Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 337 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    polarbear #208901 01/14/15 08:37 AM
    E
    OP Offline
    E
    Originally Posted by polarbear
    Can I ask why you're having an IEP meeting now, in the middle of the school year? Were you drafting next year's IEP, was the original IEP written in January so this is your one year renewal meeting (our district always did these late in the 2nd semester, which is possibly why I'm confused lol!), or did one of the team members call an IEP update meeting?
    We requested evaluation in October of last year, it was done during November, and they found him eligible for an IEP in December. So our first IEP meeting for him was in January, and his IEP runs January to January, not in line with the school year. This is the one year renewal, but it goes into effect immediately.

Do you have an advocate or is there any type of non-profit in your area that provides legal consults to people with disabilities? We have two groups in our area which will consult with parents at no charge, and the disability law group in particular loves looking at things like this. I'd want to show the copy of the IEP that *you* have and the copy that you were given at this meeting.

I didn't get a copy of the old one at the meeting, just the new draft one. I didn't notice the discrepancy in number of sessions during the meeting, or the push-in/pull-out issue. So this is being handled by email after the meeting.

She told me that she hadn't received any information about him getting "push in" services, and that she didn't see it in last year's IEP. So that caused me to actually pull the old IEP and send it to her, pointing out the difference, when I discovered that not only did she change the type of services unilaterally and without notice, but she dropped one session without telling me.

So is the IEP document she was showing you a *draft* of the new IEP the team needs to write for next year? If that's the case, I can totally envision a situation where the school staff drafts up fewer services than the child needs.

They can't change the IEP that's in place without holding a team meeting to agree on the decision. They can, however, draft the renewal of the IEP for the next year, with whatever they want to put on it (or leave off). NOTE - I am not saying they can write it up however they want to, but if they have called a team meeting and they come into the meeting with an *idea* such as reduce services to one hour, based on their observations/data/etc, then they can draft up the IEP written they way they want it to sound, and it's up to you as the parent advocating to be sure all the services and accommodations your ds needs are included. The IEP is a *group* decision.

Yes, we had a group discussion and consensus about what he needs going forward at his IEP meeting, and the new IEP document (which I approved) does reflect that. That's why I'm not currently planning to make a huge stink about the old one. It's not like they can go back in time and give him more or different services, and the way they are doing it now does seem to be working.

I'm just grumbling about them screwing up.

ElizabethN #208920 01/14/15 11:59 AM
    E
    OP Offline
    E
    I spoke with her on the phone this morning. Her story is that she noticed that he was supposed to be getting time in a general education setting (not special education) in October, but he was doing really well in the setup that they had, so she just started observing him without being right there with him during class and/or recess so she could help if needed.

At this point, I just don't trust her. I think she is just making up stories to try to cover up the fact that she screwed up this fall. I do think that the previous special ed teacher probably didn't provide appropriate notes etc. for her to work off of to know what to do this year, but she also just totally spaced and now is backpedaling with excuses. That said, I do think that she has DS6's best interests at heart. If I didn't, I'd be making a much bigger fuss.

ElizabethN #208923 01/14/15 12:35 PM
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    As long as he gets what he needs now, right?

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    aeh #208948 01/14/15 04:05 PM
    E
    OP Offline
    E
    Originally Posted by aeh
    As long as he gets what he needs now, right?

That's what I keep telling myself.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...