Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 133 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    MegMeg Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I'm pretty picky about what I let DD6 watch, but we've both been happy with Wild Kratts. It's funny and silly but also has a lot of genuinely interesting information. Now that she's watched them all, we're looking for something else. Doesn't have to be about animals, just educational, and entertaining for her.

Most other shows we've found just aren't as good. Magic Schoolbus, for example, is much more simplistic. Any suggestions?

A
    aeh Online Content
    Online Content
    A
    Digging back in my memory...I think the same one of my kids who liked the Wild Kratts also liked Zoboomafoo.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    B
    B
    Originally Posted by aeh
    Digging back in my memory...I think the same one of my kids who liked the Wild Kratts also liked Zoboomafoo.
    My son LOVED Zoboomafoo but I'm not sure it's was any more deep than Magic School Bus. The Krack brother's who were the stars of Zoboomafoo, made some video's in later years that were more animal documentary's. And I do remember my DS enjoying them.

Opps.. it's the Kratt brothers and I suppose the Wild Kratts is the documentaries I was talking about.

Second correction. The wild Kratts is not the documentaries I'm talking about but I don't have the time to track them down right now.

Last edited by bluemagic; 12/03/14 10:50 AM.
    We loved the Toy Stories series from BBC. In it, the narrator (James May) leads teams through massive construction projects using toy building products. E.g., a real house made completely of Lego, a motorcycle made from Mechano (looks exactly like Erector Sets), a 2-mile slot car race track that followed the course of a no-longer existing British race track.

These are available through Amazon Instant video. And yes - James May is a Top Gear guy. I'm sort of on a Top Gear tear this morning (see my other post).

A
    aeh Online Content
    Online Content
    A
    Originally Posted by suevv
    E.g., a real house made completely of Lego, a motorcycle made from Mechano (looks exactly like Erector Sets), a 2-mile slot car race track that followed the course of a no-longer existing British race track.
    That would be now "Meccano Erector"!

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    Ah ha! Now that would explain why my google search came up empty.

DS loves the Kratts, too! smile

Have your kids seen the old shows of Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?

Fetch! with Ruff Ruffman was a favorite when DS was five.

Last edited by Ametrine; 12/03/14 05:53 PM. Reason: added detail
    B
    B
    The video's I was talking about are called "Be the Creature" by the Kratt brothers. Here is a youtube of one episode.

R
    R
    "Liberty's Kids" is great set of cartoons about the American Revolution. I think it is streamable for free somewhere but the 4 DVD set is currently 7.99 on Amazon, up from the 4.99 when I bought it. The primary difference between the cheap version and the $50-$75 versions is that the more expensive ones have a public display license so they can be used in schools legally while the <$10 versions are only licensed for home use.

From reading the Amazon reviews lots of the watchers are AP US History students. My kids both enjoyed watching them around age 5.

R
    R
    Originally Posted by bluemagic
    Second correction. The wild Kratts is not the documentaries I'm talking about but I don't have the time to track them down right now.

That would be "Be The Creature", http://www.amazon.com/National-Geographic-Brothers-Creature-Season/dp/B000679MFQ

Those were good but not much deeper than the cartoons which really are great.

If that sort of thing is interesting... you should really watch all of David Attenborough's stuff...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM