Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 395 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    L
    Labmom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    My daughter is only 11, but I am already obsessing about high school and what her options will be. We have zero schools in our immediate area that will be a good fit for her. Has any one either contemplated moving or moved temporarily to have their child attend a school? We love our house and where we live, so it would definitely be temporary with visits home for long weekends or breaks. My husband and I both do consulting work, so we can be anywhere as long as we have technology by our side. If you've done this how did it work for your family?

P
    P
    We moved (permanently) 2 summers ago to a bigger city 60 miles away for a better school. I work at the same place so my commute each way is about 75 minutes. My DW is SAHM.

So far, we believe we made the right choice. We may move back to the old neighborhood when the kids head to college.

Having read far too many horror stories here and elsewhere about schools that looked good but turned out to be horrible, I think that I would rent first :-)

Last edited by madeinuk; 12/04/14 04:26 PM.

Become what you are
    L
    Labmom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    Oh, absolutely rent, as we would not plan on making it long term, and we would still return "home" as often as possible. I never thought educating my child would be such a difficult process.

Q
    Q
    Not at all. I am willing to consider moving in the next couple of years in time for high school although that would not be the only reason. However, I am currently spending a lot of time transporting DS/DD to/from middle school.

T
    T
    Well, if I had a pg kid and could move absolutely anywhere, I'd give Reno, Nevada, very serious consideration...as it is, one of the reasons we shall be moving from the rural suburbs into the city is better access to educational options for the kids, but it's by no means the only reason. I think it is just very rare that one could move for a school without having to put professional or financial considerations first, but if you could, why not? Happy kids, happy family.

Last edited by Tigerle; 12/05/14 03:56 AM.
    There are at least a few students who have moved to our town to attend the school my kids go to. Not crazy. Clearly, do your homework to ensure it truly is a good fit - and if it is an option - go for it.

C
    C
    We are considering it -- it would have to be tied to a job transfer or job change. The trick is knowing that you're moving somewhere your child would be admitted to said school and thrive. When I think too hard about that, it makes homeschooling look very attractive, but we have a child who loves school for the friends part above all. Some of this may depend on how his younger brother develops -- he'll start school in the fall and although he's not at the level his brother was at this age, he is clearly very bright (and hasn't been in an environment during the day like his brother was, Montessori without any limits on what he could learn).

If we did not have a good neighboring school district and a friendly open enrollment system, we'd probably have moved. Not crazy at all, in my opinion.

Best of luck,
    --S.F.

For gifted children, doing nothing is the wrong choice.
    C
    C
    ITA not crazy at all if there is a good chance the new school will be substantially better.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:25 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:14 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM