Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 441 guests, and 9 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #207745 12/15/14 10:57 AM
    Barbus Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I was thinking of getting our DS6 a chess set for Christmas. Easy, right? I didn't realize all of the different variations and jargon associated with the set. We're not looking to spend $50+ right now. We just need a good chess set that would help him to transition into tournament play (if he chooses to go that far). This doesn't need to be a display piece, just functional.

Some potential considerations:
    • Is silicone better than vinyl for board surfaces? Should I look at wood instead?
    • Single, double or triple weighted?
    • What is a good board size? 20"?
    • Is there a preferred vendor or brand of chess sets?
    • Storage/travel bag or no bag? If yes, then which style do you prefer? Archer/quivver, standard, case, etc.?
    • Am I totally overthinking this?

Is your son already playing? Do you have a set at home already and this will be his own?

My DS7 started playing using the dinged up old plastic set at his school's after care program. Since he seemed to enjoy it (and so we could get a break from incessant requests to play Magic the Gathering with him), we bought one at home. I think it cost $15 at Barnes and Noble and came with a little booklet to remind us of the rules. It has a glass board and glass pieces with felt on the bottom so they feel nice when they slide. The board is about 12" square. He's perfectly happy with it, and it looks sort of pretty on our coffee table.

I don't know what the weighting is all about or the archer/quiver thing. But they sound a bit too complicated for a beginner. Maybe you're past that though. If so, I hope others give you a more useful answer!

Sue

Barbus Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Sue, he's been learning online and through apps, but we don't have a physical set. This will likely be the only set we'll have for a while. Thanks for the input!

S
    S
    The first set I got for my DS was a little wooden travel set with pieces a little over 1" high. It was great but we had to Sharpie on the rank and file labels and his little hands often knocked over the pieces. I think it was last Christmas that I went in for a proper set with full-size weighted pieces. I didn't want an expensive or difficult to store board so I got a vinyl one. I ended up with one of the club sets on this page: http://www.chesshouse.com/club_chess_sets_s/162.htm and I think I ended up choosing the Heavy one because of the tipping issue.

They have turned out to be great pieces for little hands and a nice setup for throwing together a tactics puzzle to work out on the dining table. smile It's nice to have the bag to store everything in and we've carried it with us on road trips. We aren't in a club or tournament play at this point.

C
    C
    Ditto on the chesshouse suggestions. They are reasonably priced and regulation size. If your child ends up playing much, having one of these is convenient, assuming you get the carrying case. Ours is fabric and has a shoulder strap.

P
    P
    99% of the kids playing at chess tournaments have this set http://www.uscfsales.com/chess-sets...-pieces-vinyl-chessboard-deluxe-bag.html
    You can get single-weighted, if you are afraid that this one is too heavy (and it probably is for a 6yo chess player).
    You definitely don't need something more expensive now, but later, if you'll decide to go to a tournament, you'll have to invest in a good chess clock.

U
    U
    We have the one Porosenok linked to (minue the fancy carry bag--ours has a much cheaper bag) and I recommend it completely. We had a cheapo one and it was no good--pieces always tipping and you need ranks and files labeled if you get into it at all.

U
    U
    FWIW, we don't have a chess clock and haven't needed it at yet at tournaments. DS has been able to borrow one if and when one became necessary. YMMV.

R
    R
    All the above sets look fine... We got a ChessCentral triple weighted, double foldable set off Amazon... http://www.amazon.com/School-Deluxe-Triple-Weighted-Pieces-Folding/dp/B004YP1CB8/ Shipping was cheaper when we got it. Other version have free/Prime shipping now.

DS doesn't play tournaments and doesn't need ultra-portable. We found the rollable, silicone, mousepad, etc boards to all be wrinkly, rough, or otherwise bothersome. The foldable vinyl boards were the best option. After a year or so it matters much less. I think any of the quality boards would work fine now, but starting out a completely flat, smooth board with quality pieces was a huge plus.

U
    U
    Oh, I see what you mean by quiver now. Yeah, I would get this.

http://www.uscfsales.com/gift-ideas...-pieces-vinyl-chessboard-quiver-bag.html

Our board is out a lot of the time so doesn't get too curly.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM