Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 312 guests, and 30 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    J
    OP Offline
    J
    I posted last year about DS13's questionable results and aeh helped me out a great deal on the direction I needed to go. Here is a link to the original thread for the back story:
    http://giftedissues.davidsongifted....ssistance_With_WJIII_for.html#Post197352

I finally received a copy of the results from his latest round of testing completed October 2014. I am hopeful you guys can help explain any discrepancies you may see or if the plan the school wishes to follow is good to go. Just for clarification my DS9 is my gifted child. My DS13, while very bright, is not gifted but he does have a lot of difficulty in the classroom.

WISC IV
    CS % Subtest Stand Score

FSIQ 104 61

VCI 102 55
    Similarities 12
    Vocabulary 11
    Comprehension 9

PRI 104 61
    Block Design 12
    Picture Concep 11
    Matrix Reas 9

WMI 104 61
    Digit Span 4
    Let-Num Seq 11
    Arithmetic 11

PSI 97 42
    Coding 11
    Symbol Search 8
    Cancellation 12

WJIII Cognitive
    Standard Score
    GIA 110
    Verbal Comp 104
    Vid-Aud Learn 96
    Spatial Relat 96
    Sound Blending 125
    Concept Form 113
    Visual Matching 86
    Numbers Reversed 109
    Subtests:
    Incomplete Words 120
    Aud Work Memory 101
    General Info 99
    Retrieval Fluenc 97
    Picture Recog 89
    Aud Attention 107
    Decision Speed 88
    Memory for Words 105
    Rapid Pic Naming 90
    Planning 109
    Pair Cancel 97

WJIII Achievement
    Standard Score

Basic Read Skill 107
    Letter-Word ID 101
    Word Attack 112

Reading Comp 97
    Passage Comp 88
    Reading Vocab 107

Math Calc Skills 108
    Calculation 109
    Math Fluency 105

Math Reasoning 112
    Applied Prob 107
    Quant Concepts 117

Written Express 123
    Writing Fluen 124
    Writing Sample 114

Reading Fluency 121
    Spelling 105

KTEAII
    Written Expression 82

CEFI
    Standard Score
    Full Scale Score 71
    Initiation 66
    Planning 68
    Self-Monitoring 67
    Flexibility 70
    Inhibit Control 78
    Organization 77
    Working Memory 76
    Attention 82
    Emotional Regul 89

Professional Judgement:
    XX's SS of 82 on the Written Expressions scale from the KTEA II was one standard deviation lower than his lowest cluster SS earned on any of the five academic domains assessed by the WJIII Ach., Form A. This reality, in concert with his relatively low SS earned on the WJIII Cog scales of Visual Matching (86) and Decision Speed (88) supported the existence of a functional but particular learning disability that merits specially designed instruction.

So, if anyone can help me make sense of this before our IEP meeting next Monday that would be amazing. He qualified for an IEP based on a Specific Learning Disability for writing.

Last edited by jaggirl47; 01/05/15 04:55 PM.
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    This is by the district psychologist, yes?

His cognitive scores range from Low Average to Superior, with a fair amount of variation, both between and within areas. The profile of the WJIII appears generally similar to his previous WJ, although most of the scores are slightly lower. The WISC results are surprisingly flat, except for that low digit span score. The WJ continues to show strengths in basic phonological processing and inductive reasoning--the former is consistent with his strong word attack skills, and the latter is consistent with the most closely related tasks on the WISC (similarities, picture concepts).

All the lowest cognitive scores (except for digit span, which I will get to a little later) are also the same task-type: WISC-IV Symbol Search, WJIII Visual Matching & Decision Speed. Scan, match, cross-off, row by row. In the first two, you scan for visually-identical symbols. In the last one, you find conceptually-related images. Cancellation involves visual search and cross-off in a large field, but no matching/visual discrim. Writing and math fluency are self-generated (no searching, and limited tracking), with a fairly low threshold of accuracy on writing fluency. So, to summarize, visual-motor speed is an issue when visual scanning/tracking and search across rows are involved. Not so much in mixed measures with retrieval efficiency. I would use visual frames, limited visual fields, reduced items per page, and tracking supports (a bookmark under the line being read, a blank sheet of paper covering up the next test items, proctor checking in during standardized testing, to make sure the bubbles are being filled in for the correct items, answers recorded directly in test booklet). Was his visual tracking ever checked?

Writing is good when it is short and well-defined (WJIII). Extended writing in applied contexts is substantially weaker (KTEAII). One can see how this happens by turning to the results of the CEFI, which notes significant executive dysfunctions in initiation, planning, and self-monitoring, and lesser weaknesses in flexibility, inhibition, organization, and working memory. Initiation and planning, in particular, as well as organization and working memory, are particularly important in inferential comprehension of lengthier reading selections, and in generating extended writing products. Those two skills together will become increasingly important as he moves into high school English classes, where much of the writing consists of literary analysis. Self-monitoring and inhibition probably have something to do with the poor applied spelling skills you observe, especially when contrasted with his decent on-demand spelling in isolation. This profile is extremely common in high-functioning students with ADHD, and often emerges in middle or high school, when extended writing starts to become an expectation across the curriculum. He'll need pre-writing discussions, organizational and idea generation supports (graphic organizers, outlines, writing prompts--preferably with sentence starters, explicitly-drawn personal connections to writing topics).

Was digit span uniformly low, or was reversed higher or lower than forward? I notice the two related tasks on the WJ were solidly Average.

One of the reasons working memory is important to extended writing is because most people do not plan their entire written product out in detail on paper prior to beginning to write. Certain details and aspects of the structure are in our heads, held there in working memory until the time comes to put them on paper. If one's mental scratch paper is not large enough or stable enough, this system will be inefficient. In order to write smooth sequences and connections between thoughts, you have to remember what the overall arc of the thoughts is. This issue is, of course, why paper was invented. wink In his case, he may benefit from audio recording his ideas, or using speech-to-text, before beginning to write, so that he doesn't lose them on the way from head to paper. Then he can write or type them down from his recording, sequence, organize, and expand them, make any other revisions or corrections necessary, and finally begin his finished product.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    J
    OP Offline
    J
    This was done by the district with a different psychologist from his initial.

He had his visual tracking done in October and the developmental optometrist stated his tracking would begin very good and then he would jump back and forth. Here are his results from that:

Measurement Left Right Grade Norm Goal Grade Level

Fixations/100 words 158 158 114 <77 3.0
    Regressions/100 words 22 22 23 <11 7.6
    Avg Span of Recog 0.63 0.63 0.88 >1.30 3.0
    Avg Duration of Fix 0.20 0.20 0.27 <0.23 18

Reading Rate (wpm) 187 195 >312 6.3
    Direction Att Diff 14% 20% <14% 14

Grade Level Efficiency (GLE) 4.6
    Cross Correlation 99%
    Lines Found vs Compatible Lines 10/9

The D.O. stated that his visual profile fits with a dyslexic but he is unable to diagnose. I have been waiting for these new results to come back so I can send them to his outside psychologist for further testing where recommended.

The school psychologist informed me that while DS13 has a severe Executive Function Disorder, the school does not have a responsibility to remediate for that.

With his writing assignments, he can write very well when given direct instruction on exactly what to write about-so long as it's a short assignment. Open ended? Yeah, huge fight. I normally have to assist him in getting paragraphs started or he sits there for hours.

For digit span his reverse was much lower, even on the initial assessment.

By high functioning students with ADHD, what exactly does that mean? I just want to make sure I get a proper understanding for when I write out my questions to ask.

He did get a tablet/workbook for Christmas this year with the thought that it can be used. It has the capabilities of a laptop, to include the ability to download Dragon software. The psychologist did tell me he is eligible for tablet use with his IEP. He does tend to keyboard better than write.

Last edited by jaggirl47; 01/05/15 10:18 PM.
    J
    OP Offline
    J
    I also don't know if this will make any difference in thoughts but he does play violin, trombone, and percussion. He is teaching himself how to play piano. He reads music for the former 3 but plays by ear for piano. He is also excellent at drawing but prefers doodling over formal instruction. I have also never seen a video game that he has been unable to beat. He wants to design video games for a career.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Interesting that his DSB was weak both times he has been evaluated, yet his Number Reversed score on the WJ is quite average. I wonder if it has something to do with his weaknesses in flexibility and cognitive switching. He might be struggling with the change from repeating the numbers forwards to repeating them backwards.

J
    OP Offline
    J
    Is that something I should bring up at the meeting on Monday?

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    The associated recommendation would be to make sure to prepare him for changes in task demands or routine, and when transitioning from one classroom task to another. (E.g., "you have 15 minutes to answer these comprehension questions...you have five minutes to finish the questions, then we will be moving on to our vocabulary worksheet...in one minute, I'd like you to take out your vocabulary worksheets...) Allow him additional time to settle into a new task, and maybe an extra example/guided practice or two.

J
    OP Offline
    J
    For the EFD, are you familiar with anything as far as requirements for IEP? The school feels they only have to recognize the writing issues, not the EFD.

D
    D
    Remediation is NOT dependent on diagnosis.

Rather, it is dependent on "academic and functional skills"-- if the child does not have the skills to function well within the school context (includes things like zipping coat as well as things like reading) the school should be working to build those skills.

The testing process should culminate in a meeting where the team assesses the academic and functional needs, looking at strengths and weaknesses. It is important that the document that comes out of that meeting make clear exactly what is not working, including EF issues. Make sure every problem is documented, preferably with data and work samples. (Quotes from teacher email can also be useful here.)

Then the next step is to determine what services or supports are needed, based on the list of needs. It is the needs, NOT the diagnosis, that determines the services/supports.

HTH
    DeeDee

J
    OP Offline
    J
    Unfortunately they have told me that if the needs fall under the EFD diagnosis, they do not have to remediate it. I joined an EFD group and they linked me to a page that I have to go through this weekend, hopefully to link remediation to his IEP. I just really hate how schools cut corners so much.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM