Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 231 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by nicoledad
    If you had a gifted kid in junior high shouldn't your kid already be beyond common core? All the gifted in junior high (7th and 8th)in our district will have at the minimum completed Algebra 1 and Geometry by the end of 8th grade.

Well, in our area, and from what I understand, a lot of places in the northeast, there is NO acceleration or tracking in math (or any other areas in our school). Just not allowed, don't get me started.

And common core algebra, middle school math for most here, actually includes a lot of algebra (though a fair amount is covered before the actual algebra class),some geometry, and bits of trig and algebra 2- it's not really directly comparable.

B
    B
    Originally Posted by Zen Scanner
    To meet acceleration needs, tracking with fluid track changes, remediation, common core, and existing materials, then I think they need to consider a radical departure.

Teach to One:
    http://www.newclassrooms.org/reimagine.html

This program is really impressive, the results are particularly powerful for kids striving to succeed. Without a change from the traditional linear classroom, it would be hard to move out of ruts.

Also, they could be looking at digital textbooks (aka techbooks) as the good ones will be dynamically maintained, allow for self-assessment, compacting, additional practice, and still meet the common core thinking needs.

If none of that, then they could implement a math learner model they are working towards that splits curriculum into internally consistent dependency tracks so that a kid can move along more than one track concurrently.

In terms of the direct experience with compacting question, DS8 doesn't have experience with middle school math and likely never will as he's moving onto high school algebra.

This does look really interesting. It doesn't sound like they've really worked all the kinks out yet though.

"Perhaps even more surprising was the performance of those students who came in “at grade level” and “above grade level” prior to engaging in the TtO program. “At grade level” students gained virtually the same amount of growth as the national average. “Above grade level” students performed even worse, falling short of the national average with a ratio of 0.89 to 1.

Rose has been careful to note the areas for TtO’s furthered improvement particularly as the program grows. This year, more than 6,000 students will engage in the TtO program, nearly double the number of students from the year before.

Rose believes that this issue was linked to hesitation on the TtO staff’s part to aggressively challenge the higher-performing students. “We have come to believe that we were simply too conservative in how we generated unique schedules for [the above average] student population,” Rose admitted. “Recently, we’ve been more aggressive with our progressions.” What does this look like in practice? High-scoring students will rotate to more challenging, high-level activities at a quicker pace."

I'd love to see an effective implementation in the future. In theory especially in schools with enough classes per grade this seems promising.

C
    C
    Used to be in our district...

Standard Path: 6th grade math, 7th grade math, 8th grade math ( consisting of pre-algebra), 9th grade algebra, 10th grade geometry, then continue on with math in a college prep direction (algebra II, Pre-calc) or continue on with math in alternate classes or continue on in math trying to redo the required algebra and geometry which is required to graduate (so trying to pass EOCs)

More of an Honors path: 6th grade honors math, 7th grade honors math (consisting of pre-algebra), 8th algebra, 9th geometry and then continue on in a college prep direction

Those used to be only choices and if you wanted to go beyond that you needed to take a class online to get ahead. And there was nothing slower (so no pre-algebra in 9th grade...all 9th graders have to be in at least algebra)

Now there is an additional path (just in time for my younger son):
    6th grade: 6th grade math and pre-algebra together, 7th grade: algebra, 8th grade geometry and 9th grade continue on in college prep direction.

N
    N
    Our high school district is like that but they are supposedly adding an official additional path which we've seen on paper but not in a course book. Algebra would be in 6th grade and continue on in order. It's something that had to be done since the elementary and middle school district are different than the high school district and the gifted kids in junior high are taking Geometry in 7th grade. On this track kids take multivariable calculus junior year thus completing 2.5 years of calculus.

P
    P
    Originally Posted by bluemagic
    it's recommended for the fastest kids to take compacted classes. Pushing 7/8/9th grade in two junior years. Or 9/10/11th (Algebra I, Geometry, Algebra II) in two years. The official documents from my states does not recommend compaction before 7th grade.

I think it is easier to compact before Algebra I. If not, even MG kids willl be bored stiff in elementary years. The new common core dig deeper in Algebra 1, Geometry, etc.. and I may not want to compact those. I would compact prealgebra and start Algebra I at 7th grade for Gifted kids. Perhaps, a few PG kids may join that class in 6th grade. Besides, there aren't enough students (typical school district) who can handle Algebra I, II and Geometry in 2 years in a typical school setting (with lots of homework).

Some kids in the neighborhood did this; they study one of core classes (Algebra II or Geometry) on their own, take the test and get the credit. It may have been attributed by the desire to skip the teacher who teaches Algebra II in HS(bad teaching and >1 hr homework per day).

Z
    Z
    Originally Posted by BenjaminL
    I'd love to see an effective implementation in the future. In theory especially in schools with enough classes per grade this seems promising.

Me too. It is in a STEM themed middle school here, but this was their first year and I have not seen EOG stats yet for them. But those are focused on passing, which isn't the concern with us?

The setup at the school is really neat; I spoke to some teachers there over the summer. They said it took them a bit to figure it out but then it really got rolling. With 12 math teachers for 700 students, it would be inexcusable not to field at least one teacher who can cover the top end of material. It also (theoretically) means that any kid can run ahead in areas they grok, gifted or not.

B
    OP Offline
    B
    If you had a gifted kid in junior high shouldn't your kid already be beyond common core? All the gifted in junior high (7th and 8th)in our district will have at the minimum completed Algebra 1 and Geometry by the end of 8th grade.
    Not necessarily, Common Core Standards exist all the way through "most" High School math. These standards say what should be taught all the way through Algebra II (H.S. Math 3 -- for average 11th graders). And while yes some of the PG/HG kids might be even beyond this in junior high those are really the outliers.

You might just not be seeing the changes yet. My district has just moved the junior high math, and it will follow those kids into High School. So while by the 'old system' yes most gifted kids took Algebra I in 7th grade and Geometry in 8th grade. (And one or two outliers, took Algebra in 5th or 6th) This system is changing. Common Core math curriculum does not encorage skipping classes, added this Common Core 8th grade class. This is going to be a HARD SELL in my district, because there are lots of people who just expect that the most advanced course of math gets them through Geometry in 8th grade. (This is what my son did.)

Last edited by bluemagic; 12/03/14 05:50 PM.
    B
    OP Offline
    B
    Originally Posted by Peter
    I think it is easier to compact before Algebra I. If not, even MG kids willl be bored stiff in elementary years. The new common core dig deeper in Algebra 1, Geometry, etc.. and I may not want to compact those. I would compact prealgebra and start Algebra I at 7th grade for Gifted kids. Perhaps, a few PG kids may join that class in 6th grade. Besides, there aren't enough students (typical school district) who can handle Algebra I, II and Geometry in 2 years in a typical school setting (with lots of homework).

School District and formal documentation from the state discourage compacting before 6/7th grade. I know.. I don't necessarily agree with this. And while I agree with you that compacting that goes into elementary would be useful, it's not really on the table. I have heard (through this board) that other schools are compacting 7/8/9th for junior high. This takes you through pre-algebra, grade 8, and algebra I class. This includes a few chapters of geometry and some of what used to be algebra II by the end of 8th. Instead of the old system where these kids did Algebra I & Geometry by 8th grade. I think most kids who are gifted in math can handle this. Many of the kids in the honors elementary program will probably already see some pre-algebra anyway.

Another huge issue on the table is allowing "track" movement, ie.. a way for those kids who didn't hit whatever cutoff at 12/13 but took off once they are older (they do exist) to have a chance to get into the highest level math courses including Calculus before graduating. This is big because in order to keep these compacted classes down to just those kids who really are ready to handle it, another alternative towards Calculus before college needs to be available. The new Common Core standards taking they way they are designed doesn't get kids to Calculus and for most average kids that is OK.. it's really only important to those wanting to go into STEM & maybe bushiness in College.

As to numbers of kids, our district HAS those numbers of kids. (Our H.S. wins national math competitions partly because of the number of gifted math kids.) There were 90+ kid taking Geometry in 8th grade at my son's junior high (big junior high), and there were two 7th graders in that class. We do have a large number of kids who's parents at least WANT them to do this. Not sure if it's good for all of them. The more kid who are pushed to do this causes a backlash from the teachers because they get frustrated trying to teach kids who aren't really ready.

Last edited by bluemagic; 12/03/14 06:25 PM.
    N
    N
    Not necessarily, Common Core Standards exist all the way through "most" High School math. These standards say what should be taught all the way through Algebra II (H.S. Math 3 -- for average 11th graders). And while yes some of the PG/HG kids might be even beyond this in junior high those are really the outliers.
    But aren't all PG/HG kids really outliers? My daughter who is a 7th grader has Geometry (with mostly 8th graders)and her teacher told us on curriculum night that there is no need to worry about common core. At her jr high and probably at the other 4 in her district I would guess 10 percent of 8th graders take Geometry. While I do understand in the future junior high gifted kids may be held back by common core it seems kids who are in junior high now will not. IMO if they weren't going to be in Geometry by 8th grade I'm not sure how gifted they really are.

B
    OP Offline
    B
    But aren't all PG/HG kids really outliers? My daughter who is a 7th grader has Geometry (with mostly 8th graders)and her teacher told us on curriculum night that there is no need to worry about common core. At her jr high and probably at the other 4 in her district I would guess 10 percent of 8th graders take Geometry. While I do understand in the future junior high gifted kids may be held back by common core it seems kids who are in junior high now will not. IMO if they weren't going to be in Geometry by 8th grade I'm not sure how gifted they really are.
    Yes my son (who's a H.S. sophomore) & quite probably your daughter won't be affected by Common Core. I'm asking about this because I am a parent volunteer on a committee for how to handle this transition in the future. Well now really since my district is implementing Common Core in the junior high and then it's following those kids into High School. So next year the High School will have their first Common Core aligned math classes.

Yes you are right all PG/HG kids are outliers but not all of them are strong in math. And some may have issues like my son with slower processing speeds. (My DS isn't PG perhaps borderline if we are talking about math.) Not all PG/HG kids are good at the same things, so I don't want to say they ALL want to be years ahead in math.

So the question becomes if your daughter had to do common core math, how would you like her to become accelerated given that nothing in the K-12 curriculum can be 'skipped'. At what point would be best for the subject matter to be taught faster. My experience tells me for kids gifted in math is it's really at the elementary level.

Last edited by bluemagic; 12/04/14 12:20 AM.
    Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM