Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 309 guests, and 8 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    B
    OP Offline
    B
    Differentiation Doesn't Work
    by James R. Delisle
    Education Week
    January 7, 2015
    Starting with the gifted-education community in the late 1960s, differentiation didn't get its mojo going until regular educators jumped onto the bandwagon in the 1980s. By my count, the Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development (now known simply as ASCD) has released more than 600 publications on differentiation, and countless publishers have followed suit with manuals and software that will turn every classroom into a differentiated one.

There's only one problem: Differentiation is a failure, a farce, and the ultimate educational joke played on countless educators and students.

In theory, differentiation sounds great, as it takes several important factors of student learning into account:
    • It seeks to determine what students already know and what they still need to learn.
    • It allows students to demonstrate what they know through multiple methods.
    • It encourages students and teachers to add depth and complexity to the learning/teaching process.

Sounds wonderful, doesn't it? The problem is this: Although fine in theory, differentiation in practice is harder to implement in a heterogeneous classroom than it is to juggle with one arm tied behind your back.

Case in point: In a winter 2011 Education Next article, the Thomas B. Fordham Institute's Michael Petrilli wrote about a University of Virginia study of differentiated instruction: "Teachers were provided with extensive professional development and ongoing coaching. Three years later the researchers wanted to know if the program had an impact on student learning. But they were stumped. 'We couldn't answer the question ... because no one was actually differentiating,' " the researcher, Holly Hertberg-Davis, told Petrilli.
    A recent book by Delisle is "Dumbing Down America: The War on Our Nation's Brightest Young Minds".

Exactly.

Differentiation might work. If it could be sustained by educators for any length of time, that is. It can't.

Not when one takes into account all of the other pressures on K through 12 educators in classrooms, that is.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    M
    M
    ugh - this is what I'm dreading come May. In NZ whenever you meet a teacher (or DD meets one) and they are everywhere, we get oh I wouldn't worry about her, we are trained in differentiation.

Great can't wait to see what that means. Personally having met a few of my DD's future classmates who vary from not so very diff to her all the way to really might need to attend special school instead - I fail to see how even the most talented of teachers can be expected to meet everyone's needs. I don't nec think it's a teacher problem so much as a system problem.

One little boy who starts the same week as DD has the vocab of my DS2, how can the teacher be expected to cater to my DD when this little boy is soooo far behind?

I think this conclusion rings true to anybody who has tried to seek out differentiation for their child. I have a feeling teachers - in moments when they could be frank - would likewise say that differentiation is a fraud.

As I've said in another thread, I volunteered to be on our school's "Site Council," a group that purports to put together the curriculum plan for the school. We are required to adopt a number of goals that can be assessed at the end of year by objective data.

The council is composed of the principal, the PTA president (who is a bubble-head) and an equal number of teachers and parents. As the planning evolved it became clear to me that there were several other parents on the council who joined for the very same reason I did. They wanted better support for their gifted children.

The goals being proposed by the principal and the PTA president were EXCLUSIVELY focused on bringing low-achieving students up to grade level. The other parents and I proposed multiple revisions that would loop in support for high achieving and gifted kids. The proposals were rejected in every single form. Even very small suggestions. For example, the math goal was stated as [something like] "reduce the number of below-grade achievers to some X percent of students." We suggested an add-on that said "and have at least X percent of all students make at least one year of progress in the math curriculum."

Now let me be clear - this is an elementary school in the very heart of Silicon Valley. High expectations are a default around here, and "high" is very high indeed. In fact, suicides at our uber competitive high school show that the high expectations are problematic in themselves. That's a whole other discussion. But my point is, this is hardly a community that would balk at goals focused on the top end of the bell curve. Especially since every parent around here thinks his/her kid is at that top end! wink

And in fact, having worked closely with the teachers and the principal, I believe they are very good educators, truly committed to teaching every student. They honestly try hard.
    But this only serves to emphasize that differentiation in the classroom cannot work. If it could have, it would have here.

In case I haven't made the point clearly enough "differentiation" is a word tossed out as a bone to parents of gifted kids, as a shield so schools can claim they are helping our bright children, and as a tiny bandage on the damage done by denying access to gifted programs and tracking that would make them possible. Believe me, I'll keep plugging away on the Site Council. But I have no expectation of success.

And so in our family, the motto remains "Differentiation begins at home." Thus, this afternoon, we will be building the Lego Trevi fountain, researching how it worked in the days when there were no electric pumps, and figuring out why it is a sculpture of Oceanus rather than Poseidon (which made DS7 quite annoyed when he noticed it last night!).

Thank heavens for this community - where I learn over and over - it's not just me. I'm not crazy!

Sue

U
    U
    To be fair, DS6's teacher is trying very hard to differentiate for him. Basically, he's not really doing very much of the regular curriculum any more at all, and is doing independent work a lot of the time. The whole thing is sort of a wacky balacning act, though. I feel very lucky, but I'm also aware that she's going out of her way from kindness, that she is unusual and special, and that the school probably would not like what she is doing. He still isn't getting the kind of planned program of instruction or actual teaching the rest of the class does.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by spaghetti - 05/14/24 08:14 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years