Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 322 guests, and 8 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    U
    U
    DD is doing Common Core grade 6 math in grade 5. It appears to be pre-algebra. Distinct change from previous years with emphasis on abstract thinking, not operations.

B
    OP Offline
    B
    Originally Posted by indigo
    IMO if they weren't going to be in Geometry by 8th grade I'm not sure how gifted they really are.
    Some may say this conflates giftedness with opportunity. Possibly the example of Geometry by 8th grade is predicated on a student placed at grade-level with chronological age peers, then subject accelerated in math, therefore taking Geometry at age 13-14 (if red-shirted, age 14-15).
    Two things to the top quote, that by a quick scan I can't figure out who said.

This depends on what material the 'Geometry' includes. It's arbitrary to say they aren't gifted if they can't at least take Geometry. The Geometry class as you took it in H.S. a generation ago, the Geometry class my son took in 8th grade, the new Common Core 'aligned' geometry class. I keep saying this like a broken record, but Common Core redefines what curriculum is in "geometry", and what is in Algebra I, and what 8th grade math looks like.

And if you look back in history, you can't say that kids 30 years ago weren't gifted because they weren't in Geometry in 8th, when it often wasn't available. Giftedness is not defined by by knowing certain material by a certain age. Just because my kid read at 3, doesn't mean that ALL gifted kids read by 3, or that those who don't aren't gifted in the language arts.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by bluemagic
    This depends on what material the 'Geometry' includes. It's arbitrary to say they aren't gifted if they can't at least take Geometry. The Geometry class as you took it in H.S. a generation ago, the Geometry class my son took in 8th grade, the new Common Core 'aligned' geometry class. I keep saying this like a broken record, but Common Core redefines what curriculum is in "geometry", and what is in Algebra I, and what 8th grade math looks like.

And if you look back in history, you can't say that kids 30 years ago weren't gifted because they weren't in Geometry in 8th, when it often wasn't available. Giftedness is not defined by by knowing certain material by a certain age. Just because my kid read at 3, doesn't mean that ALL gifted kids read by 3, or that those who don't aren't gifted in the language arts.
    Well said.

figure out who said
    A quick shortcut is to click on the [Re: XXXXXX] in the top frame of the post (in this case, it was [Re: nicoledad] and the quote came from the last sentence in that post).

P
    P
    Here's the info from our HS.

Math Scope and Sequence Information—SPRING 2014

The information provided below is for parents and students to become familiar with the typical progression of math courses from 9th grade through 12th grade at ----- High School.

Although our goal is to provide students with the most challenging curriculum in math, it should be noted that the acceleration of math is provided for those students who are developmentally ready.

All parents/guardians are encouraged to become familiar with the math courses available at -----Middle School, ---- Middle School and -----High School. The following table represents a typical continuum of math classes for our High School.

Regular Track:
    6th grade
    7th grade
    8th grade
    9th grade - Algebra I
    10th grade - Geometry
    11th grade - Mathematical model/ Algebra II
    12th grade - Algebra II/ Pre Calculus/ Statistics

Accelerated Track:
    6th - 6th and some 7th
    7th- 7th and 8th
    8th- Algebra I
    9th- Geometry
    10th- Algebra II
    11th- PreCal
    12th- AP Calculus AB or Ap Statistics

Gifted Tracks (USED TO BE)
    6th- 7th and 8th
    7th- Algebra I
    8th- Geometry
    9th- Algebra II
    10th- Pre AP Calculus/ Ap Statistics
    11th- AP Calculus AB
    12th- AP Calculus BC

But starting next year, Gifted track will become the same sequence as accelerated except called TAG class and more in depth (supposedly).

Here's more excerpt from the school website:

Four years of high school math and science are required for graduation with endorsements. The math credits must include Algebra I, Geometry, Algebra II, and one other Advanced Math class (as defined by TEA : Precalculus, Statistics, AP Statistics).

Most colleges and universities expect students to be taking math of increasing rigor through their senior year of high school. Therefore, college-bound students who qualify and choose to take Algebra I in middle school should plan to take advantage of additional math courses available their senior year of high school. If a math class is not taken in the senior year, the student will be at a disadvantage when entering college and colleges will want an explanation.

Information for parents/guardians to consider:

• Concurrent Enrollment and Dual Credit (Early College Start) ~ Juniors and Seniors only. Students must apply to the university on their own, provide their own transportation, and there is no guarantee that students will be able to coordinate a university class with the high school schedule. Classes may be available through ---- Community College.

• High school classes ~ Students who move rapidly through the math curricula will be in high school courses with older and, perhaps, more mature students. The highest level calculus class offered in high school is AP Calculus BC. If a student takes this calculus class before their senior year, they cannot take the next calculus class in the sequence until their freshman year in college.

• Rapid pace ~ Many people have expressed concerns about the rapid pace of the accelerated math program and have expressed concerns about the emotional and developmental appropriateness of students in the program. Their concerns are very valid. However, for the exceptionally talented student who is highly motivated in math, research is available in support of acceleration. With new mathematics TEKS being introduced beginning in Fall 2014, acceleration should be undertaken with extreme caution to avoid gaps in knowledge and skills. There is no substitute for time, practice and repeated exposure to content to solidify mathematical skills and concepts.

----------------------------------------------------
    In the nutshell, they are decelerating gifted track students. This is the HS that have 40-50 NMS scholars a year. They leave the door ajar by mentioning exceptionally talented students so we see what happens when we get there.

I
    I
    decelerating gifted
    Sadly, this is the universal story. Based on what is reported as occurring in some districts, some may predict that when the "repeated exposure to content" is not well-received by "exceptionally talented students", the district may call for further deceleration as the remedy.

B
    OP Offline
    B
    Originally Posted by Peter
    In the nutshell, they are decelerating gifted track students. This is the HS that have 40-50 NMS scholars a year. They leave the door ajar by mentioning exceptionally talented students so we see what happens when we get there.
    Are they going to continue to offer AP Calculus BC for the top level kids? If so the kids will get to the same place in the end. Most places I know ones takes AB or BC calc, not one then the other. And that is how the AP system sells the class. I was surprised to see the current Calculus sequence.

The question is it enough for your kids? Will these TAG classes really be more difficult. My son would be happier if the classes he was taking had more proofs in them and did more abstract math.

Even though it doesn't say anywhere in the document about Common Core, if you are in the US I suspect that is what is driving this. Is this a public school? If it is I'm very surprised by the 4 year math requirement. Their line about NEEDING 4 years of math to get into college is a little bit stretching it. IF you are going into STEM, yes.. And IF you want a top tier school, yes. But lots & lots of universities will accept students who's top math class is Algebra II.

Last edited by bluemagic; 12/04/14 02:27 PM.
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    In some states, the line about needing four years of math to enter college is related to the entry requirements for public 4-years. Check what the matriculation requirements are for the state unis. While HS grad requirements generally are designed to meet or exceed the uni entry requirements, sometimes they add hoops that the unis don't need from you.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    P
    P
    Originally Posted by bluemagic
    Originally Posted by indigo
    IMO if they weren't going to be in Geometry by 8th grade I'm not sure how gifted they really are.
    Some may say this conflates giftedness with opportunity. Possibly the example of Geometry by 8th grade is predicated on a student placed at grade-level with chronological age peers, then subject accelerated in math, therefore taking Geometry at age 13-14 (if red-shirted, age 14-15).
    Two things to the top quote, that by a quick scan I can't figure out who said.

ITA - very well said smile

I'll also add - and I won't say this happens anywhere else because I can only speak for where I'm at - but here opportunity knocks more often in higher SES schools, *especially* in the early elementary years where parental involvement in the school and in children's lives can make a huge impact.

polarbear

Q
    Q
    Our district adopted CC but thankfully chose to pass on the combined Algebra/Geometry sequences. I think it would be nearly impossible for late acceleration under that model.

Both arguments for and against late acceleration(7th & later) have merits for different reasons. On the one hand, it is far more practical to accelerate in elementary before you hit Algebra I. You really want every concept/procedure from Algebra I onward to be completely solid rather than "easy come easy go" so I would personally hesitate about "skipping" from Algebra I onward. On the other hand, many kids sail through elementary math and even Pre-Algebra but their advance ability or lack thereof only become apparent after they tackle Algebra. In that sense, it is logical to wait until they get to a level that actually measures more advance abilities before accelerating. Having said all this, these analyses don't necessary apply to "gifted" students BUT keep in mind that the accelerated tracks tend to be rather inclusive and aren't normally reserved for technically "gifted" students. Oftentimes, you have to come up with guidelines that fit the top 25% (or more) rather than the top 2%.

I
    I
    "skipping" from Algebra I onward
    Some may say that compacting would generally be the form of math acceleration in the scenarios under discussion, not "skipping" per se. The material is taught at a more rapid pace, avoiding the mind-numbing repetition which is said to cause many gifted students to disengage and underachieve. A compacted class may also move more rapidly by not having to wait for students who are not ready for the challenge of the coursework, to catch up. Compacted classes, where available, may provide appropriate curriculum and pacing for gifted students.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM