Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (1 invisible), 360 guests, and 36 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #205532 11/12/14 08:14 AM
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    DD6 is very interested in Shakespeare right now. She has been reading (and re-reading) the Usborne illustrated Shakespeare book for a few months, and is ready to move on to something more complex. I showed her an original Shakespeare (I love Shakespeare, so we have many of his plays), but she acknowledges she's not quite ready for that yet. grin

I'm looking for some resources--books, movies, audio, or other media--that might fit what she is looking for. I don't want to make a curriculum or study unit...I'm just thrilled she came to Shakespeare on her own (she saw the Usborne book at an English bookstore in Italy and fell in love at first sight). She reads and we casually discuss, and keep it at that.

I did find an old thread with some useful resources, just wanted to see if any other suggestions are out there lurking!

Particularly something in play form, rather than prose. She is a musical theater kid, and I think that's part of what drew her to S. in the first place.

mayasmom #205534 11/12/14 08:23 AM
    I showed my DD6 selected parts of the Emma Thompson & Kenneth Brannaugh movie of Much Ado About Nothing. Specifically, I only showed her the introductory parts up through the masquerade ball, and then the Beatrice/Benedict story-line. (This required some previewing and careful decision-making, as that storyline intersects with the Hero storyline.)

She loved it, and we spent a great deal of time working through what all the language meant and what was going on.

mayasmom #205550 11/12/14 09:14 AM
    U
    U
    It's probably still a bit early for your DD, but I found that short speeches, performed by a skilled actor, were understandable by our kids several years in advance of their being able to read the play for themselves. E.g., you can find famous Band of Brothers speech on Youtube. Midsummer Night's Dream is one of the easier comedies.

uppervalley #205555 11/12/14 09:26 AM
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Great idea! I'll look into that.

Yep, Midsummer Night's Dream, along with Romeo & Juliet, are her two favorites. She also likes Twelfth Night.

On an unrelated note, she also came home from the library yesterday with Olivia Coolidge's Trojan War book. I was ready for Shakespeare...I'm not ready for Homer. grin

mayasmom #205561 11/12/14 09:42 AM
    M
    M
    These are very uneven, and probably not worth the price... but many libraries have a copy (and... ahem... some BitTorrent sites). They use the original language where possible, and edit each of the plays down to 20-40 minutes:

http://www.amazon.com/Shakespeare-Animated-Tales-Alec-McCowen/dp/B0002CHJS2

DD6 has seen about half of them, she's highly anxious and easily disturbed by characters in peril, so some Shakespeare is too stressful.

We also have taken her to 4 or 5 full length stagings of Shakespearean comedies. She was remarkably able to follow the narrative and enjoyed them tremendously.

mayasmom #205564 11/12/14 09:49 AM
    M
    M
    I managed to find a collection of Graphic Novels - they have the option of easy text and original text - my 5 year old's favourite book is his Macbeth! smile

Perhaps if I find the ISBN number you can try find them near where you are? They have Dickens too and some other classics in the same series.

Mom to 3 gorgeous boys: Aiden (8), Nathan (7) and Dylan (4)
    mayasmom #205580 11/12/14 10:44 AM
    R
    R
    DS8 really enjoyed some of the BBC2/Wales animated Shakespeare tales. Shakespeare and avante garde Eastern European animation... some were great, some were just weird. The Tempest was particularly good... They are all pirated on Youtube.

For more info see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shakespeare:_The_Animated_Tales

mayasmom #205584 11/12/14 10:54 AM
    There are a number of 'side-by-side' translations available. Barron's has a series of them, I know, and "No Fear Shakespeare" is another brand-name of a series like this.

They are arranged so as to have the original (well, mostly First Folio, anyway) text on the right hand page, and on the left, or facing, page, is a modern language translation, often with notes that explain some of the idiomatic expressions and such.

Do be aware that ALL of Shakespeare's canon contains themes, language, and content which is both bawdy and very adult in nature.

DD began reading R+J and Othello this way when she was about 6-8yo, I know. Dream, we kind of insisted on the original, since the language in that one is SO special.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Madoosa #205610 11/12/14 12:34 PM
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Definitely aware of all the themes in Shakespeare, having read almost all of his plays! We are kind of lax on that front, we stay away from text with strong sexual undertones and extreme violence, but everything else is usually fair game, with supervision and pre-reading when needed. Which is odd for the region we live in...I was just chastised by a neighborhood parent when I mentioned that DD enjoyed Charlotte's Web at age 4...."but there's death in that book! How could you expose your child to death so young?" Ugh. Good thing I left out the fact that she read it on her own at that age!

Originally Posted by Madoosa
    I managed to find a collection of Graphic Novels - they have the option of easy text and original text - my 5 year old's favourite book is his Macbeth! smile

Perhaps if I find the ISBN number you can try find them near where you are? They have Dickens too and some other classics in the same series.

Is it the No Fear Shakespeare graphic novels? Like this: http://www.amazon.com/Juliet-Shakes...rated/dp/1411498747/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_z

mayasmom #205671 11/13/14 12:19 AM
    P
    P
    Graphic novel versions of Shakespeare include the "Classical Comics" versions,

http://www.classicalcomics.com

which may be what an earlier poster had in mind. They produce "American English, Original Text", "British English, Original Text", "Plain Text", and "Quick Text" versions -- all using the same illustrations. So a kid could start with "Quick Text" and move up through "Plain Text" to eventually "Original Text".

Bruce Coville, with various illustrators, has done a couple of nice Shakespeare adaptations, such as:

WIlliam Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream
    ISBN-10: 0142501689
    ISBN-13: 978-0142501689

Coville has also done versions of Twelfth Night, Hamlet, The Tempest, Macbeth, Romeo & Juliet.

Tales From Shakespeare, Charles Lamb & Mary Lamb & Joelle Jolivet
    ISBN-10: 0810994534
    ISBN-13: 978-0810994539
    is nice prose adaptations, but not as illustrated, so skews a little older.

Tales from Shakespeare, Marcia Williams
    More Tales from Shakespeare, Marcia Williams
    -- I think I've only seen one of these in person, but if it's what I recall, it worked well for kids. Each play only got a page? a few pages? But they were very "busy"
    pages.

The "Shakespeare Can Be Fun" books by Lois Burdett are written by a teacher who has her elementary students perform these versions. The books incorporate the kids' own art. So whether the style appeals or not may be a matter of taste -- but if you have a kid interested from a performance point of view, they may appeal.
    For instance:
    A Midsummer Night's Dream for Kids (Shakespeare Can be Fun!), Lois Burdett
    ISBN-10: 1552091244
    ISBN-13: 978-1552091241

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM