Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 376 guests, and 8 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    S
    S
    Yes, I agree, definitely these are first world problems. But that doesn't mean it's not important.

I will be watching this thread (and probably about to make a new thread), because DD4 appears to be globally gifted. At the moment, she goes to preschool where there are no academics. I am holding off on formal music instruction because she is having a talent "explosion" in gymnastics and I am just trying to keep up with that. (She was just skipped to another level again. So, she is working with kids 3 years older.) We are likely going to homeschool her (and the other children) full time, so I am not worried about school cutting into her passions. And that's how I choose, by the way, what to invest in, for her. If she is passionate about it, we will do it.

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Originally Posted by somewhereonearth
    Yes, I agree, definitely these are first world problems. But that doesn't mean it's not important.

I will be watching this thread (and probably about to make a new thread), because DD4 appears to be globally gifted. At the moment, she goes to preschool where there are no academics. I am holding off on formal music instruction because she is having a talent "explosion" in gymnastics and I am just trying to keep up with that. (She was just skipped to another level again. So, she is working with kids 3 years older.) We are likely going to homeschool her (and the other children) full time, so I am not worried about school cutting into her passions. And that's how I choose, by the way, what to invest in, for her. If she is passionate about it, we will do it.

thanks for that! I wish, wish, wish I were in your situation!
    Normally I don't go on about 1st world problems because a problem is a problem... I just wanted to make the point that with all the very serious stuff in the world I don't think what activities dd does is going to a make a difference. Depending on your view of chaos theory of course.

A
    A
    Just because some people in the world don't have access to adequate nutrition doesn't mean we aren't justified in choosing our food and drink wisely. Just my view on being involved... smile

What is to give light must endure burning.
    U
    U
    I really would look at Pinterest--there are some fantastic art teacher blogs out there. You can easily do your own private art instruction for free. Materials do matter. Get her some good colored pencils, decent brushes, small canvases, some watercolor paper, inexpensive tube watercolors, oil and chalk pastels, and acrylics if she can be careful (they stain). Children's materials are usually awful, so look at inexpensive adult materials.

M
    M
    It is a very hard balance, I would agree!

DD is now 6, but when she was 4, she was involved in soccer and piano. Soon after, we dropped soccer when she was old enough to advance from clinic to league....as soon as it became competitive she completely lost interest and has never wanted to go back, despite her closest friends all playing soccer in a league together.

Now, DD6 is involved in more activities than I ever thought we would take on at one time, but I still make sure she has at least one weekday completely free of extracurriculars. She takes piano and jazz, is in chorus when it is offered at an after-school club, has tutoring once a week for enrichment purposes, and takes tennis on Saturdays. The tennis and chorus are not year-long, she is never in both at the same time.

The future problem for us is her interest in musical theater, and her desire to be a "triple threat". She did two musicals last year, but we took a break this year so she could try out jazz. At some point, this may all snowball into a ton of activities...especially with piano factored in...which is something she loves and happens to be very, very good at.

She also wants to play the cello or harp. Not sure what we're going to do about that...if anything, it probably won't be for another 2 years!

We have had to ask her to choose on multiple occasions, because she is interested in so many things: all things music and performing arts related, but also science club, after-school art club, girls scouts, 4H......

C
    C
    It's hard because, as a parent, when you see potential, you want to act! Here are my thoughts on keeping our schedule (mostly) manageable.

1. Does my kid have a passion for it? If they have a passion, they're more likely to work hard, and less likely to want to quit. And, of course, they enjoy it which at least 50% the point of extracurriculars.

2. If it's not their "gift or their passion" what are they getting out of it? For instance, my DS takes martial arts. He did not like it when we started, but I did "push"-- not because I want him to be Bruce Lee, but because the character benefits for his particular personality were worth the initial struggle.

3. What do they give up to pursue a particular activity. In our case, we work hard play hard. The school week is packed with homework and activities- the weekends are 75% activities of choice-- if DS wants to go to the park, ride his bike, immerse himself in one of his pet "projects," or veg in front of minecraft or a movie, he's earned the time. I don't force much over the weekend, and have deliberately selected activities that only occasionally require weekend participation.

This paradigm works well in our house- but everyone's different.

M
    M
    Originally Posted by master of none
    Watch for her to be putting too much pressure on herself. Even if you follow her lead, she can lead you to her burn out. Be the parent and stop her if she seems to be headed there. Even if it means pulling out of the championship.

MofN, I'm grateful for your reply because I needed to hear it. Thank you.

M
    OP Offline
    M
    thanks all - as usual, very helpful advice!

C
    C
    I am currently looking for art class for my 3yo son, he loves to do art work, but it is really hard to find a non-instructional one (which I also preferred).

If you are lazy to prepare art materials by urself just like me :P it is also easy to find some not expensive art work in amazon or Joann store.

Mosaic and Suncatcher are some art that my son really like,

The Orb Factory Limited Sticky Mosaics Noah's Art
    Kelly's Crafts Kidz Sparkle Suncatcher Activity Kit: Fun Animal 18-Pack (for $4.8 only)

another more expensive but more fancy version is Koala crate/ Kiwicrate
    http://www.kiwicrate.com/

I am still searching for the art materials for my son to do in the thanksgiving and winter break :P

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Hi all - just wanted to say thanks again - what a month - since posting this question DD has just completely and utterly exploded with passion and ability, it's a lot clearer now what needs to be done, and I'm grateful that she is starting to voice her opinions more (in some ways at least!)

Also MON - some of your advice at the time didn't really resonate but I def started asking DD to listen to what her heart is telling her she wants to do. She is really getting on board with that. In the last few weeks we have seen her blossom at piano, just woke up one day and decided it was in "her heart" started practising of her own accord and is now making up tunes and learning her fave nursery rhymes by ear between classes to give herself something to do. The art is a work in progress (pun intended) but I started another thread about that...

Anyway, just wanted to let you all know I pop back to this thread every few days to re read everyone's advice!

BTW I am a pinterest addict now, so much craft, so little time

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs