Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 312 guests, and 30 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    D
    D
    You might consider talking with an educational advocate who can give you the lay of the land locally.

The school psych can tell you that about the diagnosis-- but it's not a legally correct or defensible position. Getting familiar enough with the law on your own to fight them on this is probably unworkable (unless you just happen to be an attorney). But finding someone with expertise who can guide you can be well worth it. I took that route when the school didn't want to help, and it was very effective for us.

DeeDee

P
    P
    Does he have an ADHD diagnosis? If so EF surely falls under that. Even if not effectively saying he is disorganised, not our problem seems illogical. Disorganised is a symptom or a result not a disorder in itself.

P
    P
    Originally Posted by DeeDee
    Remediation is NOT dependent on diagnosis.

Rather, it is dependent on "academic and functional skills"-- if the child does not have the skills to function well within the school context (includes things like zipping coat as well as things like reading) the school should be working to build those skills.

The testing process should culminate in a meeting where the team assesses the academic and functional needs, looking at strengths and weaknesses. It is important that the document that comes out of that meeting make clear exactly what is not working, including EF issues. Make sure every problem is documented, preferably with data and work samples. (Quotes from teacher email can also be useful here.)

Then the next step is to determine what services or supports are needed, based on the list of needs. It is the needs, NOT the diagnosis, that determines the services/supports.

HTH
    DeeDee

ITA with DeeDee, also ITA re seeking the advice of a local advocate.

One thing I'd do in prep for the meeting is to think through as much as *you* can, what accommodations and remediation does your ds need in the classroom to be successful? Don't focus on his diagnoses, focus on his educational needs. Make a list of the accommodations/remediation you think he needs, try to double-check it against what seems reasonable (i.e., you might find a list of typical accommodations under your school district's SPED policy, or your state department of ed website, or by looking on the web for lists that go with specific types of disabilities and challenges). Find examples from your ds' school history (classwork, behavior reports, whatever) that document the challenge, and have a suggestion for how to deal with it.

They've already said he will qualify for an IEP under SLD. That doesn't mean they can't slip in an accommodation for an EF issue - and you might find that simply asking for something that is typical will be a lot easier than slogging through what he really needs for the writing issues if it's something atypical that you're asking for. I think you might also find that a lot of accommodations for EF issues are very very typical accommodations (at least they are in our school district!).

And absolutely, if you have a local parents advocate group - use them! Having advice from an advocate who not only understands the law as well as local school district policy, but also most likely knows ins and outs specific to personalities in your school district, will be very *very* helpful.

Best wishes,

polarbear

[/quote]

J
    OP Offline
    J
    DeeDee, I have been working with the parent advocate with the state and aeh on here has helped me get DS13 retested. I think most of the time the district tries to shortcut as much as possible to make less work for themselves. They know I am a fighter though.

Puffin, yes he does have an ADHD diagnosis. The district does not want to deal with it and only think they can help with his writing difficulties. It isn't just the disorganization piece either, he is below normal across the board with the EFD. It is so frustrating!

J
    OP Offline
    J
    Polar bear, I am making a list right now of his strengths and weaknesses with recommendations in the state laws for each one. I am very hopeful that works.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM