Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 246 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #205190 11/07/14 02:26 PM
    T
    TNC Offline OP
    OP Offline
    T
    I recently had a meeting where I became painfully aware the school doesn't see my DD5 as needing much beyond the kindergarten cirriculum even though her tests "scream" otherwise. I am hoping you all may be able to point me in the direction of some good resources for those kids who blend so well you would never know they are gifted unless they chose to let you into their world.
    I am at a bit of a loss on how to continue with the school when they say "well we observed her in the classroom there doesn't appear to be a mismatch."

TNC #205192 11/07/14 02:36 PM
    A
    A

What is to give light must endure burning.
    TNC #205193 11/07/14 02:38 PM
    L
    L
    Sure - a highly verbal extroverted gifted child might be more easily noticed than a more introverted child with say, mathematical gifts.

This is one of the reasons, BTW, I had outside testing for DS6. He is the quiet, more mathy child. Although his K teacher noticed his gifts, she is an excellent and experienced teacher, who really made it a point to know each child in her classroom. Without testing, he would have faced a new teacher every year, who may have taken months to notice he is a bit different - when he finally decided to "let her/him" into his world (resulting in much wasted time every year).

aquinas #205207 11/07/14 09:21 PM
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by aquinas

This article is right on. (Thank you again for a good reference.)

Loy58 #205209 11/07/14 09:53 PM
    P
    P
    Originally Posted by Loy58
    Sure - a highly verbal extroverted gifted child might be more easily noticed than a more introverted child with say, mathematical gifts.

This is one of the reasons, BTW, I had outside testing for DS6. He is the quiet, more mathy child. Although his K teacher noticed his gifts, she is an excellent and experienced teacher, who really made it a point to know each child in her classroom. Without testing, he would have faced a new teacher every year, who may have taken months to notice he is a bit different - when he finally decided to "let her/him" into his world (resulting in much wasted time every year).

That is why I got ds7 tested too but unfortunately it made no difference last year (I know you have a piece of paper that says he's gifted but we don't believe in gifted) and he lost a whole year.

TNC #205218 11/08/14 08:18 AM
    T
    TNC Offline OP
    OP Offline
    T
    MON, DD just finished a round of school testing and didn't perform up to her potential on math which is what disqualified her grade advancement. In my estimation there were so many things that could have influenced the poor score (poor test administrator, being pulled out of class for days on end with out warning in the middle of work etc, just getting over an illness). They are checking to see if the district will allow the school psych to administer a different math assessment.

At this point while I am waiting to hear the districts decision, I am looking for resources to help me say something along the lines of "yes she has exemplary behavior in class, she does most things well, doesn't say she is bored to the teacher, has friends and is quiet and seems for from the outside happy BUT at home she goes crazy etc. and this is why..." and present an article they can read. It seems the behaviors I described are being attributed to childhood anxiety and not to school placement because all is well in school as far as they are concerned.

I was blindsided by the math result and wasn't as succinct as I could have been. The meeting was the first time I really saw that the school didn't believe my daughter needed much other than the normal differentiation that goes on in a kinder classroom. And of course I finally got heard the red flag lines I have read about. I am still in shock to realize that because there is no observable behavior problem in school (and I don't think there will be one in the foreseeable future as DD is such a teacher pleaser and an amazing social chameleon) the conclusion must be all is well.

Aquinas - Thank you for that article, I had not seen it before. I am going to delve deeper into the references as well.

TNC #205220 11/08/14 09:40 AM
    K
    K
    My daughter is the same. I love the Gross article. I love everything by Gross.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations