plan in one other important dimension-- there is a transition planning stage between secondary and college.

While this is true, it is also worth noting that you can keep a 504 plan in college, because the 504 plan is based on discrimination law. Colleges must also not discriminate between disabled and non-disabled students.

An excellent point.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    K
    KADmom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    Thank you HowlerKarma and Elizabeth for your input. I agree, teaching test-taking strategies will be helpful.

Last edited by KADmom; 01/15/15 07:06 AM.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent