Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 417 guests, and 45 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    And, obviously, I should have read through your correction to your post, too! smile

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    Z
    Z
    If the normal curve equivalent is reported from the normative data and the national percentile ranking is derived from the current data set, they could be significantly different beyond the mappings that aeh gave.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    They are usually derived from the same standardization set. But, of course, that may differ depending on the instrument, and even the school system, as some use local norms for the percentiles. That would be a good place to begin asking questions, in the event that the NCE and %ile do not line up as they would be expected to in a normal distribution.

B
    OP Offline
    B
    After looking at the linked visual (thanks!), I understand it now. I'm just not sure how that information is useful. I think they are assuming a normal curve when maybe it's not. Her reading score percentile was 95th and NCE was 85th which matches up with the visual, but maybe in our school district 10 percent of kids are in the top 5th percentile nationally (who knows!). It would be more useful to have THAT info. When they qualify kids for gifted programming they are using national percentile rankings which need to be about 95-98th percentile (depending on the program), but I wonder how many kids from the district fit into that.

P
    P
    blackcat, the NCE is not a percentile, so your DDs NCE is an 85, not the 85th percentile. The NCE score of 85 is mathematically equivalent to the 95th percentile. As aeh stated, the NCE score uses a normal distribution with a mean of 50 and a standard deviation of 21.063. So, an NCE of 85 is 35 points above the mean of 50 (85-50 = 35). Therefore, a score of 85 is 35/21.063 = 1.662 standard deviations above the mean. A standard score of 1.662 standard deviation above the mean of a normal distribution IS the 95.2 percentile. So an NCE of 85 is mathematically equivalent to the 95th percentile. This is the same idea as a WISC score of 125 is equivalent to the 95th percentile (since WISC scores have a mean of 100 and a standard deviation of 15).

Hope this helps and doesn't confuse the matter even more smile

B
    OP Offline
    B
    I understand (and understood when I saw the visual), I shouldn't have said 85th in my last post, just "85" or "a score of 85". At first when I saw that report I thought maybe it meant that she was at the 85th percentile compared to other kids in the district. I think it would be really helpful if they included that info. There is a "district average" on the report but it is on a tiny graph with no actual numbers. District average looks like it's slightly above the national average.

P
    P
    I wonder what the purpose is of providing such confusing information.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    The NCE is supposed to facilitate comparisons across instruments and across multiple administrations.

I agree that it often would be more helpful to provide local percentiles, in addition to national percentiles. That's usually an option, sometimes for an additional cost per student record.

Q
    Q
    FWIW, I think that NCE is also more meaningful than national percentiles, particularly if you are dealing with the tails of the distribution. In a similar sense, that local norm provides far more practical information, especially if it is local to your school rather than the district.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM