Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 312 guests, and 30 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
    N
    N
    Originally Posted by HelloBaby
    Originally Posted by notnafnaf
    (and yes, I am caving to her princess craze) one pink duplo set of her favorite "princess"

Ditto!

I am in the STEM field, and started to learn how to dress more femininely in my early 30s. However, DD3 is all about princess, pink, pretty, etc.

I am a little overwhelmed about all the girliness.

i have the same problem. I am also in the STEM field and although I have not dressed down as far as some women (shorts and flip-flops make me way too cold with the AC), I definitely fall into that category of jeans and t-shirt and sneakers. So the whole pink and princess and girly stuff is kind of like "where did that come from?" - she will insist on pink straws, pink socks, pink paper and so on (luckily, green is her fall back color and she does like Thomas the tank engine).

I only wonder how long this phase lasts...

N
    N
    Originally Posted by aquinas
    Originally Posted by notnafnaf
    DS loves, loves Magic School Bus books so I am curious to try these out. And I saw over the weekend on zulily a bunch of national geographic books (early readers and such) that I ended up ordering too.

Let me know how the kits go over! DS loves MSB books.

If you like the Nat Geo early readers, the series is featured prominently in the Reading Rainbow app. If you're interested, I'd recommend a one-month membership for $10 first to determine whether the collection is sufficiently interesting to merit the $50 or $60 annual membership.

I will let you know how those MSB kits work out. Some looked pretty neat so I am curious to see what they are like once they come.

For those with iPads there is a tremendous app called Visible Body that my DD loves even though we don't have everything switched on as it can get pricey for every single detail.

Become what you are
    P
    P
    A shopping thought - My saving grace when my wee girl became (on the basis of exposure to a single sippy cup) utterly obsessed with all things Disney princess, was the Princess and the Frog. Good New Orleans jazz, a story you're not horrified to expose your daughter to, and the ostensibly princess movie is actually all about frogs and alligators romping though a swamp - the gang of older brothers loved it as much as DD and her friends.

P.S. The first time DH had one-on-one time with 1 year old DD, they headed to the drug store, loaded up on nail polish and did a full manicure and pedicure. DH responded to my astonishment with "well - *someone* has to teach her to be a girl - and you don't know how!"

He still does her hair and nails - she's almost 8.

D
    D
    I've been slowly gathering supplies for my DS6 to create an invention box. I have a large plastic bin that I am filling with many types of fabric remnants, chip bag clips (he uses clips and fabric to make costumes for plays and it's become quite open ended), plastic tubes, containers, shiny rocks, thrift store objects, washers, bolts... You get the idea. I think he's going to freak out! And, at least I have some way to contain the invention parts that end up all over our house!
    Also, Raspberri Pi kit, solar radio with hand crank, magic kit and quite a few books. I'm sure he'll get some Lego and science kits from relatives.

He still plays weekly with the Thames and Kosmos Solar kit he got this summer.

S
    S
    DD is getting, for Great Pumpkin through Xmas...
    Rip the Page and Don't Forget to Write, which so far seem big hits
    Harry Potter Legos (secondhand but nice!)
    Hogwarts library books
    Child's introduction to art (she loves the poetry one)
    Scratch programming book
    Canvasses and paint brushes
    Lip shimmer. Which I only mention because of the girly-girl discussion wink
    And odds and ends.

DS is getting baseball stuff, books, and a kind of Montessori math block game because he loves the ones we've been handed down. Oh and he got a toy clock because he's in love with them.

N
    N
    DS8 has just asked for a programmable robot/toy. Has anyone found one that works well without being $300+?

I
    I
    For history buffs: Constitution Quest game, which asks, "What's Your Constitutional IQ?"
    Amazon shows 18 customer reviews which consist of 17 5-star ratings and 1 4-star rating.

DD9 is ramping up her gymnastics craze, and wants to turn her playroom into a gymnasium this Christmas. Her entire list so far, which she has posted on her bedroom door for our convenience:

- Mats
    - Balance beam
    - Bars

Originally Posted by NikiHarp
    DS8 has just asked for a programmable robot/toy. Has anyone found one that works well without being $300+?

It depends on how much you want to spend, where you live and what you want to robot to do. You can sometimes find a Lego Mindstorms on Craigslist for half price (slightly older models).

You can also take a look at this: http://www.razorrobotics.com/robot-kits/

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs