Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 420 guests, and 40 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    K
    OP Offline
    K
    I've noticed a problematic trend with my 3 yr old daughter. She is starting to "lie" to adults. I put the word in quotes because these aren't typical children's lies. Instead, I suspect she is attempting to manipulate some of the adults in her life (the ones who don't realize she is capable of doing this -- not myself or my husband).

I work full-time and she has a nanny. Part of the time, I work from my home office, so I can hear their interaction but I'm out of sight. I frequently hear her say things that aren't true to her nanny. Specifically, she will tell the nanny she doesn't know information or skills that she does know. This is a new nanny who's only been with us a couple of months. She was a preschool teacher and she's been pretty good about keeping our daughter mentally stimulated, but she really doesn't "get" our daughter (no experience with gifted kids). So I will frequently hear her try to introduce a topic to our daughter and our daughter will "play dumb," as if she knows nothing about the topic. I tried to warn the nanny about this trend, so the nanny now asks, "Have you ever... (played this game, learned anything about this topic, etc.)" But our daughter, if she doesn't want to play the game or learn about the topic, will directly lie to the nanny and say no, even if she was just playing the game or discussing the topic with me in the morning.

I'm worried because we want to put my daughter in preschool -- we have a place on the waiting list at a great montessori school for once my daughter decides to potty train -- and I can envision her "playing dumb" for her teacher and then becoming a behavior problem in the classroom because she's bored (she does not handle boredom well).

Anyone seen anything like this? Any advice? We've had the usual conversations about telling the truth, even if it's something she thinks the adult doesn't want to hear, and I've encouraged her to find alternate ways to tell the nanny if she does know about a topic and just doesn't want to discuss it at that time. She's been pretty protected up to this point, so I don't think she's gotten any negative messages about being smart. I'm not sure why she's taking this approach, and I'd love to help her find a better way to handle things.

D
    D
    Originally Posted by kimhaynes
    I work full-time and she has a nanny. Part of the time, I work from my home office, so I can hear their interaction but I'm out of sight. I frequently hear her say things that aren't true to her nanny. Specifically, she will tell the nanny she doesn't know information or skills that she does know. This is a new nanny who's only been with us a couple of months. She was a preschool teacher and she's been pretty good about keeping our daughter mentally stimulated, but she really doesn't "get" our daughter (no experience with gifted kids). So I will frequently hear her try to introduce a topic to our daughter and our daughter will "play dumb," as if she knows nothing about the topic. I tried to warn the nanny about this trend, so the nanny now asks, "Have you ever... (played this game, learned anything about this topic, etc.)" But our daughter, if she doesn't want to play the game or learn about the topic, will directly lie to the nanny and say no, even if she was just playing the game or discussing the topic with me in the morning.

Anyone seen anything like this? Any advice?

I'd say this is probably just social experimentation. The child is sorting out who knows what by testing whether the nanny knows what you know.

At that age, the nanny could let it go by saying "I'm skeptical of that." Letting DD know she knows, but not making a big deal. Our kids *loved* this kind of conversation at that age--precisely because it was so informative about what other people thought, and also funny.

I don't know if you have set academic goals for this time, but I'd say it's OK for your DD to try to lead the conversation, too. If it's child-led much of the time, she may not feel like she needs to control the adult brains around her.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by spaghetti - 05/14/24 08:14 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years