Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 438 guests, and 22 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #205276 11/10/14 05:58 AM
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    http://www.alternet.org/adhd-brains-are-most-creative-why-do-we-treat-it-disability?paging=off

This article reviews research on the link between creativity and ADHD.

I'd love to see research on treated vs untreated ADHD and creativity.

D
    D
    Anecdatally, I'd say that "treatment" doesn't really make ADHD go away-- just makes it more manageable. The creativity seems to remain whether or not the ADHD is treated. What changes is the ability to function in ways that society recognizes-- possibly making the creativity more relevant to more people in the process.

D
    D
    I doubt it. More likely it would make it easier for her to get the vivid writing onto paper without bouncing.

Most of the relevant meds are short-acting-- easy to try, not much downside to a short-term tryout. (Though you have to check family history, etc, first of course!) We do prefer an expert provider over a general practitioner-- choice of medication is important.

AFAIK, not all ADHD people have impaired WM, btw.

K
    K
    Very interesting article. My daughter was identified as gifted and scored in the 99% on the Torrance Test of Creative Thinking. She has been diagnosed as ADHD in the past, but now carries an Asperger's diagnosis. She is a composer, author and at times an artist. She amazes me with what she can do at times. I did medicate her for a time while she was diagnosed with ADHD, and I can tell you, it was like the lights went out. She was dull, lifeless, and it seemed her inner "spark" was gone. She stopped writing her stories. For her, medication handicapped her in a way and took away the best part of her. I don't have a good explanation for this, but could be because she didn't actually have ADHD neurologically. It would be interesting to get some comments from a parent that had a creatively gifted child with ADD/ADHD to see if they noted a difference on meds? I wonder if the coping mechanisms they develop from poor executive functioning in some way give them creative super powers, almost like the blind person who develops super hearing? Nice article, thanks for sharing!

T
    T
    MON, how old is your DD again? I am wondering because many grownups and teens after all self medicate with caffeine to help them focus without them losing their energy. If she's a preteen, you might want to offer her green tea or, if she's a teen already, an espresso to see whether the stimulant helps her harness her creative energies in useful ways- and the green tea at least has been proven in Japanese studies to keep school age children healthy during the winter months...

Last edited by Tigerle; 11/11/14 02:59 AM.
    C
    C
    My DS7 is starting to fit an ADHD diagnosis (we'll know more this year)- superior processing and gifted working memory-- doesn't quite fit the profile, but if you saw his behavior.....
    He's inattentive to anything he's not interested in, impulsive, and emotionally intense.
    Highly creative, self driven toward creative tasks. The other night he made a 3D church out of paper. Totally his initiative and idea.
    Of course this is anecdotal, but DS seems to love creative tasks-- we are always smiling at his ideas (well, except the ones that are messy or dangerous or expensive).

D
    D
    Originally Posted by master of none
    When I used to work in pediatric developmental disabilities, I saw kids medicated into docile creatures and it has always concerned me. These were often kids who were getting into trouble and were so impulsive they were shocked at what they did, and they lacked ability to self direct due to the interference of impulsivity. Which made for some major frustration and self loathing. The meds really helped turn that around --in a caring environment that helped them see themselves as people who could make choices, etc, etc. But I always wondered what they "lost" in their personality
    from the meds.

IMO if a med is altering personality substantially, it's probably the wrong med.

It's pretty easy to get into trouble when non-expert prescribers use a one-size-fits-all method. I would never let our excellent pediatrician prescribe these-- we go to someone who has nuanced understanding of the particulars of the child and the med.

OTOH, I don't see disabling levels of hyperactivity as an intrinsic part of personality-- if a person is more able to function when medicated, sometimes it's a relief. My DS once reported that the meds help him be his best self. He appreciates being able to meet others' expectations and feel successful. Sometimes you can't judge this from the outside-- I'd want to know if the person is happier and feels more successful on or off meds.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations