Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 312 guests, and 22 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    S
    Sjf Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    ds is in 3rd grade in a dual-language magnet school (spanish-english). He has been receiving the in-school gifted services since K, and our school district offers an accelerated learning program for highly gifted kids (a differentiated school) beginning in 4th.

ds qualifies for the gifted school and it is up to us to decide whether or not we want him to go there for 4th and beyond.

The school is about as far away from us as possible within our school district. It's not exactly convenient. We have a younger child who could be moved to the same school but would then lose the spot in dual language.

He's bright, he's bored, he's a bit disruptive. Honestly, I can't imagine him not being bored in school - he just thinks quickly and gets ahead of things. But maybe this would be fixed by the separate gifted program?

he's also not especially concerned with achievement. And this gifted program is known for being a mix of naturally bright kids and hardworking, slightly less bright kids (cutoff is 97th). Would he fall behind or disengage if not as "motivated" as the other kids?

He has the IQ, but there's a lot more to school fit than just test scores. How can I figure out if this is a good move for him? or not?

Are differentiated gifted classrooms always a good choice?
    And does anyone have any experience, good or bad, with placing a child in a program for gifted kids?
    thanks for any answers.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by Sjf
    Each experience depends on the teacher, the child, the mix of kids in the group, as much as on the curriculum and pacing.

Two resources which pose questions for considering a learning environment:
    1- Davidson database article: Choosing the right school for your gifted child
    2- Center for Creative Learning: Dear School People, 25 tough questions which are more important than, "Is my child in the gifted program?"

B
    B
    These challenges (snark, slacking, rudeness, not wanting to do boring work) are all, IMO, exacerbated by being gifted. It was our experience that having the hardworking kids around our bright procrastinator was extremely helpful for teaching her how to organize and prioritize. The bright, hardworking kids were excellent role models and did not give positive social feedback for snarky slacking.

Back to your actual questions!
    The links from Indigo are good ones and the questions on the sites are spot on. If at all possible, I'd go and observe the class your DS would be in. Look at the textbooks (snap a quick photo of the cover of the math, reading, & language arts books so you can research them online), talk to the teacher, see if there are any parent groups that you can talk to. If it seems fine to you, I'd then arrange a visit or shadow day for your DS. If he buys into it and wants to go that can really enhance his experience as a student.

If he goes to the gifted program and it does not work out, what are the options?

From your previous posts it does not sound as though your DS's current situation is working well for him…the gifted program may or may not "solve" everything, but if you think it is a good fit right now it will probably improve things for a while. Our experience has been that every year new solutions are needed and new focus in one area can compensate for boredom in another.

The other aspect to this is friends and peers. Does your DS have at least one good friend now? Is he invited to birthday parties, play dates, or outings? If not, that would make me consider moving him more strongly. In 3rd grade most kids still have very fluid friendships (IMO) and can make new friends in a new class --perhaps on their own, perhaps with scaffolding from parents.

P
    P
    You've already been given excellent advice above - I'll add a few more things to consider.

Have you talked to his current school about differentiation/subject acceleration or a full grade acceleration?

What value do you place on acquiring fluency in Spanish? or is your family bilingual with a parent or other person in the household who is a native Spanish speaker?

How does the immersion program work once students reach middle and high school?

Originally Posted by Sjf
    The school is about as far away from us as possible within our school district. It's not exactly convenient.

I would give this a *lot* of thought. We've been in a situation where we had to drive our kids across town to school - and it was the right choice for school - but it had a huge impact on our daily lives. We eventually moved to a school much closer to home and the benefits were immediate, and so much more solid that I could have imagined, both for my kids and for myself. The things that you need to consider are the impact on your time, your children's time (riding in the car back and forth) as well as ease of participating in after-school programs, sharing rides with other kids/parents and scheduling playdates with fellow students etc.

He's bright, he's bored, he's a bit disruptive. Honestly, I can't imagine him not being bored in school - he just thinks quickly and gets ahead of things. But maybe this would be fixed by the separate gifted program?

This really might be different in the gifted program. Can he try out the program for a few days or a week?

he's also not especially concerned with achievement. And this gifted program is known for being a mix of naturally bright kids and hardworking, slightly less bright kids (cutoff is 97th). Would he fall behind or disengage if not as "motivated" as the other kids?

I would also consider - what are the teacher's expectations for work in the gifted program? I wouldn't be dismissive of the other abilities in a classroom where the cut-off is 97th percentile - testing is not without error bars, and 97th percentile is quite aways above the average ability in a typical mixed-ability classroom. With a classroom full of high-ability students, the teacher's expectations for quantity and quality of work will most likely go up considerably from a mixed-ability classroom. That *could* mean a student who isn't motivated by traditional ideas of achievement doesn't enjoy the program or perform as a top-level student in the program, or it could mean that a previously non-motivated high ability student finds their inner motivation and suddenly becomes a high-achiever. There's really no way to completely predict how any child will do in any classroom until that child is in the classroom. You just have to go with your gut feeling once you've collected all the data you can smile

He has the IQ, but there's a lot more to school fit than just test scores. How can I figure out if this is a good move for him? or not?

Talk to as many other parents as you can. Try to find parents that you can get a feel for whether or not you trust their opinion too! Talk to the teachers. Let your ds spend a day or a week or however long he can trying out the school. Ask specific questions about the school curriculum. Ask if you can observe a class. Get as much info from as many sources as you can.

And does anyone have any experience, good or bad, with placing a child in a program for gifted kids?
    thanks for any answers.

This really *really* depends on the program's setup, curriculum, goals, the teachers, the mix of students (not just ability but personality), the flexibility of the program etc. There is no way to know if my experience, for example, will be the same as yours in a different location/school/time etc.

Best wishes,

polarbear

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years