Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 372 guests, and 24 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    M
    M
    My ds 11 sings all the time. He especially sings while doing homework. In 5th grade during our PT Conference all the teachers made comments about the noises he made while working in class. I told them he sings and especially when he needs to stay on task. Some gave me a funny look and some said it is a sign of a happy soul. He is better this year but at home he still sings up a storm. The day he doesn't sing I will wonder whats wrong.

B
    B
    Originally Posted by mecreature
    My ds 11 sings all the time. He especially sings while doing homework. In 5th grade during our PT Conference all the teachers made comments about the noises he made while working in class. I told them he sings and especially when he needs to stay on task. Some gave me a funny look and some said it is a sign of a happy soul. He is better this year but at home he still sings up a storm. The day he doesn't sing I will wonder whats wrong.
    If my son stops singing, making noise while doing homework. It's time to check if he has gone off track. It's when he is totally quite that I know he is not doing homework.

T
    T
    My gifted DS7 does ALL.THE.TIME. sings or hums. But he home-schools so it's not too much of an issue.

I
    I
    There are some practical advantages as an adult as well. I was in an office with two others about a year ago. You know, I sing while I work. Well, one of the ladies in the office pulled me aside and told me that she did not think she could get used to it, so I apologized, and gave up singing in favor of playing an imaginary drum set. A couple of weeks later I was given my own office. I don't know if it was related, but if it was well that is how I got my own office - win.

Last edited by it_is_2day; 12/15/14 08:26 PM.
    T
    T
    I'd really ask first whether it bothers the teacher (solution: get over it!) or the other kids - it's a problem only ifTHEY complain, not if the teacher think it might. If they do, you might want to explore having her move to her own desk, or to the reading corner, or something, as long as they do not put her out into the hallway....

P
    P
    Originally Posted by Tigerle
    I'd really ask first whether it bothers the teacher (solution: get over it!) or the other kids - it's a problem only ifTHEY complain, not if the teacher think it might.

Good advice! I'd add one extra thought: with our friend the at-school hummer, no child ever took note in his first three years of school. Until one (very high-strung) teacher who couldn't stand it began to constantly demand he stop. And *then* the kids did start complaining, but only because the teacher had created an issue and they were responding to her lead.

Fast-forward three more years, and no other teacher has ever complained, and no kids have ever mentioned it again.

So I totally agree it's only an issue if the kids think it's an issue - but even if so, it's also worth making sure they haven't been primed to complain.

C
    C
    My son does this and it drove me nuts until it was explained that he does it to block out other noises and help him concentrate. A classroom environment can be very distracting so it may just be how they concentrate in the chaos. If the teacher doesn't like it, some earplugs may help.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM